RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Console Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 02:01 PM
arghhh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Console Question

Seems I hate the console on my new RX...
I bash my arm against it constantly. It is dangerous when I reach into it because the opening is behind me not next to me. Finally, where do other women put their handbags when they have a passenger? What is that little hole thing on the bottom in front? It is only big enough for a pack of cigarettes and I don't smoke.
I had to stop the car and get out to get my phone out because it is in the behind my seat.
This is making me so sad. I paid so much and I hate the lack of utility. It would be so much handier it the console wasn't a hump.
Less than 1000 miles, can you return cars because you don't "like" them?
It looks pretty. It feels safe. It is quiet. It doesn't fit me @ 5'2".

PS Really?!?! I can't download my contacts from my Verizon Droid.

Such a big investment to feel disappointed about.
Old 06-23-11, 03:04 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the little hole in the front underneath the shifter is where you are supposed to put your purse. Also it is surprising that you bash your arm on the center console because yu are supposed to be able to rest your elbow and arm on it.
Old 06-23-11, 03:28 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 170 Likes on 144 Posts

I put my pocketbook on the floor in the back, within reach, on the rare occasions I have passengers. I don't have the problem bumping or reaching into the middle console. Maybe it's because my seat is all the way back. The big void underneath is pretty useless. I don't put anything there. Re your phone, maybe you can find a cell phone mount so it's always within reach. I usually keep mine in my pocket or pocketbook. I have the iPhone so I can't help you on downloading contacts. The dealer should be able to. There is also a list somewhere with compatible phones.

Good luck and hope your experience with the RX gets better.
Old 06-23-11, 03:56 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have NAV so the location of the "mouse" is exactly fits my Iphone. I rest my arm on the center console comfy. Hmm I also have the chair way back so they fits me perfectly. For the bottom hole, I find it a bit useful when I store lot of thing i need: tools, napkin box, air freshener....
Hop you will get used to the car and like it more. Welcome to the club.
Old 06-23-11, 04:50 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the first 2010s arrived I looked at the car and said to my service advisor that there's no place for my purse! Since Lexus wasn't going to change it before I needed a new car I'm stuck with it. Driving alone is fine but when I have a passenger I tried putting it in the console and on the floor (don't like to put my bag on the floor) in the back. The hole down below is ridiculous. It now holds a tissue box and my sunglasses which no longer have a holder due to the SOS button placement. A man must have designed the interior.
Old 06-23-11, 05:40 PM
timlrx11
Driver

Originally Posted by arghhh
Seems I hate the console on my new RX...
I bash my arm against it constantly. It is dangerous when I reach into it because the opening is behind me not next to me. Finally, where do other women put their handbags when they have a passenger? What is that little hole thing on the bottom in front? It is only big enough for a pack of cigarettes and I don't smoke.
I had to stop the car and get out to get my phone out because it is in the behind my seat.
This is making me so sad. I paid so much and I hate the lack of utility. It would be so much handier it the console wasn't a hump.
Less than 1000 miles, can you return cars because you don't "like" them?
It looks pretty. It feels safe. It is quiet. It doesn't fit me @ 5'2".

PS Really?!?! I can't download my contacts from my Verizon Droid.

Such a big investment to feel disappointed about.
Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I thought the whole idea of getting a new car is to test drive, spend time with the car and make sure that the car fits your needs before you take it home...
Old 06-23-11, 06:17 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I love everything about the interior, and that little area underneath the middle console, I place my tissue box and phone car charger. The middle console cover on mine seems to hold open. I place my ipod with the ipod tray inside the middle compartment.

And to the OP, if you hated it so much, why did you buy it in the first place. Seems like it was an impluse buy.
Old 06-23-11, 06:49 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear you are disappointed. I haven't had one minute of buyer's remorse with our RX and I usually do with many purchases.

I'm 6'2", my wife is 5'2" and my best friend is 6'11". We all tested all front and rear seats before I bought it. Love the three memory positions!!

The center console is awkward. Only keep infrequently used stuff in there. Sunglasses are in the far left compartment of the glove box.

