RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Gas Tank Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-12, 03:28 AM
smehta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much FUEL is really remaining

So on the way home from work, realized I forgot to fill up. But still had 34 miles driving distance on fuel remaining.

Planned to stop along the way to home, where I know gas station is near to HWY. Kept a close eye, in case I need to take an exit sooner. Made it to my planned exit, and by the time I reached the Gas station - RX350 showed "1 Mile" of driving distance left on available fuel.

So how much fuel is really remaining?? Enough for 10 miles? Or really just 1 mile?

I don't want to try running it out of gas, thats not the point. Just want to know how much grace period there is before we're screwed. So as to not push the envelope.
Old 04-21-12, 08:03 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

The car computer driving distance warnings, and the little red light gas gauge warning, are almost always calibrated to understate the fuel remaining. But don't generalize from how other's cars are set. Over the course of the next month or two, fill up the tank when the needle hits various points on the gauge and compare the fuel purchased to the tank capacity. This will give you a good ideal of the offset built into your gauge, which is helpful. I think you will find that there is usually about 2 to 3 gallons in the tank when the gauge reads "E," and half the tank capacity plus 2 gallons when on "half." I seldom pay much attention to the "cruising range" readouts as they can be off by over 50 miles.
Old 04-21-12, 02:08 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never pay attention too but when orange light os on, on the 400h there was approx. 12liters remaining.
On the 450h I did not try yet!
Old 04-21-12, 02:35 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Cars nowadays really don't want you do run out of gas. Even when it says 0 miles I would get there is still at least a gallon. This is my own estimate and not for record. When you hit 1 miles left you should have taken note how much gas you put in to compare with the tank capacity
Old 04-22-12, 12:17 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As others have said, take notice of how much it takes to fill up. Our RX-350 in Australia usually takes 64 liters when all the warnings are on and there is only 1 kilometer left.

From memory, the tank capacity is 72 liters, so there is still some safety built into the settings, best thing is, they are very consistent, so find your regular point to fill up compared to the gauge reading.

Have a nice week end.

Old 04-22-12, 12:46 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Two days ago, I drove my 450h down to 0 miles remaining on cruising range. Then pulled into a station and put 14.8 gallons in my car. Since the car has a tank capacity of 17.2 gallons, I still had up to 2.4 gallons. So I had probably at least another 60 miles of range left. This matches my prior experience where I typically only need 10 or 12 gallons to fill my tank when I typically refuel.

[Note - the 350 is setup differently with a 19.2 gallon tank.]
Old 04-22-12, 01:24 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was heading down to the states for some parcels the other day and my Left to empty range was 24km'swhen I left, and the trip was about a 110 Km;s. Wnen I got over the border into the Excited States to buy back our much lower priced gas it only took aboiut 15 US gallons. I figured if I wanted to I could have driven back home but with the difference in price of almost $1.50 a gallon that would be silly.

Relax and know that you can exceed the DTE that is posted.
Old 04-22-12, 08:41 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Can you get every drop of gas out of the tank or is there a point were you can no longer pump the fuel out of the tank and you might still have a gallon or two left in the tank? I known the the tank capacity is17.2 gallons for the 450h but what is the total amount that can be used by the fuel pump?Do not think that I want to find this out I never let the light come on in the first place. I fill up at 1/4 tank eveytime or before if I find a very good price for fuel.
Old 04-22-12, 09:01 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

Billy makes a good point. Even with a gallon or so in the talk, the pump may not be able to reach it, and you are stranded. Letting a tank get much below the one-fourth mark is just not worth the trouble, and I cannot think of an instance in which it might be necessary or advisable to do so.
Old 04-22-12, 10:19 AM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
Billy makes a good point. Even with a gallon or so in the talk, the pump may not be able to reach it, and you are stranded. Letting a tank get much below the one-fourth mark is just not worth the trouble, and I cannot think of an instance in which it might be necessary or advisable to do so.

Modern vehicles designed so that the computer would shut off the fuel pump before it runs out of gas completely-electric fuel pump these days are being cooled off by the gas they are pumping, so running out of gas completely would cause overheating FP-not a good idea to have heat source in the gas tank. It appears that RX is designed to show "true" mileage/amount of fuel remaining before it would shut off; unlike my old LR2 that showed exactly how much fuel was left in the tank, but it would shut off before running empty (I did not run empty but some one reported running empty when gage showed 1 -2 gallons left...)
Old 04-22-12, 10:37 AM
smehta
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Point taken - try to fill up around 1/4th tank.

I will try to avoid running the tank down to a low level for the sake of convenience. The comments re fuel pump make good sense.
Old 04-22-12, 12:30 PM
Art3
Driver School Candidate

There's also the potential for a good deal of crud to be sloshing around at the bottom of the tank. Those posters that have suggested not letting the tank run down past 1/4 are right on.
Old 04-22-12, 01:56 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

It makes me wonder, if we're worried about what's on the bottom of the tank, where exactly is the feeding tube (the tube where it'll get the gasoline to the engine), is it at the bottom of the tank? If that's the case, it wouldn't make a difference what's on the bottom of the tank, right? Plus, isn't there a filter before the gas is pumped into the engine?

It's not the RX but just an illustration assuming new cars are similar in concept

Last edited by happy1977; 04-22-12 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-23-12, 09:57 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Ever since i bought my car 14 days ago the three times i needed gas i was already at E with the screen showing low fuel. I still drove about 20 miles before I got to the gas station.
Old 04-23-12, 11:42 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I try to fill up sooner rather than later simplye becuase it makes me feel better to "only" put $50 in gas in the tank rather than $75 ;-)

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Capacity