RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

After market speakers and radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 09:18 PM
Trev232
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RX350 2010 is also Pioneer. If you pull out the spare tire you can see the amp. I took my phone and snapped a few shots of the numbers on the amp, and sure enough Pioneer is labeled across it. The stock stereo is 9; 3 in each door, 2 in each rear passenger doors, and 1 center channel. The other upgraded option adds on two speakers in the rear cargo area, and single subwoofer on the driver side.

The Front Doors are a tweeter, a 2.5"(I believe) and a 6x9 in the bottom of the door. I think there are 6.5" in the back doors, and 2.5"(I believe) in the center matching the mid in each front door. You will have a tough time finding speakers in the 2.5" size. I think that the only speakers in that size are the Pioneer Stage 4 midrage component ($450). http://www.crutchfield.com/pioneerstage4 I could be wrong on the midrage size, and hope I am as it going to be tough to replace them. I may just keep them as they sound good at low levels, and add a shallow mount sub in next to the spare tire, as you can take out the cargo tubs relatively easy and build a small box or maybe even go free air with a Alpine Marine sub, in my opinion.

Let me know your thoughts...

One last thing, does anyone have specs on the wiring diagram to do a high level output from the stock speaker wires/signal...trying to find that one. Or even on another Lexus/Year as I would guess that they could be the same/close.

When will the day come when the stock stereo has at least one RCA output on it to add a aftermarket amp...I'm just sayin

Last edited by Trev232; 04-16-11 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-17-11, 07:38 AM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

^Thanks for that input. I'm going to this shop, hopefully next week to talk about options for this setup. Will keep this posted for any info I get.

EDIT: I just looked under the spare tire and I don't see any amps at all. I guess have have the basic set up.

Last edited by happy1977; 04-17-11 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-18-11, 08:41 AM
Trev232
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 Lexus RX350 Amplifer

Hey Happy1977, the amp is actually, in terms of where the tire was, in front of it. There will be a bunch of wires going into it. Think of it right below of where the passenger side seat folds down is. So take the tire out, and look further towards the front of the car. Its silver with cooling "fins", like most amps have. I had to squeeze my phone under there and snap a shot of the numbers on it. Sorry I can't find the image, but here is one of the cargo area and description of locations of audio items.

In this image you can see below the red arrow is stock amplifier location. The black arrow is the stock sub (optional), and the yellow is the stock rear speakers (optional).

One last thing that I didn't show in the picture, but you can see it, is the option for tweeters in the passenger doors by the handle. If you did Not get an upgraded system they will have speaker "looking" grills but they are not perforated to let sound through. You may try getting a new grill from lexus and adding your own, thought about it, but I don't sit in the back .
Old 04-18-11, 04:24 PM
happy1977
Instructor

^I found it.

No Sub though....not even a space for it.

I couldn't find the 9th center speaker....

But these grills are empty...

Old 04-23-11, 04:01 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Ok, so I spoke to the installer today and sadly there's no after market panel or adapters for any changes. Gonna meet with them again and listen to one of their cars for demo. Basically what it'll end up doing is Change the factory speakers to component ones, add twitters for the rear passenger, add a 10' sub, and a JL cleansweep.

Will update as I go.
Old 04-29-11, 06:07 PM
apple2004
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think add a 10" subwoofer would be a great help. but I don't know where it can be place.
Old 04-29-11, 10:18 PM
happy1977
Instructor

They're gonna make an enclosure and place it right next to the spare. Can't wait to have them put in and see how they make a difference.

Here are the line ups so far:

Focal 165 V30
Focal 165 A1
ARC10 sub
ARC KS300.4
JL JX500
JL Audio CL441dsp.

Hope these makes a difference.
Old 05-05-11, 01:33 PM
Tex Lex
Rookie

Only reason we special ordered our RX was to get the ML system. No dealer in Houston or one they were will to trade with had an RX with ML. Have only added a sub and amp. Main speakers sound pretty good. Just needed an extra kick of bass!

--Nate
Old 05-05-11, 03:08 PM
happy1977
Instructor

^Sounds good. But IMO, like I said before, no matter how good your speakers are, factory radios don't produce good sound. There has to be a DSP to enhance the sound range.
Old 05-06-11, 12:16 PM
20mpg
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I scoped out upgrading the audio in our NAV equipped RX350 because I love an amplified component based system. Because the factory radio is integrated into the NAV screen, I think going aftermarket is going to be very difficult. It can be done but you will need to hack up much of the interior to make it work.

Like you have already discovered, you first must find a bezel to mount a DIN sized head unit. As far as I know, nobody currently makes one. Even if a company like Metra came out with a kit, I would be hesitant to install those cheap looking ABS plastic trims. Too bad no other 3rd gen RXs use standard DIN radios. The best looking installs use OEM bezels and mounting parts for the head unit. Even if you find a solution to mount the head unit, the big question is how to disconnect the factory radio if your vehicle is equipped with NAV.

Because of these huge hurdles to overcome, I decided to just stick with our factory audio system.
Old 05-06-11, 04:00 PM
happy1977
Instructor

^Yeah, that's what my installer said. The factory radio stays but we're adding the JL cleansweep as the DSP to enhance the audio quality. That along with amps for the new speakers and sub.
Old 05-06-11, 06:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

happy, I did the same with my 330 - new speakers, Cleansweep, amps, subwoofers in a custom fiberglass enclosure, and Soundlinq since 2nd gen was not iPod friendly. The factory radio stayed. You don't want to know how much I spent. Let's just say getting ML in the 450h was a bargain

Do you know what the installer is going to do with the volume control button on the Cleansweep?
Old 05-06-11, 07:30 PM
happy1977
Instructor

I told him I want it somewhere where I can use it so I have the option of either using the master volume or the steering vol control. With the items that I listed, I pretty much know what range you're talking about.
Old 05-11-11, 03:34 PM
GavinTyler
Driver School Candidate

For the life of me I don't know why they removed the virtual surround function that was on my 2nd gen. It made a big difference compared to just fader and balance. I didn't even have the ML but with the right EQ settings + Front Driver surround setting with regards to the source, it sounded great. I'm dissapointed w/ the current RX's sound system. I may have to change the 6x9's to 4-way but I really don't want to put more money in it.
Old 05-11-11, 03:36 PM
GavinTyler
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know or have tried to put speakers on the empty grills on the rear passenger doors? Is it possible to do it?

Quick Reply: After market speakers and radio