RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-15-14, 12:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Is there a way to install NAV System aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-11, 12:14 AM
charliesan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way to install NAV System aftermarket?

We just bought our first nice car 2010 Lexus RX 350. It was kind of an impulse buy as we couldnt find anything that had everything we wanted in it. It does not have a nav system in it. It really bothered me at first but when I think about it I probably only use nav once a week maybe. Just wondering though, is there any way to install a screen, toggle, nav system in these aftermarket? How would the radio screen function then? Also, what about adding rain sensors, can it be done? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 04-22-11, 04:52 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by charliesan
We just bought our first nice car 2010 Lexus RX 350. It was kind of an impulse buy as we couldnt find anything that had everything we wanted in it. It does not have a nav system in it. It really bothered me at first but when I think about it I probably only use nav once a week maybe. Just wondering though, is there any way to install a screen, toggle, nav system in these aftermarket? How would the radio screen function then? Also, what about adding rain sensors, can it be done? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
Short answer is your now limited to add-ons such as Magellan or other makes. With the factory NAV, your display and radio controls are completely different.
Old 04-22-11, 08:31 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

cost to retro fit the navi and controls [others], it will save you money to buy a RX with all the features from factory. with that note, you are not missing missing much. none Nav RX have all the controls as a button where others with Nav will have to fiddle through the screen. nice TomTom will cost about $150 and it has much more features than the any OEM i have used/using.

rain sensor wiper should be standard on all models so check your owners manual.
Old 04-22-11, 03:37 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Unless you travel a lot, GPS aren't really that useful and if only used occasionally, you're better off buying a Garmin or Tomtom. Congrats on the new car, you'll fall in love with it, I know we did.

Last edited by happy1977; 04-22-11 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-22-11, 03:59 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
cost to retro fit the navi and controls [others], it will save you money to buy a RX with all the features from factory. with that note, you are not missing missing much. none Nav RX have all the controls as a button where others with Nav will have to fiddle through the screen. nice TomTom will cost about $150 and it has much more features than the any OEM i have used/using.

rain sensor wiper should be standard on all models so check your owners manual.
Agreed, Buy a decent Garmin or Tom Tom should be enough.

I don't think rain sensing wiper is standard on all model. It's available in Comfort Package. It's not in Premium Package (almost standard in all models.)
Old 04-22-11, 04:24 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default Adding Rain Sensing Wipers

We just bought our first nice car 2010 Lexus RX 350. It was kind of an impulse buy as we couldnt find anything that had everything we wanted in it... Also, what about adding rain sensors, can it be done? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
Here are a couple of posts to this forum by JiniJazz, who installed the Rain Tracker aftermarket product, and who seems happy with it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er#post6267266

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er#post6283713
Old 04-22-11, 10:34 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Well that's why I love iPhone. With bluetooth support, all my personal entertainment, phone, GPS, and much more - always with me in every car I have. Much better map, much better feature, and no silly restrictions. Hyundai started it, and BMW now sees this is the future. Have I mentioned iPhone also does what radar detector used to do?

Last edited by JiniJazz; 04-22-11 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-23-11, 12:24 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IPhone is too small, you'll need an IPad instead.
Old 04-23-11, 02:00 AM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Originally Posted by wyau01
IPhone is too small, you'll need an IPad instead.
Not for me. I found iPhone is more than enough, Besides, turn by turn voice is doing its job very well if you need additional guide.
Old 04-24-11, 10:33 PM
CliffV
Driver School Candidate

This last December I was in Car Toys looking for a Christmas present. I stumbled across the Kenwood DNX9960 and wondered whether it would have made more sense to get this unit. The GPS in it is made by Garmin.

The OEM GPS in the Lexus is enough of a pain that this unit might just make sense.

Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 04-25-11, 10:54 AM
timlrx11
Driver

Originally Posted by JiniJazz
Not for me. I found iPhone is more than enough, Besides, turn by turn voice is doing its job very well if you need additional guide.
Did you have to buy a special app for the iPhone for the turn by turn voice? Such as TomTom. What do use to hold your iPhone to the dashboard?

Old 04-25-11, 11:13 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by timlor
Did you have to buy a special app for the iPhone for the turn by turn voice? Such as TomTom. What do use to hold your iPhone to the dashboard?

Old 04-25-11, 11:17 AM
timlrx11
Driver

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
People jailbreaking Iphone to get free app. Yes they are all voice turn by turn (TomTom, Navigon ~$60..) the vent holder for Iphone cost ~ $5 - $20. U'll find them over Ebay.
Thanks for your insight.

Old 04-25-11, 01:40 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
People jailbreaking Iphone to get free app. Yes they are all voice turn by turn (TomTom, Navigon ~$60..) the vent holder for Iphone cost ~ $5 - $20. U'll find them over Ebay.
I wouldn't use typical vent holder since it looks ugly when iphone is unmounted. The requirement for the right mounting device is (at least for me)

1. Very easy to mount/unmount
2. Looks good or unnoticeable when iphone is unmounted. You don't want to ruin RX interior
3. Easy to change the orientation (vertical & horizontal)

I am using patent magnetic piece (so that it doesn't interfere with any other electronic device - ie. stereo). I will try to find the name and post picture later
Old 04-25-11, 01:48 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Originally Posted by timlor
I use TomTom app. No need to be jailbroken. The turn by turn voice will come out through RX speaker. Since the mounting position is much closer to you, you still can touch and control and clearly see the content. iPhone's own voice command is at your fingertips too. One of my other car has OEM Nav, I stopped using it ever since the map is out dated.

Last edited by JiniJazz; 04-25-11 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Is there a way to install NAV System aftermarket?