RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Are there many Heads up displays on the 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 01:10 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Are there many Heads up displays on the 2011?

Are there many Heads up displays on the 2011 regular and hybrid models. I talked to my sales person and she said there was not many with this option out there. I am thinking of getting a 11 hybrid. I have a 2010 rx350 now with 25K on it but it is loaded with the luxury package and heads up display and I want these same options . The display is great for trips as you do not have to look down to see where or how fast you are going. I see it on the Lexus site as a option but...
Old 05-25-11, 01:16 PM
marco5570
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads up display

I have it but it's not great. You see the speed, turns to make in nav, and the station you have tuned for a few seconds. Nothing on what track is playing.
If it were not on the car I wanted I would have not bought it.
Old 05-25-11, 01:33 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

its a rare option because its an expensive option. Also I believe getting the HUD forces you to get the luxury package which is also rare because of the price tag. This is probably why your dealership doesnt order many of them
Old 05-25-11, 01:56 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That may be but the cost of the vehicle is high enough with all the options. I guess a lot of people also do not know about the special seat extender and how much nicer the leather is with the luxury option.. I cannot imagine the seats without the extenders on them for a trip. It takes all of the pressure off your legs and makes it much more comfortable. I guess I will change my tires on my vehicle and keep driving it. It just seemed like a decent time to trade as the resale of the used vehicles went up quite a bit in the last couple of months. It made the spread between the trades a lot more livable.

Last edited by stevemcb; 06-11-11 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-25-11, 02:22 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

HUD as a standalone option on my special order 450h was $1,200 last year. No luxury package on mine. That's the great thing about special order, pick and choose

I agree with RXSF, dealers probably don't carry them equipped with HUD because of the price. I thought it was worth it.
Old 05-25-11, 03:23 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemcb
That may be but the cost of the vehicle is high enough with all the options. I guess a lot of people also do not know about the special seat extender and how much nicer the leather is with the luxury option.. I cannot imagine the seats without the extenders on them for a trip. It takes all of the pressure off your legs and makes it much more comfortable. I guess I will change my tires on my vehicle and keep driving it. It just seem like a decent time to trade as the resale of the used vehicles went up quite a bit in the last couple of months. It made the spread between the trades a lot more livable.
Can you post a pic to see what is seat extender? Never heard of it before. Thanks
Old 05-25-11, 07:42 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In Canada, the Sport package and the Ultra Premium 2 are the only ones that have the HUD option.

I enjoy the HUD as I like to be informed about exact sound volume. One thing I find it great is it gives a simple and dynamic arrow during navigation which I find it useful.

I like gadgets and HUD works for me. However, my wife hasnt found it useful yet...
Old 05-25-11, 10:14 PM
jerryray
Pit Crew

I special ordered the HUD. It's very useful, some extra features it has is to show dynamic cruise control warnings. Too bad the radio information goes away, why did they do that...

They did blow it with the clock though.

The clock is difficult to see. You have to really look down.

It would have been really cool if to the left of your speed, the clock was the default.

Of course a better option would be to put the clock where you can see it.
Old 05-26-11, 12:05 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

they should have put the clock on the corner of the nav screen.

I like the HUD for its cool factor, but I find myself looking at my speedo anyways.

Also is anyone else's HUD not calibrated to be the same speed as the speedo? I find the HUD to be 1 mph lower than what the speedo is telling me
Old 05-26-11, 10:09 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF

I like the HUD for its cool factor, but I find myself looking at my speedo anyways.

Also is anyone else's HUD not calibrated to be the same speed as the speedo? I find the HUD to be 1 mph lower than what the speedo is telling me
in my case, the HUD is about 1km/h lower that what the speedo and I don't think it is a calibration issue.

Speedo in a lot of cars are a bit more than the actual speed. I once plugged a carchip EX to the ODB and it always reports a slightly lower speed than what the speedo reports.

Besides, the speedo needle is of analog style and there is always a small margin of error.

I would deem the HUD as the more accurate reading of the actual speed. After all, since the HUD reports the speed down to 1 mph or 1km/h, it has to be more accurate as I am sure Lexus don't want to be liable for any accidents due to the reading of the HUD.
Old 05-27-11, 12:27 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Love the HUD in our 450h . This car has another speedometer in it??? I never look down at it. I do look arround to see if any lights are on and that the red and yellow ones are not on.

Last edited by billy44bo; 05-30-11 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-29-11, 10:54 PM
jerryray
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RXSF

Checked my HUD vs speedometer, looks the same
Old 05-30-11, 06:49 AM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

Test your speedometer on the highway - hold your speed at 60 and measure the time between mile markers, which are pretty accurately placed. This will tell you if your speedometer is correct.
Of course, first you will need to test your stop watch . . . .
Old 06-01-11, 06:02 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a slight mismatch between HUD and speedometer, and neither are absolutely correct. Almost all speedometers read 2-5% fast so it is really immaterial if they don't read the same. Go out on the interstate where you have a good 5-10 mile clear run and set the cruise control to read 60 mph on speedometer and time the elapsed distance and do the math to come up with the error.

I believe the HUD only comes on vehicles made in Japan so that is another reason you don't see all that many on dealer lots. I think only about 20% of RX350's come from Japan, and all of the hybrids come from Japan.

Last edited by Evitzee; 06-01-11 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 09:33 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that when the speedo read 60mph, the actual speed was at 58mph.

Quick Reply: Are there many Heads up displays on the 2011?