RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

SO Many Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 08:25 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

^They're talking about the word "Lexus" emblem. Not the logo.

Guys, I meant '10 and above, haha. Sorry.

I actually like the back without the "Lexus" emblem. It's cleaner. Plus I already have the frame plate with the Lexus logo on it.

Old 06-15-11, 04:38 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

This is my first black car and now unlikely to be my last. When polished and waxed, Obsidian Black lives up to it's name. Reflective, black glass.

eDestination - use it all the time. With the mobile application on my iPhone and iPad and in combination with the web based application, I input destinations remotely all the time. Creating folders, re-ordering folders, finding destinations or new restaurants, very slick. Very "Lexus-like".

Destination Assistance - those folks on the "phone" are friendly and helpful. Really curious what all they can do remotely.

Service advisor - in 40 years of car ownership, this is the first guy who knows me. Well, okay the Ford guy knew me but called me an SOB whenever he saw me. I drive up to the Lexus service area, the door opens automatically, I drive in and I don't get wet when it's raining, I don't freeze my butt off when it's 10 below and the hot chocolate isn't half bad.

Audio - I leave an iPhone hooked up to USB 24/7 and the iPhone is charged. My cel phone iPhone hooks up Bluetooth automatically for calls when I step into the car and plays music too if I want. Contacts transfer in a breeze!! AUX hook-up for iPad or laptop. There's three pages of Satellite radio stations, available via voice command, there's two pages of FM radio stations, and a page of AM radio stations. Plus there is a CD player, which I must admit, sits idle most of the time. I must also admit the Nissan, the other family member's car, can play videos, even on the non-navigation display. Nissan wins that one over Lexus.

Speed - when I step on the pedal the car takes off, even in econo mode. I can easily get picked up on Interstate at the speeds I prefer and I can pass anyone, anytime.

Whirring Sound - I love the whirring sound when I slow down to a stop. Even the windows have a nice whirring sound, with slow down when shutting.

Quiet mode - I love driving into my neighborhood silently, using electricity.

Headlights - I love the self-test at start up and appreciate the way they move when I corner. LEDs are very nice.

Self-dimming - great 99% of the time. Wish they would stay bright when driving under 25 MPH.

Auto-wipers - turn that feature on and forget them. 99% of the time they work they way I would like them to.

Liftgate - Button on the dash, button on the keyfob, button(s) on the door, what more could you want?

Keyfob - I hate having keys in my pockets, always have. For years, locked keys in car. Now, no keys. Fob in pocket, barely noticeable and the car welcomes me with puddle lights and unlocked doors.

Glovebox - Organized for first time in years. Room for sunglasses, huge manual and my other junk (essentials).

Center console - buried some valuables (iPhone, 12volt charger and cable, AUX cable for iPad) below and a box above for most frequently used items.

Gas Mileage - nearly twice what I was getting in previous car.

Blue accents - love the color blue and the accents are distinct.

Glass - rain shedding driver and passenger glass. Low noise transmission. Great tints. Auto dimming mirrors.

Seats - comfortable and love the wraparound feel of driver's position. Three button memory, tied to the fobs. (Although, go to an Audi dealership and see theirs, wow!)

Remote start - okay, that one sux.

Should I go on, or does someone else want to carry the torch for awhile?
Okay, I'll carry on...

Heated and ventilated seats - use all the time, wish steering wheel was heated.

Easy to park - nice turning radius. Back up camera is okay, again Nissan wins that one with the moving guidelines.

AWD - well kind of, but still very functional.

Seats- rear seats fold down easily. Nice fold down rear console, with cup holders.

Spare tire - no clue, haven't used. That's what SOS is for.

Remote control joy stick - Lexus if you get rid of that I'll be P O. Use it constantly, even from passenger's seat.

Low maintenance costs - oh golly, knock on wood.

Did I mention the paint job?
Old 08-02-11, 12:54 AM
r3dast3rik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

almost 2 months, no problems. it really is a perfect car. and i can get it to 60 mph in 6 seconds. lexus has won the crossover battle once and for all.
Old 08-02-11, 08:57 AM
data2009
Pole Position

May I be the first one to say I expected a better quality from Lexus?

Since 2001, I have been comparing RX and MDX, and last 2 rounds MDX won. In 2010, I decided to give 3rd gen RX a shot. It was a bit smaller, but loaded with new tech features, FINALLY had a normal console instead of a purse holder, and no mini-wanish seats. Black Sapphire Pearl was an amazing color choice, everything seemed to be put together perfectly...

A few days later, I learned my RX was built in Canada, not Japan (a mistake I admit), after discovering the unfinished carpet under the console on a passenger side. It was unexpected, but not that visible. Stopped paying attention soon.

A week later, started noticing thin hairline scratches on both side panels. As if my RX went through a sand storm at full speed... Was a bit annoying, but after weeks went by, and a couple of hand washes, the scratches were all over. On the first 5k visit, mentioned to Lexus Service, the tech polished the side panels, and all was hunky dory again...

Then 2010 winter came... RX was excellent in light/medium snow, even with crappy (passenger) Bridgestones, but developed rattling in a steering column.
By then, the clear coat was all covered in thin scratches. Salt, ice, wind. Ice would build up in wheel wells because they are covered in a carpet-like material, and it would stick like glue.

Last week, I had Lexus Service fix a broken side view mirror, steering wheel rattling/moaning, and on next visit - a sqeaky gear shifter. Did not even bother mentioning scratches on the body. Will take it to a professional detailer.

