RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New RX Owner says hi and some quick Qs!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 06:56 PM
py0413
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New RX Owner says hi and some quick Qs!

I have finally decided to make the purchase of a 2011 RX350 grey/black with the ultra premium package. Honestly not my very first choice of color combination but I did get somewhat a deal from what's in the dealer's lot.

I was asked a out what accessories I like to add on to this purchase but I told the salesman that I will do a research at home before deciding on buying some accessories. What accessories will you guys recommend that are must have(s) for this RX?

I am confused that if I need a special iPod USB cable to make my iPhone work with the car. I know the telephone function is perfectly paired through the Bluetooth. How about playing music and be able to browse and control from the remote mouse thing and the steering wheel?

Delivery is set for tomorrow and I am already super excited!
Old 04-11-11, 07:16 PM
ebenz315
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bluetooth audio will stream audio files as well...that's how it works with my HTC EVO....I don't have an iPhone so I don't know if it works the same way...
Most of the after market parts you would add on are going to be much cheaper pretty much anywhere other than the dealer. There are lots of great people here who are very helpful with providing resources to find the parts you want, and lots of suppliers give you a discount for being a member here on the forum. Congrats on your new purchase, very exciting!
Old 04-11-11, 07:22 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

all you need is the regular apple usb cable if you have an apple product, nothing specific to lexus.
Old 04-12-11, 03:23 AM
py0413
Driver

My salesman mentioned about bluetooth audio; however, I doubt that he knows how it actually works. I will dig into that question when I take the delivery tomorrow.
Originally Posted by ebenz315
Bluetooth audio will stream audio files as well...that's how it works with my HTC EVO....I don't have an iPhone so I don't know if it works the same way...
Most of the after market parts you would add on are going to be much cheaper pretty much anywhere other than the dealer. There are lots of great people here who are very helpful with providing resources to find the parts you want, and lots of suppliers give you a discount for being a member here on the forum. Congrats on your new purchase, very exciting!
Old 04-12-11, 03:24 AM
py0413
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
all you need is the regular apple usb cable if you have an apple product, nothing specific to lexus.
This is a good news to know. I was afraid that I need some sort of special cable to make it work properly like some manufactures have. Thanks.
Old 04-12-11, 04:55 AM
SeattleMas
Driver School Candidate

You don't even need to connect your iphone. You can stream audio via bluetooth.
Old 04-12-11, 05:25 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413
This is a good news to know. I was afraid that I need some sort of special cable to make it work properly like some manufactures have. Thanks.
If you have an apple product (Ipod/Iphone) you can connect either through blue tooth or USB. The advantage of USB if you have the NAV system is twofold. One; you keep your Ipod charged that way. Two; you can use your hand device to select music as you have it loaded by individual song, album, genre, etc. It's a great convenience feature and a lot safer than fumbling with the phone while driving.

Places like Wall Mart sell a USB retractable cable cheap. That way you can just leave your Ipod (if that's what you have) plugged into your car in the console and never worry about charging or taking it out (until you want to add more music).
Old 04-12-11, 08:10 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Jim, you forgot to mention the connection issues when the iPod/iPhone are connected all the time. Error message requiring unplugging, turning off RX, then plugging in again. Contrary to what the message says, restarting the iPod/iPhone does not fix it. At least the scrolling issue is gone.

I agree with ebenz, most of the accessories like mud guards and side door guards (if desired) can be purchased and installed for a lot less than the dealer would charge.
Old 04-12-11, 09:03 AM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you are in Canada, one of the accessories that I would recommend that you consider is the rubber cargo mat --the Canadian one is actually made by weathertech with a Lexus label over it --comes in black only and is cheaper than buying it from weathertech. The Lexus rubber floor mats are not so good though!
Old 04-12-11, 11:31 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Jim, you forgot to mention the connection issues when the iPod/iPhone are connected all the time. Error message requiring unplugging, turning off RX, then plugging in again. Contrary to what the message says, restarting the iPod/iPhone does not fix it. At least the scrolling issue is gone.

I agree with ebenz, most of the accessories like mud guards and side door guards (if desired) can be purchased and installed for a lot less than the dealer would charge.
Anita, you are experiencing these connection issues? I have an old ipod I just keep plugged in all the time in the car and it works flawlessly, so does BT audio which just reconnects every time I enter the car. Perhaps this is addressed through another update to the nav
Old 04-12-11, 01:17 PM
py0413
Driver

Thank you guys so much for all these replies. I am picking up the RX in two hours and I can hardly wait as time passes so slow at the moment.

About the Bluetooth audio, does it affect the music quality compare to USB direct connection? I have a couple Bluetooth wireless headsets and the quality of the sound was just beyond horrible can describe. I guess I will spend the night learning all the features about the new RX.

I will ask dealer about the all weather cargo mat. I got a free one when I bought my ES back in 2007.
Old 04-12-11, 01:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Anita, you are experiencing these connection issues? I have an old ipod I just keep plugged in all the time in the car and it works flawlessly, so does BT audio which just reconnects every time I enter the car. Perhaps this is addressed through another update to the nav
I have the original iPod video so it's definitely on the old side. I will check the version in the RX but I did have the scrolling issue addressed last year. The plan is to replace the iPod with my iPhone 3 when I update to iPhone 4?? in a few months. I don't do the BT connection. Overall using the USB and staying connected, it works 50% of the time.
Old 04-12-11, 02:15 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default All Weather Cargo Mat (Vancouver)

Originally Posted by py0413
I will ask dealer about the all weather cargo mat. I got a free one when I bought my ES back in 2007.
I think the Lexus Canada OEM cargo mat at local Lexus dealers sells for CAD$156. Ordering one from WeatherTech Canada is pretty much a similar price.

I settled on a Husky Liner cargo mat, pretty much on the basis of price - CAD$109 at Burnaby Hitch. It did take a couple of weeks to come in, but I'm happy enough with it.
Old 04-14-11, 10:52 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

I think the All Weather mats is a must if you want your interior to stay in a tip top shape. Just make sure you don't put them over the regular mats (at least on the driver's side). Sewell currently has a great deal running, $100 with shipping for ClubLexus members.
Old 04-15-11, 01:50 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I have the original iPod video so it's definitely on the old side. I will check the version in the RX but I did have the scrolling issue addressed last year. The plan is to replace the iPod with my iPhone 3 when I update to iPhone 4?? in a few months. I don't do the BT connection. Overall using the USB and staying connected, it works 50% of the time.
Anita, my iPod is several generations old but I do keep the software updated on it by syncing it and checking for new software on iTunes. Have you done that lately with your iPod?

I too keep mine plugged in all the time as the iPod I use lives only in the RX and I haven't had any problems with it.

I have an iPhone4, but I don't use it for music, only for the BT phone connection in the RX and it works flawlessly.

Quick Reply: New RX Owner says hi and some quick Qs!