RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2012 RX Release Date

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 09:12 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 RX Release Date

Is it too soon to talk about when the 2012 will be in the showrooms?
Any design changes expected?
Old 03-30-11, 09:40 AM
kenbrooks2
Driver School Candidate

Never too soon! lol.

Nothing yet on the RX, but a new player is coming to town in 2012:
http://www.insideline.com/byd/s6dm/b...auto-show.html

My wish list for the new RX:
1. 300+ hp engine
2. Dual exhaust
3. Squeeze in a third row seat.
4. Remote start, tied in with Enform (like GM does with Onstar)
Old 03-30-11, 11:08 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Im going to assume no major changes, available for order starting august and on dealer lots in september
Old 03-30-11, 11:22 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Time for some changes?

Originally Posted by RXSF
Im going to assume no major changes, available for order starting august and on dealer lots in september
Isn't it about time to see some body style changes? It's hard for the average person to tell the difference between a '07, - 11'.
Old 03-30-11, 11:58 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

^^ Huh??? We're into 3rd gen now. I've had all three and can assure you they do not look alike. The average person probably doesn't care about their car so I'm not sure why that matters.
Old 03-30-11, 01:16 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbrooks2
Never too soon! lol.

Nothing yet on the RX, but a new player is coming to town in 2012:
http://www.insideline.com/byd/s6dm/b...auto-show.html

My wish list for the new RX:
1. 300+ hp engine
2. Dual exhaust
3. Squeeze in a third row seat.
4. Remote start, tied in with Enform (like GM does with Onstar)
Warning, I took a disagreeable pill this morning....
1. Not needed, on a 450 anyway
2. Just something else to polish
3. Buy something bigger, the 350/450 is perfect for 4-5 people
4. Now you're talking. Would love that one!!

Suppose I'd have to wear a respirator when buffing the Chinese car for fear of lead poisoning.

I'll go take a chill pill now...

Last edited by DunWkg; 03-30-11 at 01:19 PM. Reason: additional snooty comment needed
Old 03-30-11, 02:26 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Kind of Alike? Think So!

Originally Posted by kitlz
^^ Huh??? We're into 3rd gen now. I've had all three and can assure you they do not look alike. The average person probably doesn't care about their car so I'm not sure why that matters.
Guess I'm not average as I care about my high end vehicle. I remember the days when a car changed its looks almost every year. This is how they sold the new model years car because of the changes. Then this practice kind of stopped, but the RX has about the same looks for about 7 years now. We had a '04 & our '09 hasn't had that much of a change. Sure it has had some but the average person ( my neighbors & friends) can't tell me what they are.
Old 03-30-11, 02:34 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Isn't it about time to see some body style changes? It's hard for the average person to tell the difference between a '07, - 11'.
Hmmm. i can recognize what differences between the genz with 1 eye It means I'm special "not average"
Old 03-30-11, 02:56 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Guess I'm not average as I care about my high end vehicle. I remember the days when a car changed its looks almost every year. This is how they sold the new model years car because of the changes. Then this practice kind of stopped, but the RX has about the same looks for about 7 years now. We had a '04 & our '09 hasn't had that much of a change. Sure it has had some but the average person ( my neighbors & friends) can't tell me what they are.
I agree - they really do disappear in the masses. I almost did not even look at an RX when we were shopping for my wife because if forgot about them frankly

She, on the other hand, only cares about cushy luxury, and not how it looks, so that is what sold her on it. If she is happy that works for me. RX interior and reliability + SRX exterior would be a great combo in my mind.

C'mon Lexus - be creative would ya!
Old 03-30-11, 03:06 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not sure I could list the differences between the generations. For me it is visceral. Until I saw the 2010 RX I didn't look twice at an RX or even like it. As far as my friends and neighbors knowing the difference, it's highly unlikely. It's just a shiny SUV.
Old 03-30-11, 03:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

You mean your RX is not salt or pollen covered, David?

And I agree with you on the 4 points. There is plenty of power on the 450h. Much more than the measly 138 MPH on that Chinese knockoff. Don't miss the cleaning the chrome exhaust either. If the RX came with a third row, I'd be running for something else fast <<shudder>> It's been rumored for years but I don't see it happening. About the only thing Lexus missed IMO are some of the systems found on GM and Ford. I'm waiting for them to pair with Apple. Now that would be awesome
Old 03-30-11, 06:24 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, no third row necessary in the RX. Takes up to much room and only munchkins can fit back there.

Dual exhaust would be nice but not necessary.

Instead of more horse power an 8 speed automatic transmission would be nice.

I can tell the differences between the generations, more of an evolution versus total new look.

Happy RX Owner.
Old 03-30-11, 06:53 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I've owned an RX of every generation I can tell the differences. I miss having quicker pick up, seats that don't become the color of your jeans/jacket and I wish the car were more agile.
Old 03-30-11, 08:25 PM
Mossy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz

Actually, I beg to differ. This is the one thing that kept me from the RX for YEARS. And I am very much in to cars, and research them ad nauseum when i'm in the market (much to my husband's dismay). But up until recently, when I thought of the RX, my first thought would be that it's been essentially the same darn style since its debut all those years ago. Of course, now if I look at pictures of all three gens, I do see the difference. But I do think that the average person (i.e., a non-owner) thinks they all look alike.

Having said this, I doubt Lexus will change it. It's obviously a formula that works for them--- If it aint broke...! Plus we're only in the second year of this gen...they're not due to change for another 5 years or whatever!

(for the record, I ended up essentially overlooking the predictable styling and decided I loved the whole package).

Last edited by Mossy; 03-30-11 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 08:38 PM
jerryray
Pit Crew

I vote for some kind of overdrive so we can get better mileage at 65-75 for real world highway trips.

Keeping the car at 65 and below is very difficult, I personally am most comfortable at that speed, but no too many others are.

Quick Reply: 2012 RX Release Date