RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX450h Possible Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 06:16 PM
DBV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX450h Possible Purchase

Thinking of purchasing a RX450h AWD or Mercedes ML350 Bluetec. We currently own a Mercedes GL320cdi and have been happy with that. We are going a little smaller this time, which should improve gas mileage some too.

Read most of the posts here on the RX450h and it sounds like the expected gas mileage should be in the high 20's (at least in the summer months) and then go down some in the winter months.

Just curious of how owners of the Hybrid like it and if they ever cross shopped it to the Mercedes M Bluetec.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-05-11, 08:07 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the M class is nice, however if its pretty late in its life cycle and a new M is slated to come out next year. Also, the M class was conceived before 2007, which was when Merc decided to spend more time engineering quality products.

The RX is cheaper, cheaper with options, and cheaper to run. Unless you need to tow things, the RX is probably the better bet
Old 06-06-11, 05:25 AM
DBV
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. In my area, it seems like the RX is selling near full MSRP - maybe a couple thousand off. Which would make it about $55,000. The 2001 M Bluetec with similar options is going for about $57,000. So, not too big of a difference in price. The Lexus Hybrid does not seem to be discounted much.

Just curious, why the RX would be cheaper to run. Is maintenance cheaper or reliability better? Thanks.

Originally Posted by RXSF
the M class is nice, however if its pretty late in its life cycle and a new M is slated to come out next year. Also, the M class was conceived before 2007, which was when Merc decided to spend more time engineering quality products.

The RX is cheaper, cheaper with options, and cheaper to run. Unless you need to tow things, the RX is probably the better bet
Old 06-06-11, 10:38 AM
RXSF

Originally Posted by DBV
Thanks for the feedback. In my area, it seems like the RX is selling near full MSRP - maybe a couple thousand off. Which would make it about $55,000. The 2001 M Bluetec with similar options is going for about $57,000. So, not too big of a difference in price. The Lexus Hybrid does not seem to be discounted much.

Just curious, why the RX would be cheaper to run. Is maintenance cheaper or reliability better? Thanks.
the mpg numbers are better on the RX. I dont know about your area, but diesel is also more expensive than premium gas in my area. Also because of the hybrid components, the RX does not have any belts in the engine to change, and also because of the regenerative braking system, your brake pads will last considerably longer. Of course, there is the battery system, but that is warranted for 8 years. I believe the M bluetec requires urea at some interval (I think your CDI doesnt have this advanced system) which is costly in addition to regular maintenance of an engine
Old 06-06-11, 07:35 PM
grt62
Driver School Candidate

I traded in my MB for an RX450H in April. I feel I made a great decision, enjoy the improved mileage, and am beginning to enjoy it more and more the longer I drive it.
Old 06-10-11, 06:35 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I own the 450h ... one tip I can pass along. The FWD version gets better mileage than the AWD version. I opted for FWD because the AWD is not a really a full-time AWD system. Check into how the AWD works before you buy and you may agree with me that the FWD version makes more sense in the 450h. I didn't cross shop Mercedes so no help with that.

Plus, I average about 31 MPG with my conservative, hybrid oriented driving style.
Old 06-10-11, 10:24 PM
RXSF

well the awd should be less efficient because of the extra 300 or so pounds of the electric motor tacked on to the back. I have no need for awd, but I was forced to get it because the Luxury package is only available on the awd model
Old 06-11-11, 05:20 AM
DBV
Driver School Candidate

My wife really prefers to have AWD, since it has helped us many times before and we travel a lot in quite a few bad snowstorms. Does their AWD system not work too well then?

Drove a BMW X5 Diesel the other day. Sure did drive well, but just don't trust their reliability.

It looks like people that own the Lexus RX450h AWD are averaging around 28 or 29 mpg with combination of freeway/local driving. We probably drive 70% freeway.
Old 06-11-11, 06:32 AM
DBV
Driver School Candidate

Ok - really appreciate the advice.

Originally Posted by The X Men
DBV, if you drive 70% highway, you should really by a Diesel, I would say BMW's relaibility is no better or no worst than Mercedes's.
Old 06-13-11, 10:49 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DBV
Does their AWD system not work too well then?
It is just one (or two) electric motor(s) on the rear. Only kicks in when needed. I only mention it because when I was researching the car prior to purchase, I remember reading about the limitations of the system. You might research it because I don't consider myself an expert on the topic, but remember being left with the impression the system was not recommended for the tough snow conditions you are describing when real AWD systems become important. Since I live in northern CA and don't need AWD in the Lexus (I have an excellent AWD system in my Subaru Outback), I opted for the FWD version.