RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear Diff fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 02:15 PM
lexiton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Diff fluid change?

When should this be changed? The local place where I get my oil changed is trying to tell me every 15K miles. That seems a little early to me. I know its the same synthetic oil we use in the engine but I also know it doesn't have the same wear in the rear diff.

Can anyone tell me what the manufacturer recommends?

Thanks
Old 03-28-11, 04:04 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lexiton
When should this be changed? The local place where I get my oil changed is trying to tell me every 15K miles. That seems a little early to me. I know its the same synthetic oil we use in the engine but I also know it doesn't have the same wear in the rear diff.

Thanks
"I know its the same synthetic oil we use in the engine", if you did what you said, you will be looking at expensive repair shortly down the road. rear-axle will need gear oil and because it uses synthetic it doesn't really have set interval for replacement. almost all vehicles I know now days come fill with synthetic gear oil which does not require replacement unless its used in towing, commercial usage, and etc. don't let the quickly lube replace your oil. I took my 05LS430 to have trans flush at 50k and Lexus dealer told me I don't ever have to change trans fluid and there is no interval. First time a Lexus dealer wanted me to skip a maintenance.
Old 03-28-11, 05:47 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

It is NOT the same as synthetic engine oil!!!
Old 03-28-11, 09:06 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30 to 50k.

pro tip, you cannot inspect the fluid without draining it. Dont pay for that crap.
Old 03-29-11, 07:01 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexiton

Thanks
http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenan...&mileage=15000

Per the Edmunds car maintenance schedule, it shows that the differential fluid is to be changed every 15,000 miles. You need to check with the Lexus maintenance schedule (or contact the Lexus dealer). On Edmunds, it estimates the cost of fluid as $ 10, and labor as $ 25.
Old 03-29-11, 08:28 AM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JimH2
Per the Edmunds car maintenance schedule, it shows that the differential fluid is to be changed every 15,000 miles. .
I am surprised to see that Edmunds (or anyone else for that matter) would recommend a diff fluid change at 15k miles. That just seems too early unless one's diff is subject to a particularly harsh environment (i.e. frequently towing).
Old 03-29-11, 08:37 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

I used to have an Acura MDX, and the present differential fluid change interval is 30,000 miles after an initial change at 15,000 miles. I believe those are the Acura recommended changes now. However, the MDX differential differs from the Lexus RX setup. So, it seems like some manufacturers still recommend changes well before 50,000 - 100,000 miles. My experience with Edmunds is that they post the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule.
Old 03-29-11, 12:12 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The X Men
Although I can't speak for the others, but I feel that differential fluid does not generally need changing unless the rear differantial has been underwater or you do a lot of heavy-duty towing at or near maximum allowable. If you use your RX under those conditions, then your should change your diff. fluid every 15000 miles. I will say that there is nothing wrong with changing it periodically, just that it is generally not necessary until the factory-specified interval. Anybody know what the RX maintenance manual specified rear diff. fluid change interval is for owners that dont tow or go off road?
Found the link to the manual:

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_RXh_WSG.pdf

Starting on page 49 is the stated maintenance for 15 K miles +.
For the rear differential oil change, there are no scheduled changes thru 150K miles unless you use the vehicle for towing or heavy vehicle loading. If that is the case, you then change the rear fluid every 15,000 miles. Thus, Edmunds is using the "severe use" schedule on their website for maintenance. I guess I would be inclined to change it at 100,000 miles if I plan to keep the vehicle for a longer time (I do no towing).
Old 03-30-11, 07:42 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The X Men
JimH2, that is interesting that you found that in the Rx450h's maintenance manual. According to road and track, the Rx450h use an electric motor to drive the rear wheel and only the RX350 have a rear differantial.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...rx-350-rx-450h
"The RX 450h's awd option replaces the gasoline version's driveshaft and rear differential with a second traction motor, which reduces weight and allows smooth power shuttling."
Good observation. On the Amsoil information site, it shows a rear differential and capacity of 1.1 pints for the RX350, but does not even list a rear differentail for the RX450h.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehic...+LEXUS+RX350+A

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehic...LEXUS+RX450H+B
Old 04-01-11, 03:31 PM
lexiton
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the insight guys. I knew the diff fluid didn't need changed yet. I drive highway 30K+ miles a year no towing. I think I will change it at 60K when I do alot of other stuff.
I knew they were full of it when they said it uses the same oil as in the engine so I told them no. They always pull the old trick of putting a bit of the oil on paper and if it is discolored they recommend changing it. Oil gets dirty the minute after you change it and run it a few miles.

I will tell them the real story next time I am in and tell them to shove it.
Old 04-05-11, 10:26 PM
wes77
Driver School Candidate

I always use MFG recommended fluid, but hear lot of positive talk about amsoil....Who else uses Amsoil?

Anyone uses Royal Purple?
Old 05-03-11, 10:48 PM
stevengtt
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

I'm just wonder is there a front Diff fluid change for my car? My car is front wheel drive?

Thanks in advance
Steven
Old 05-04-11, 12:03 AM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wes77
I always use MFG recommended fluid, but hear lot of positive talk about amsoil....Who else uses Amsoil?

Anyone uses Royal Purple?
In my G, I put Amsoil SVG in the diff, eh still working almost at 60k now, fluid change was at like 38k I might do a UOA at 70k when I take it out.

Originally Posted by stevengtt
Hi,

I'm just wonder is there a front Diff fluid change for my car? My car is front wheel drive?

Thanks in advance
Steven
I believe that's inside the transmission. But thats a best guess.
Old 05-04-11, 02:54 AM
tim5055
Rookie

http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenan...&mileage=15000

Per the Edmunds car maintenance schedule, it shows that the differential fluid is to be changed every 15,000 miles. You need to check with the Lexus maintenance schedule (or contact the Lexus dealer). On Edmunds, it estimates the cost of fluid as $ 10, and labor as $ 25.
Rather than rely on Edmunds, I would rely on Lexus. The maintenance schedule I received with my 450h does not show that the differential fluid is to be changed every 15,000 miles. As a matter of fact, it is not mentioned at all.

If I were concerned I would contact Lexus corporate, not a dealership. The dealership is going to say anything to sell you a service
Old 05-04-11, 05:48 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Found the link to the manual:

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_RXh_WSG.pdf

Starting on page 49 is the stated maintenance for 15 K miles +.
For the rear differential oil change, there are no scheduled changes thru 150K miles unless you use the vehicle for towing or heavy vehicle loading. If that is the case, you then change the rear fluid every 15,000 miles. Thus, Edmunds is using the "severe use" schedule on their website for maintenance. I guess I would be inclined to change it at 100,000 miles if I plan to keep the vehicle for a longer time (I do no towing).
Above is link to Lexus maintenance recommendations.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff fluid change?