RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The RX can swim!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 03:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts
Default The RX can swim!

As fate would have it a monster thunder and lightning storm rolled in right before I left for work today. I have a hike to the parking lot but with no shuttle in sight I decided to go for it. It wasn't bad until I got closer to my RX. There's nothing like walking through water up to the knees. And yes there was a strong current. Fortunately my baby was high but far from dry. Water was shooting out of grates like fountains all over the place. The ride home was crazy too going through water here and there. But we managed to get home safe and sound. TGIFF!
Attached Thumbnails The RX can swim!-fountain.jpg  
Old 06-17-11, 04:02 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

that is such a bizarre sight! Glad you and the RX got home safely.

this is where high mode on our old RX would come in handy
Old 06-17-11, 04:40 PM
smehta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anita,

Glad your RX stayed safe and dry, though got to watch the popped manholes. That could do some real damage.

It could have been worse.

Old 06-17-11, 05:02 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by RXSF
that is such a bizarre sight! Glad you and the RX got home safely.

this is where high mode on our old RX would come in handy
RXSF, it got more bizarre as I got home which is several miles west. The sun was shining and I could see blue sky like nothing happened. The high mode would have been pretty useless since it was more than a foot in spots. One inch is nothing.

Originally Posted by smehta
Anita,

Glad your RX stayed safe and dry, though got to watch the popped manholes. That could do some real damage.

It could have been worse.
smehta, ugly picture! I was fully cognizant of the dangers but I had no choice. It was far worse in the opposite direction leaving work. I could see at least one vehicle, a Cherokee, sitting in the water. Traffic was at a standstill too. It was probably the scariest drive home between the flooding, heavy rain and lightning. I would have gladly taken snow over this any day. Let's just hope I never have to do it again.
Old 06-17-11, 06:30 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Anita, when I first looked at the photo, it looked like humps on the Loch Ness Monster and a whale breaching the surface.

The weight of the electric motors must have kept you from floating away. It doesn't take much moving water to float off a car.

I would either start packing a spear gun for the monster or an inflatable boat for your escape.
Old 06-18-11, 01:51 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

kitlz, good to hear you and RXh got home safely. imagine if you were lowered - i don't think you would have the same story
Old 06-18-11, 02:14 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anita

Why don't you send some of that our way here in AZ. Sometimes I wonder why I have windshield wipers. I end up replacing dry rotted wiper blades that have only been used once. Glad you made it home safe.

MEP
Old 06-18-11, 03:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

The final tally was somewhere around 4 inches of rain Friday. I'd say 3 fell in less than 45 minutes during my drive. I missed the hail near home. The main streets turned into rivers and knocked out power in places. Sometimes I wonder if the world is coming to an end with all this crazy weather.

MEP, you can gladly take the rain. I remember when I visited Saguaro years ago, I came across the funniest sign I ever saw - Dips. The roads rolled in case of flash flooding. I can only imagine how bad it is to get caught in a storm there.
Old 06-18-11, 04:19 PM
kona44
Driver School Candidate

Not to be patronizing, but don't under estimate the monsoons of Arizona, at least in the Phoenix Valley where I live. Rapid surging water crossing a road can sweep almost any vehicle off into a flash-flood arroyo. AZ has a stupid law, which means drivers that don't use good judgement or go around barriers can be required to pay for their rescue. Sad, but true, flash-flooded streets become fodder for the local news.

Since it would be impossible to build culverts throughout the AZ, the roadbeds are dipped at strategic spots so the flash flooding goes over the pavement. You don't want to be at the bottom of a dip during flooding, so just use good judgement which might mean delay or detour your trip.

Happy Anita's home; I enjoy her contributions to CL

Regards, kona44
Old 06-19-11, 08:34 AM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those monsoons and micro busts are no joke! A 25 min drive home has turned into 3 hrs and thats just sitting in traffic 6 miles long waiting for the water to recede. Seen cars washed away a few times.
Old 06-19-11, 02:41 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am glad you made it Anita. Hopefully you do not have any water damage.

I live in Houston, Tx and annual flooding is a way of life. Once we came back from a trip and could not even land on the airport. After waiting somewhere else we finally landed, late for several hours. The parking lot where our car was surrounded by high water. Some people who brave it just got flooded and stranded. We waited until the next morning when the water receded.

Here is a few simple and common sense tips:
If you see water on the road, turn around.
If you must drive through water, make sure (a) keep a steady pressure on the gas pedal, do not stop (b) keep a lot of distance from the car in front of you (c) if the water is getting higher, stop, turn around (d) do not hesitate to leave the car and wait somewhere; forget about being late because you will be late anyway (e) do not drive if there is a forecast of heavy rain (f) avoid streets and intersection that is prone to flooding (g) when you get out of the water, pump the brake to dry your brake pads (h) remember your car will stall if water is high enough as your exhaust (i) if you are in the interstate or highway which is usually high ground, stay there; only exit at your final exit.

Last edited by LeoDLion; 06-19-11 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-19-11, 06:27 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I am a trained volunteer to Skywarn (we report severe weather to your local Nat'l Weather Service office) When that rain broke loose I looked out a window in a southward direction realized what I saw was called a WALL cloud telephoned New York immediately (2 PM) reported it asked if it was rotating I replied NO negative on rotation about ten minutes later I looked again and this storm was now rotating (precursor of a tornado) I called again. I was in Mahwah, NJ at the time on business.

To all:
DO NOT DRIVE IN A FLOOD WATERS NO MATTER WHAT!!! I have seen the BAD results first hand!!!! DO NOT RISK YOUR LIFE OR VEHICLE STOP AND TURN AROUND!!! 1) You will need to climb out your window. 2) Your vehicle is probably totaled. 3) If you hit a flood at speed and survive proceed slowly and look for more. I once saw the results vehicle flipped (Driver kissed roadway literally) the FD/PD standing heads bowed in the highway. I say no more read what you will.
I do not mean to be harsh but I see vehicles all the time in water was there for the flatbed removing one. Water poured out of everywhere.
I hold three hats:
1) Volunteer to Emergency Management
2) Nat'l Weather Service weather spotter (SKYWARN)
http://www.weather.gov/skywarn/
3) CoCoRaHS http://www.cocorahs.org I read a precipitation gauge daily and report the info.
Old 06-19-11, 08:25 PM
shurik
Driver School Candidate

LOL! =D that's crazy!
Old 06-19-11, 08:31 PM
jerryray
Pit Crew

I would definitely go have the dealer check for any water damage underneath.
Old 06-20-11, 12:14 AM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

umm...i seriously almost drowned last time in my bmer....i am exaggerating a bit but for a guy who can't swim, i was driving in about 1/2 ft of water when it seemed like the water washed the road out from under me.....up to the bonnet in water and i was shxting my pants because i didn't know what was under me and what wasn't.

Just dialed the emergency service and they didn't know where the hell i was. Just at that point the rain decided to stop and i was on the phone with the emergency service for 1/2 hour to try and tell them where i was but no good.

At that point the water started to recede and 2 hours later i finally saw that had i gotten out of my car, i would have dropped into the hole that the water carved out under my car.

DO NOT DRIVE IN WATER!!!!

I have an rx300 now, but driving in water still freaks me out.

Quick Reply: The RX can swim!