RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

XM Radio Curious

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 08:19 PM
Barrington
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio Curious

I am curious if you new RX owners have been hounded on the phone by the XM radio sales people about continuing the service after the free 3 months are up and how many of you are going to keep the service and if so what are you paying? I really did not think that I would really listen to it but I have to admit I am considering keeping it just to have more variety. It's sort of like when cable TV first came out and we said I'm not paying for that! Hell, now my Directv bill is $148.00 a month.
Old 04-18-11, 08:28 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

If I'm not driving to work at least 30min or more, it's not worth it IMO, that's $156 (excluding taxes) per year.
Old 04-18-11, 08:39 PM
grt62
Driver School Candidate

Haven't been hounded yet, but I haven't passed the 90 day free trial yet. I skipped the SAT option on my last car, and always regretted it. Will only do the basic XM service, though, since my iPhone does everything else.
Old 04-18-11, 09:18 PM
CliffV
Driver School Candidate

I did not renew XM. My wife and I tried it for about 20 minutes split between 4 or 5 channels. We didn't like the sound quality.

Instead, I copied my entire music collection to a USB thumb drive and have been keeping that up to date when I acquire new music.
Old 04-18-11, 10:04 PM
jerryray
Pit Crew

Yes, I have been called, emailed and US mail.

Rate is high for the XM sound in my new RX450.

I don't know if I even want the traffic either.
Old 04-18-11, 10:30 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, boy. I could probably write a few pages about my feelings about Sirius/XM. But I'll try and keep it as brief as I can. I've been a member of XM radio since 2004. I was driving a 2002 Nissan Maxima, and I had an XM Roadie model that you could play through the cassette player. The sound was great, almost as good as CD quality. When I got the 2007 RX, of course, back then you had to purchase the whole XM receiver box, or whatever it was. I think I paid somewhere around $400 or $450 to have that installed.
It is true that the sound quality through an integrated XM system is not nearly as good as the CD player, the cassette player or the Ipod. I've learned this after listening to all the different modes in my 2010 RX. In between when I was driving the 2007 RX and the 2010, I also purchased a Roady unit for my dad for Christmas several years ago.
So I've been paying for two radios ever since.

My problem with Sirius/XM is when they did the merger, almost all of my favorite listening channels were either taken off the air or the format pretty much changed too much to my liking. I was really disappointed after the merger, and since I've had the 2010 RX and I can play the iPod in the car, I have to say I don't really listen to the XM radio much anymore. But I do keep subscribing to it because now we lost our local smooth jazz station in Tampa, Fl, so at least I can still hear that type of format on XM, plus I'm continuing paying for my father's XM radio, as he enjoys listening to the 40's station.

But I have been thinking of cancelling my subscription and just paying for my dad's. To me satellite radio is just not as good as it used to be.
Old 04-19-11, 04:28 AM
calgold06
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I am still getting XM for free after 90 day trial (it's been 5 months since RX pruchase). If you want to renew, wait until you get a mail for $72/year.
Old 04-19-11, 06:09 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My three months ran out and I didn't renew for 144 +. A few weeks later I got an offer for one year at $77. I took that deal, but probably won't renew after this deal is up.
Old 04-19-11, 07:56 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you spend any time in your car XM is a godsend. I mainly listen to Fox News, Bloomberg, CNBC financial, or a half dozen music channels. I take a lot of roadtrips and you don't have the hassle of trying to find a local AM/FM channel for news or music. To some people none of this is important so in that case just let the XM lapse, but to me XM is one of the great inventions of the last 10 years.

I have XM in two other cars and I let the trial subscription in the RX350 lapse and then resubscribed under the existing account for my other two radios. XM gives a discount for each radio after the first one. I also took the 3 year plan which maximizes the savings.

Remember, the great $77 deal they offer is not the final price, you have to add US Royal Music Fees of about 10%, plus state and local taxes (approx 8%). All in all subscribing to XM at the cheap rate is about 25 cents per day, it is not exactly going to break the bank. If you can afford a Lexus you CAN afford XM !!

Last edited by Evitzee; 04-19-11 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-23-11, 09:57 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hm... Been driving my car for 6 months and never seen any bill coming yet. I barely use it anyway and not planning to sign up. using my Iphone's Bluetooth most of the time.
Old 04-24-11, 01:34 PM
VET4LES
Driver School Candidate

We bought our 2011 RX350 last October. I started calling them a few days later to turn it off. It took approximately a month to get it turned off and to this day I still get mail and a few phone calls from them.
Old 04-24-11, 03:04 PM
juniorz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
Hm... Been driving my car for 6 months and never seen any bill coming yet. I barely use it anyway and not planning to sign up. using my Iphone's Bluetooth most of the time.
Can you use the bluetooth to play music from your iphone? Like using pandora?
Old 04-24-11, 04:03 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by juniorz
Can you use the bluetooth to play music from your iphone? Like using pandora?
If you have an unlimited data plan, then yes you can use bluetooth for Pandora. I have the Sprint plan and keep the phone in the cup holder for good reception. The only problem using Pandora is cell reception. Not always the best but doable.
Old 04-24-11, 05:07 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont have unlimited data plan on my iphone, just the 200mb, so pandora is out of the question for me. However, I dont even listen to xm. I got the deal for 77 for a full year, but what I really want is the traffic, which isnt worth getting on its own since its like $10 versus $3 if you get it with radio
Old 04-24-11, 05:30 PM
Barrington
Rookie

How did you guys get the $77.00 a year deal? They just sent me the order form saying it would be $142.00 + tax when my free time is up in May?

Quick Reply: XM Radio Curious