In the open hole I store a nylon bag of coins and bills, plus a little canvas bag for thrash.

I have a old phone buried in the depths of console for USB music and I place my regular phone in the hole in the door used to pull the door closed.

I would think if you take it back now you would lose a bunch of money, but I may be wrong.

Last edited by DunWkg; 06-23-11 at 06:51 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-23-11, 07:11 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus will take your car back, but you'll take a bath on it $$ wise. There is no return period or cooling off period. Once you sign and take delivery it's yours.

Where did ladies put their purses in other vehicles? I've never had a car that had a place big enough for a woman's purse in the front area, so why is the RX a problem? It seems like your complaints are pretty trite and that you have buyer's remorse. If purse storage was that important my wife would have flagged that immediately, but she's never made a peep about it. If she is driving she is usually alone and that purse would go on the passenger seat, if I'm in the car with her I'm driving so she puts her purse on the floor on her side.
Old 06-23-11, 07:16 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Previous RXs had a space in front of the console. Purses fit nicely. The console could also slide forward and back. This is my 3rd RX and the only one to present the purse problem. Obviously you don't have a purse to store when a passenger sits in the other front seat or you wouldn't make that comment.
Old 06-23-11, 07:20 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
Previous RXs had a space in front of the console. Purses fit nicely. The console could also slide forward and back. This is my 3rd RX and the only one to present the purse problem. Obviously you don't have a purse to store when a passenger sits in the other front seat or you wouldn't make that comment.
OK, that explains that. But what do ladies do when they drive other vehicles (like regular cars), the purse problem can't be a new thing with vehicles. Purses existed long before cars.
Old 06-23-11, 07:49 PM
arghhh
Driver School Candidate

Interesting forum. Random responses...

I was curious about who would reply and if there would be real people especially real women and if anybody had any "Plan B's" for how to deal with the handbag. I have a shot right rotator cuff so reaching behind doesn't work anymore.

My elbow isn't high enough on my body to "rest" on the console. if you are 6'2" magine your console 6-8" higher than it is now!

We also deal with 12" height difference and yes, I appreciate the seat memory.

All cars do seem to be designed by men. Does anybody know what the statistical size of an average woman is? I tested a bunch of cars. Honda Mini had the most "me" friendly interior. It was a mini van so I chose seating comfort and quiet ride and tall seat over daily use ease.

The phone and console are bummers. The car electronics are dinosaurs, they all are. Just let me plug in my cell or ipad, probably in my next car. The industry can't adapt fast enough.

Good idea about not buying nav...I couldn't get a plain jane within my 6 week time frame.

Good response time on the responses.

Tissue? or, Kleenex?

Who would have guessed that certain phones wouldn't work. 2 different sales people avoided the question about the phone with a response like, "it has Blutooth". One guy was honest especially about the dumb navigation and sort of hinted that the electronics wouldn't be ok with me.

I bought the comfy quiet sofa not the storage or the fun new computer. You can't have everything.

Night All.

Thanks for the responses...I'll adjust.
Old 06-23-11, 07:59 PM
arghhh
Driver School Candidate

E-- that arrangement works fine for us also. But tonight, I drove. My bag was in the back because it doesnt fit when 6'2" is in the passenger seat...even on the floor. He needed something that was in my bag.
Handbags will sit on top of flat consoles and in front of some and behind some... bench seats were the most convenient if you remember any of them.
LRB thanks for the thumbs up.
Old 06-23-11, 08:24 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Arghhh,

I don't know if you've had a chance to do a search for droid and RX, but I did a quickie and found this discussion. Someone mentioned a third-party software to assist with contact transfer. Hope that helps, if not, sorry.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ola-droid.html
Old 06-23-11, 09:19 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont understand why the purse no longer fits under the center console like it did before on the previous gen RX?

also to Arghhh, did you try adjusting the seat to a higher position but pulling (or pushing) the entire long rectangle upwards so that you sit higher up?

I dont like the fact that the center console cover/armrest doesnt open all the way and I have to hold it open, it should stay up by itself.
Hey X, my center console lid definitely stays up when I open it...

Quick Reply: Console Question