RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone here have burnt/dirt problem with clear bra on fog light lenses?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 04:02 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anyone here have burnt/dirt problem with clear bra on fog light lenses?

I installed clear bra awhile back, including the fog lights. Now I'm having a problem with the clear bra - it seems like there is "burnt" look to the plastic film? So when you look at the fog lights when it is on, the light comes out blurry and not sharp as it should be. I thought it was dirt, so I tried washing it; also tried using a bug/tar remover...both didn't help. Short of going back to my clear bra installer to remove and reinstall again, anyone have any recommendations on how to get the film clear again?

front facing:

left front fog light:

left front fog light (close up):

right front fog light (close up):

Last edited by Stormforge; 05-24-11 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-24-11, 08:17 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to see your problem with your fog lights. I think "cloudy" is another term to describe your problems?

Mine is running well without problems for more than 5 years. I have had film on fogs and headlights (with HID low beam, Piaa halogen high beam) and did not encounter the problems.

May I ask what brand of film was used by your clear bra installer? Some film manufacturer specifically do not recommend the film to be installed on lights. For Ventureshield ultra, it is okay.

Hope it help.
Old 05-24-11, 08:37 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Just spotted the following post which mentions the fog lens cover is actually made of glass. Now I will see your problem in a different light. Maybe film on lens cover made of glass could cause problem?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...attered-5.html

My IS has plastic lens cover for the fog and the film looks okay after 5 years. I have to observe what will happen to my RX after some more driving.,
Old 05-24-11, 10:55 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by AndyL
Sorry to see your problem with your fog lights. I think "cloudy" is another term to describe your problems?

Mine is running well without problems for more than 5 years. I have had film on fogs and headlights (with HID low beam, Piaa halogen high beam) and did not encounter the problems.

May I ask what brand of film was used by your clear bra installer? Some film manufacturer specifically do not recommend the film to be installed on lights. For Ventureshield ultra, it is okay.

Hope it help.
i'm using venture shield; yup, "cloudy" is a better description, couldn't think of the right word lol. i have film on my headlights, no problem there, just the fogs. i guess i will give my installer a call and see what he has to say.
Old 05-24-11, 11:21 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like it is caused by the heat from the bulbs. Center is darker which would be the hottest point. Plastic lens would not get as hot.

Good Luck
Old 05-25-11, 06:50 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Stormforge,

Seems that glass lens is the culprit. I just have the clear bra on the fog for less than 2 weeks. How long did it take you to discover the problem? I will keep my eyes on.
Old 05-25-11, 10:45 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The X Men
Are you using high wattage bulb?
That's the question I wanted to ask as well. I planned to install PIAA Extreme force 4700K for the fogs.
Old 05-25-11, 11:55 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by AndyL
Stormforge,

Seems that glass lens is the culprit. I just have the clear bra on the fog for less than 2 weeks. How long did it take you to discover the problem? I will keep my eyes on.
good question, it's probably been there for awhile but i haven't really noticed it until last week when i spent some time doing some detailing work.

Originally Posted by The X Men
Are you using high wattage bulb?
nope, they are oem bulb. i've been wanting to swap bulbs over to like what kitlz et al have done, but i've never had the time to do any bulb swaps.

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Looks like it is caused by the heat from the bulbs. Center is darker which would be the hottest point. Plastic lens would not get as hot.
yeah, i think you're right. the fact is, i always have my low beam headlights on with my fogs when i drive at night.

Last edited by Stormforge; 05-25-11 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-27-11, 08:11 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stormforge, I am contemplating the application of a clear bra for our new RX and I am studying the pictures you attached of your car. We are also considering Ventureshiesd. Do you know if the seam just below the fog light is a standard practice for this brand or does is depend on the installer? I did not know what to expect, but I thought that the film would not be cut out around the sensors and lights, but rather go right to the very edge of the lights, sensors, etc. Also, I notice that at the edges of the film, it seems to collect dirt. Is this difficult to clean and must you do something special to the bra when you wash the car. Sorry if I am off topic a bit but I am attempting to collect as much information as I can prior to having this done. Thanks!
Old 05-27-11, 10:39 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cafpaf
Stormforge, I am contemplating the application of a clear bra for our new RX and I am studying the pictures you attached of your car. We are also considering Ventureshiesd. Do you know if the seam just below the fog light is a standard practice for this brand or does is depend on the installer? I did not know what to expect, but I thought that the film would not be cut out around the sensors and lights, but rather go right to the very edge of the lights, sensors, etc. Also, I notice that at the edges of the film, it seems to collect dirt. Is this difficult to clean and must you do something special to the bra when you wash the car. Sorry if I am off topic a bit but I am attempting to collect as much information as I can prior to having this done. Thanks!
It depends on the kit/pattern being used as far as the cutouts for headlamp washers, towhole are concerned. For the edge of the film which collects dust, it depends on the skill of the installer and how he perceives the way the kit is installed. A good installer should pay particular attention to the seams as they won't look good on a white car with collected dirt.

Last edited by AndyL; 05-27-11 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-27-11, 11:21 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

cafpaf, I have the seam under the fogs too on my clear bra, 3M. I think that's pretty standard. The dirt accumulates here and there but I'm not too concerned. Lifetime warranty

Storm, I can't say I have the same problem. It's illegal to put film on the fogs and headlights in my state. Sometimes I wonder if driving is legal with all the laws I probably wouldn't do it anyway with the HIDs in there. Might be time to revisit your installer to address the problem, sorry to say Very clean RX BTW. Aurora White, don't see that color ever around here.
Old 05-27-11, 04:20 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by cafpaf
what andyl said, re seam.

my problem was that i could not wash the RX for weeks or months at a time (winter season followed by rainy season, etc). so my RX got dirty and dirt builds up. if you wash your car frequently, you shouldn't have a dirt problem with the clear bra.

as for diffculty of cleaning, if it does get caught at the edges, it is very difficult to remove (if not impossible). from five feet away or more, you will not notice the dirt, only when up close.

washing the RX, just wash normally as if you had no clear bra on.

Originally Posted by kitlz
cafpaf, I have the seam under the fogs too on my clear bra, 3M. I think that's pretty standard. The dirt accumulates here and there but I'm not too concerned. Lifetime warranty

Storm, I can't say I have the same problem. It's illegal to put film on the fogs and headlights in my state. Sometimes I wonder if driving is legal with all the laws I probably wouldn't do it anyway with the HIDs in there. Might be time to revisit your installer to address the problem, sorry to say Very clean RX BTW. Aurora White, don't see that color ever around here.
a little bit of dirt accumulation is better than having to repaint your hood or bumper due to rock chips! i think i can live with that!

yeah, i'm trying to book an appt with my installer. he did confirm by saying that the film has to be peeled off the fog light. the film on the low beam LED headlamp is ok, which i assume is because the LEDs generate low heat compared to the halogen (?) bulb for the fogs.

Last edited by Stormforge; 05-27-11 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-03-11, 01:24 PM
clearbraj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep - the film is overheated. This happens on some vehicles even with OEM lights. We just filmed a new WRX and the same thing happened to the fogs. We always recommend not films the lights with higher wattage bulbs or even aftermarket HID -many have the bulb very close to the lens - adding to the heat.

Noticed the installation of the PPF was hand cut on the paint around the sensors and fogs. We recommend a kit that fits the front of the vehicle so you can insure you do not score the paint. You will only notice the razor cuts in the paint AFTER you remove the film. Just some thoughts for you DIYers.

Last edited by clearbraj; 06-03-11 at 01:25 PM. Reason: cause we can