RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

SO Many Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-11, 06:00 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep it up, love to hear the good things u experience with your RX.

My '09 doesn't have some of the things the new model has, like keyless start for one. I didn't like where the GPS screen is located now as I had big time glare off the screen.
Old 06-12-11, 06:02 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
Doesnt the gen 2 have a higher % of engines with piston slap and Gen 1 and Gen 2 have transmission isuues as well.
Now that is something I have never heard. I do have an injector noise but I hear that on many other models too.
Old 06-12-11, 08:44 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This forum is something like the news - people worry about and pay ettention to the bad news and so they rarely report the good. The big difference is that with a Lexus, you expect the good so anything negative is noteworthy. The other difference is that with this forum, people respond so you can do something about the problem if you experience it. I've not had any big issues with my 450h after 15 months of comfortable, pleasant driving.
Old 06-12-11, 12:25 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
I have a Toyota, IS and a RX. I have the problem with the AC for all three cars. After turn on AC to use then turn off AC just blow air by the fans, I have the uncomfortable smell. Brought cars back to the dealers, they cleaned them good. However the smell comes back after 3 4 days. Oh well, been living with that for years.
this is a problem with all cars. when you have the air conditioning on, moisture begins to build up inside the vents and over time, that moisture begins to "mold" and grow bacteria that gives off that sour/old sock kind of smell. Its a bit late for you now if you already have the smell, but the rule of thumb is that if you have the AC on, you should switch off the AC compressor but keep the fan speed on about 10 minutes prior to turning off your car, so that you dry out the vents before you get to your destination.

as of now, you can try blasting heat and full speed so dry everything up and try to kill off the bacteria. After that, use the tip above.
Old 06-12-11, 03:22 PM
RXSF

completely agreed, its a hassle to do it but the moldy sour smell may be poisonous.
Old 06-13-11, 05:07 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Doesnt the gen 2 have a higher % of engines with piston slap and Gen 1 and Gen 2 have transmission isuues as well.
gen 2 doesn't have transmission issues, don't know where u got that from?

gen 1 doesn't have transmission issues throughout all years, only in 99' and mid-yea 00'. They only fail if the trans. oil isn't changed, or if owners put the vehicle into drive while the rx is still moving backwards (reverse), or of course abuse which will kill any transmission.
Old 06-13-11, 11:00 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
this is a problem with all cars. when you have the air conditioning on, moisture begins to build up inside the vents and over time, that moisture begins to "mold" and grow bacteria that gives off that sour/old sock kind of smell. Its a bit late for you now if you already have the smell, but the rule of thumb is that if you have the AC on, you should switch off the AC compressor but keep the fan speed on about 10 minutes prior to turning off your car, so that you dry out the vents before you get to your destination.

as of now, you can try blasting heat and full speed so dry everything up and try to kill off the bacteria. After that, use the tip above.
So you mean I have to smell it for 10 mins of the "funny smell" after shutting off the AC? It's kind of embarrassing when i'm taking my friends out with my new car.

Last edited by sweetboy02; 06-13-11 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-13-11, 11:07 AM
RXSF

^^ well if you did it from the start when you bought the car new, then there would be no smell to begin with. I just bring it up so that you know for your next car
Old 06-13-11, 01:33 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

59 pages of transmission problems in the Gen 1 RX.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f111d9c
Ok, so obviously you didn't even read my post, so i won't waste more of my time.
Old 06-13-11, 02:07 PM
RXSF

the 1st gen had problems with awd transmissions, early years
the 2nd gen RX had severe transmission hunting and lag time. I had this on my RX and no amount of ECU reflash solved the problem. It didnt seem like the transmission would fail, but it certainly was annoying. Glad I have a CVT now, no gear hunting. lol
Old 06-13-11, 04:32 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Good news

I am on my 3rd Lexus and not a single one of them has ever had a problem. The ticking noise when cold is in more vehicles than the ES & RX but that is very minor IMO. I owned an ES350 and RX350 (both '07s) for over 5 years with no problems whatsoever. Outstanding vehicles. I traded my '07 RX350 for a new 2011 RX350 and it seems to be even better than the others. This one made in Japan because I wanted the Lux pkg. This is a dream vehicle. Just want to say one more thing, it is so nice to read the good comments coming from forum members. We all have a tendency to read the negative. The positive is so much better but all is good information. LET'S KEEP IT UP! Thanks to all for your participation.
Old 06-13-11, 10:50 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Another thing to appreciate is that when you're approaching your RX (2011), It's a just beauty to watch. That feeling that you're about to get in and say, "****, this is my car?" LOL.

I specified 2011 coz IMHO, it's the best lookin' RX.
Old 06-14-11, 09:52 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977
Another thing to appreciate is that when you're approaching your RX (2011), It's a just beauty to watch. That feeling that you're about to get in and say, "****, this is my car?" LOL.

I specified 2011 coz IMHO, it's the best lookin' RX.
2011 only . I hope you like the 2010 model too. Cause they are almost the same. lol.
Old 06-14-11, 12:11 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

But you're missing the Lexus emblem on the back with 2011, happy. Throws the whole tail gate off I'm loving my '10 because I have the sport package which you can't get anymore. Sometimes it doesn't pay to wait.
Old 06-14-11, 06:55 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
But you're missing the Lexus emblem on the back with 2011, happy. Throws the whole tail gate off I'm loving my '10 because I have the sport package which you can't get anymore. Sometimes it doesn't pay to wait.
What Lexus emblem are are you refering to that is missing on the '11? My 2011 has the emblem centered on the rear hatch door just as it should.

Quick Reply: SO Many Issues