Now, I am only comparing my own experiences with the past 2 Acuras, and based on the same period, I must say quality was better in MDXs. Well, first gen 2001 MDX had a thud and leaky mirrors issues, both addressed by TSB after 6 months.

For me, personally, Lexus experience has been so-so, and most likely will end in 2 years. Sorry for ruining a perfectly happy thread.

Last edited by data2009; 08-04-11 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-02-11, 09:30 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by data2009
May I be the first one to say I expected a better quality from Lexus?

For me, personally, Lexus experience has been so-so, and most likely will end in 2 years. Sorry for ruining a perfectly happy thread.
Lexus can't make everyone 100% happy 100% of the time. Time to move on and either go back to an Acura (nothing wrong with that), or really go to the darkside and try a Krautmobile (BMW or Audi) which have their own set of issues.

My only real issue, other than the nitpicks like no sunglass holder and unilluminated overhead light switches, is the relatively poor quality of the cashmere carpeting. It seems thin and very prone to smudges, dirt and stains. Also the cashmere sill plates are scuff magnets no matter how careful you are. I think next time I would go with the black interior.

Last edited by Evitzee; 08-02-11 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-02-11, 10:09 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Lexus can't make everyone 100% happy 100% of the time. Time to move on and either go back to an Acura (nothing wrong with that), or really go to the darkside and try a Krautmobile (BMW or Audi) which have their own set of issues.
Got the hint. Getting off this happy cloud...
Old 08-05-11, 10:49 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^ but with the incoming 4GS, we can assume that quality will be going up. from what i've seen so far, the 4GS interior is stunning. if this is any indication, lexus quality should be going up.
Old 08-09-11, 12:17 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2010 350 has had no problems. However, I am VERY disappointed in many of the interior features: a center console that requires one hand to hold the lid open, hidden DC accessory outlets, the dash storage compartment that won't hold anything while closed, overhead controls that are too smooth for operation by feel, an obsession with water bottle storage that makes the compartments hard to manage, completely useless storage pockets behind the driver and passenger seats, lack of sunglasses compartment, lack of elapsed time indicator, a weird A/C mind of it's own, and (ta dahh) a "funny spare". My RX-300 had none of these problems.

The "funny spare" is a deal killer on my next purchase. If you have a flat, the flat tire will not fit in the funny spare compartment without pretty much emptying the contents of the trunk.

Other than that, the RX-350 is nice, and mine has been super reliable.
Old 08-09-11, 01:28 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curmudgeon, I could not have said it better myself. I might add the difficulty in using the Bluetooth phone. (I have a non-nav model). I had to enter each number individually and manually. I will only hold 20 numbers and making a call is a pain in the butt with repeated pressing of the talk and other buttons. The hidden controls for the heated/cooled seats is also a royal PITA. Wouldn't it be great if the heated seat controls were not only visible, but if you could heat your seat, your back, or both iindividually? I have said this before, but Lexus could learn a thing or two about interior design and function from GM. Also, GM could learn more than a thing or two about quality from Lexus. Ah, to have the best of everything. Never possible to make everyone 100% happy.
Old 08-09-11, 02:31 PM
ebenz315
Rookie

Love my 3rd RX. Doubt I will ever buy anything besides a Lexus RX. To me, its the perfect vehicle. Compared to the BMWs and other luxury vehicles I considered, I feel like I got the most for my money.
Old 08-09-11, 02:32 PM
ebenz315
Rookie

* 3rd gen RX ;-)
Old 08-09-11, 02:33 PM
ebenz315
Rookie

Originally Posted by The X Men
By no mean is Lexus perfect, but what you guys are complaining about are minor issues. Overall, the design of the interior is not too bad. The electronics can use a lot of work. Lexus can start with getting rid of the motion lockout of many of the functions. I know its for my own safety but why can't my wife enter in destination when she is in the passenger seat?
They should have a weight sensor for the lockouts, just like the seatbelt!
Old 08-09-11, 06:56 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

and (ta dahh) a "funny spare".

A lot of the new cars including the 2012 SRX give you a can of fix-a-flat and that is it, no spare at all. Get ready it's coming your way.
Old 08-09-11, 09:35 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A couple of weeks ago, my brother and his wife were visiting before continuing on a trip out west, and they both have iPhones; and, of course, my sister-in-law immediately upon sitting in the passenger side of my 2010 RX needed to plug her phone charger in to charge her phone. I can't tell you how many curse words flew out of my mouth trying to take everything out of the damn console to try to get to the bottom of the thing and trying not to undo my own charger. We probably had to go through this about three times for each different time they rode in my car. Such a design flaw!!!

My sister-in-law even joked that that might stop her from buying this car once my lease is up(that is, if I do decide to turn it back in!)
Even she couldn't believe how difficult it is to change out the chargers in the bowel of hell down there.
Old 08-10-11, 08:20 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
A couple of weeks ago, my brother and his wife were visiting before continuing on a trip out west, and they both have iPhones; and, of course, my sister-in-law immediately upon sitting in the passenger side of my 2010 RX needed to plug her phone charger in to charge her phone. I can't tell you how many curse words flew out of my mouth trying to take everything out of the damn console to try to get to the bottom of the thing and trying not to undo my own charger. We probably had to go through this about three times for each different time they rode in my car. Such a design flaw!!!

My sister-in-law even joked that that might stop her from buying this car once my lease is up(that is, if I do decide to turn it back in!)
Even she couldn't believe how difficult it is to change out the chargers in the bowel of hell down there.
EMS, you can get the charger extension for free from the dealer. There is a TSB on it. I believe they have been included on the '11s since February.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...for-10-rx.html

Quick Reply: SO Many Issues