RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

15k Checkup--What is it and why is it so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 04:53 PM
glennc100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15k Checkup--What is it and why is it so expensive?

My wife just took her RX in for the 15k checkup. $200 for the checkup, wow! Is this just a really expensive oil change or do they actually do something?

Can anyone shed some truth on the 15k checkup, cause I feel ripped.

Thanks Wilkie Lexus, never again.
Old 04-30-11, 05:50 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Hopefully you received a detailed invoice indicating all of the work performed and it doesn't just say 15K check up.
Old 04-30-11, 06:52 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

^Yeah, it should be on the invoice. We wouldn't know why.
Old 04-30-11, 07:53 PM
glennc100
Driver School Candidate

this invoice lists:

15k 15,000 MILE SERVICE **RESET "MAINTENANCE
REQ'D" LIGHT**
51 CLEX 1.70............................................................195.50

then goes to list a cabin air filter for $47.05 and three wiper blades totaling approx $30. And state inspection for $69.40

All totaled w/ tax: $363.33

ugh
Old 04-30-11, 08:53 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

What? No way, they replaced your wiper blades without telling you first if you wanted it changed? Cabin air filter does not cost that much and that's a DIY fix. Just wow.
Old 04-30-11, 11:32 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two kinds of cabin filters, particle and carbon element.
Particle is like $15, and the carbon element is $42.
Old 04-30-11, 11:41 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

also, if you go in stating you want the schedule regiment, they will do what is prescribed for 30K. For instance, wipers are changed every 30K miles. They will also charge you for "visual inspection" and "top off all fluids". Next time, you can just go in and say oil change, and bypass all the other stuff.
Old 05-01-11, 05:30 AM
glennc100
Driver School Candidate

They replaced the blades w/o talking to my wife. And I'm not sure what kind of filter they put in the cabin.

After seeing the bill yesterday afternoon, I have decided to call Wilkie and talk to the service dept about the bill. Hopefuly they will explain it a little better. I can't imagine they would want a dissatisfied customer.
Old 05-01-11, 07:10 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Wow I could have purchased three cabin filters and one and a half sets of wiper blades for those prices.

Mine is due for 15K service in July. I will tell them to do tire rotation and the necessary adjustments and inspections since I changed the cabin filter, key fob batteries and wiper blade inserts already.
Old 05-01-11, 09:18 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

18 Months or 15K

❏ Clean air conditioner filter
❏ Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
❏ Replace Smart Key battery
❏ Reset maintenance reminder light
❏ Re-torque nuts and bolts of driveshaft (RX350 AWD)
❏ Rotate tires
❏ Tighten axle shaft bolts (RX450h AWD)
❏ Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
❏ Check installation of driver’s floormat
❏ Road-test vehicle
❏ Inspect the following:
___Axle shaft boots
___Ball joints and dust covers
___Body
___Brake lines and hoses
___Engine coolant (RX 350; see page 28)
___Engine/inverter coolant (RX 450h; see page 28)
___Exhaust pipes and mountings
___Rack and pinion assembly
___Rear differential oil (RX 350 AWD)
___Steering linkage and boots
___Transfer case oil (RX 350 AWD)
___Variable gear ratio steering assembly(RX 450h)

Note: If 0W-20 oil was not used at last oil change, or if you drive primarily under certain
special operating conditions, you should also replace the engine oil with 0W-20 oil and
replace the oil filter. See page 3 for conditions that apply. Some conditions require
additional maintenance. See below.

Driving off-road, on dirt roads or on dusty roads:
❏ Inspect engine airfilter
❏ Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis

Towing a trailer, using a car-top carrier or heavy vehicle loading:
❏ Replace rear differential oil (RX350 AWD)
❏ Replace transfer case oil (RX350 AWD)
❏ Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis

Taken from the on-line maintenance manual for a 2010 RX450h
Old 05-01-11, 09:42 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We recently purchased a new 2011 RX after trading in our 2001 RX. I was somewhat reluctant to buy another RX. Not because we had problem with the 2001 but just because of these kinds of maintenance requirements and the almost arrogant attitude of the service personnel. We live in PA and have an required annual vehicle inspection that covers at least 95% of these items. Change the oil and reset the reminder, Great. Tires are rotated by my tire shop every 5000 miles for free. The 2001 NEVER had a battery replacement for the key fob! Replacing the engine air filter and cabin air filter are simple to do yourself. So....why all the expense? Simple.....it makes money for the dealer. I once questioned a prior service adviser about the necessity of many of these things and his response was, "Because Sir, you are driving a Lexus!" After that the car was maintained by Toyota. Same parts, same service, and far less expensive. Can I afford to pay Lexus, thankfully yes. I just don't like to be ripped off or have them take advantage of me. Just my thought.
Old 05-01-11, 11:34 AM
glennc100
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cafpaf
We recently purchased a new 2011 RX after trading in our 2001 RX. I was somewhat reluctant to buy another RX. Not because we had problem with the 2001 but just because of these kinds of maintenance requirements and the almost arrogant attitude of the service personnel. We live in PA and have an required annual vehicle inspection that covers at least 95% of these items. Change the oil and reset the reminder, Great. Tires are rotated by my tire shop every 5000 miles for free. The 2001 NEVER had a battery replacement for the key fob! Replacing the engine air filter and cabin air filter are simple to do yourself. So....why all the expense? Simple.....it makes money for the dealer. I once questioned a prior service adviser about the necessity of many of these things and his response was, "Because Sir, you are driving a Lexus!" After that the car was maintained by Toyota. Same parts, same service, and far less expensive. Can I afford to pay Lexus, thankfully yes. I just don't like to be ripped off or have them take advantage of me. Just my thought.
Thank you for your insight. Lesson learned.
Old 05-01-11, 11:56 AM
tim5055
Rookie

Originally Posted by cafpaf
I agree! I have a small shop that does all of my routine maintenance and if there is something I would rather have a "dealer" complete, it will be a Toyota dealer. I have a friend that works for Toyota corporate and he has confirmed not only "same parts, same service" but also same specialty tools and training classes. In 11 years of ownership on our RX300 we never had anything done that a Toyota dealer said had to go to Lexus. In one city we lived in one of the Toyota dealers had an "agreement" with the Lexus dealer and refused to touch a Lexus, but the other dealer across town had no problems.

What really opened my eyes to this was soon after buying the RX300 I noticed the tires wearing a little funny. Every Lexus dealer in the vicinity priced the 4 wheel alignment the exact same - $159.00. The Toyota dealer did it for $59 on the same rack Lexus would have used. Now the Lexus dealer has a very nice waiting room and I can get a cappuccino while I wait, but I can buy it at Starbucks for less than $100! As a matter of fact, I'll go to Dunkin Donuts and save even more money
Old 05-01-11, 12:16 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ I agree with toyota using the same parts, but there is a huge difference in service at least in my area. No free drinks and snacks in the waiting room, no free loaner car, no car wash are just some of the things.
Old 05-01-11, 04:22 PM
tim5055
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF
No free drinks and snacks in the waiting room, no free loaner car, no car wash are just some of the things.
Nothing free in the Lexus waiting room either. You pay for it through the inflated costs.

Quick Reply: 15k Checkup--What is it and why is it so expensive?