RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Daytime Running Lights (LED)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11, 04:07 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Daytime Running Lights (LED)

Since this RX made it one year with no accidents I decided to upgrade more of the lighting.
I disabled the regular running lights in favor of these. They were $18 on e-bay. Took about 15 minutes to install with double sided mounting tape. The drivers side was the more difficult since I have the tow pkg there is less area to mount to. They look better in person and perhaps could be a tad bigger but I like the less is more philosophy, any smaller and they would not look right.

Side Note: While taking the pictures I realized they flickered. It was not visable to the naked eye but the camera picked it up. Some of the pictures came out with them not illuminated when they were on.

Comments are always welcome.
Attached Thumbnails New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-l-006.jpg   New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-l-007.jpg   New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-l-008.jpg   New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-l-012.jpg   New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-l-010.jpg  

Old 06-03-11, 05:37 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

not bad, but the fact that it's mounted on double sided sticky tape is a little iffy for me. i think it would look lot better if you used mounting brackets. i also think it would look alot better if the led lights were longer and bigger. looking at picture #1, they look a bit on the small side (imho).

otherwise nice mod.
Old 06-03-11, 05:52 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

They did come with mounting brackets but I could not bring myself to make holes in the car. I wanted to give these a shot and see what they looked like. It never rains here so I am not worried about them coming loose. I think I will look into longer ones not necessarily bigger ones.
Old 06-03-11, 06:00 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah, i meant longer ones! well take care where you park your RX. with LEDs being a popular mod, you need to watch out for punks ripping them off (which would be alot easier with 2 sided sticky tape)
Old 06-03-11, 06:02 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

That's really looking good. Can you have the DRL and these on at the same time? Care to share how you installed them?
Old 06-04-11, 12:46 AM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty nice. It`s cool how the DRL LEDs can fit into that spot so well and doesn`t scream aftermarket. Nice mod and good to be a unique RX on the road with the nice LEDs.
It would be cool if you could post a nighttime picture to see how they stack up with the headlights too. =)
Old 06-04-11, 07:29 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

I could have the regular DRL's on at the same time but I don't think it would look good. Also, the bulbs are a different color so I would have to upgrade them to LED, they are currently 6K Halogen.

Installation is a breeze. I just tapped into the DRL wiring right by the bulb and fished the wires down to the new LED's. I left the bulbs in the sockets so I don't get dirt in there and just unplugged them and secured the connector pointing down so it won't catch water.

They will not be on the same time with the headlights as I hooked them up to the DRL wiring. Headlights on/ DRL's off. I leave my fogs on all the time, that would be a plethora of lights.

I am already researching longer ones.
Old 06-05-11, 08:55 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

I looked at those. There is only one that is better than what I got. If you look at the specs most of those are smaller than what I have. I would like to do the 9 light Audi ones but there are restrictions to the area that these fit into. For now these work and don't look that cheese ball, I am working on improving the look. I have ordered LED DRL bulbs and will see how it looks with both on at the same time.
Old 06-06-11, 08:25 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I am going to give the Audi ones a try. They are no deeper than the ones I have now. These are 8-1 watt bulbs per light, the Audi's come in 2 different versions, 9- 1 watt and 9-3 watt. Obviously I am going to go with the 3 watt. I may have to make a modification to that area to accommodate them but, I've come this far. This may take some time as they are coming from China and I am off to Hawaii in a couple weeks. I will update when the change occurs.

Thanks
Old 06-06-11, 05:55 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Well, I am going to give the Audi ones a try. They are no deeper than the ones I have now. These are 8-1 watt bulbs per light, the Audi's come in 2 different versions, 9- 1 watt and 9-3 watt. Obviously I am going to go with the 3 watt. I may have to make a modification to that area to accommodate them but, I've come this far. This may take some time as they are coming from China and I am off to Hawaii in a couple weeks. I will update when the change occurs.

Thanks
9x3 watt. WOW
Any link?

As for shipping from China, for reg. mail, it will take 6-8 weeks. You should ask them to ship by air. Cost more but a week of waiting time.
Old 06-06-11, 07:19 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

They are on order. I ordered all my LED bulbs from China and they usually come in 10 days or so. Here is the link for the lights. I am hoping this makes a difference. After living with them a few days they are on the small side and not as bright as they should be, especially here in AZ.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180638228638
Old 06-13-11, 05:51 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Default Second Set

Well, that was faster than I thought it would be. Here are the New and Improved DRL LED. Much better, the pictures don't really show them off that good. All of these pictures were taken with the lights on. It's funny how the camera picks up the blinking but not the naked eye. The passenger side is a piece of cake but the driver I think I have to improve on. Not a lot of plastic on the drivers side to attach to.

Anyway much happier with these and they are brighter than the last ones. I will try and get some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-001.jpg   New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-005.jpg   New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-006.jpg   New Daytime Running Lights (LED)-007.jpg  
Old 06-13-11, 10:46 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice, nice. But those look really good at night. Care to post some night shots?
Old 06-13-11, 10:47 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks perfect and it looks like they came from factory!
Thanks for the update. =)
Old 06-14-11, 12:00 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by happy1977
Nice, nice. But those look really good at night. Care to post some night shots?
They are hooked up tp the DRL line so they won't be on at night but, that does give me an idea. LED's On when ever the car is running day or night and I could turn off the fogs that I normally have on at night. I will have to play with that.

Thanks

Quick Reply: New Daytime Running Lights (LED)