RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to Improve the Cooling of the Front Seats.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 10:07 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The A/C controls for the car must be set at bi-level so some of the air conditioned air is blown under the seat.

The heating for the seats is built into the seat with a heating element. No need for any changes in the winter.
Old 05-21-13, 01:43 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Had some time today so I got a piece of cardboard and installed it on the vent under the seat like donmatt. It now blows that cold air directly into the fan and you can definitely feel the difference. Now they are A/C seats.
did you the cut the cardboard the same dimensions has donmatt cut the metal?Also do you have a picture?
Old 05-21-13, 10:26 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Just cut the cardboard to size so it slides under the vent. I will try and get a picture for you, it's not pretty but it's not visible.
Old 05-22-13, 01:36 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Just cut the cardboard to size so it slides under the vent. I will try and get a picture for you, it's not pretty but it's not visible.
cool thx that would be great, i am going to try myself this week
Old 05-22-13, 04:03 PM
lanman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just created a temporary card board redirector and wow. Night and day difference.

Now, someone needs to figure out something that is readily available at Home Depot that would be a little more solid. Something out of plastic or metal.

Any ideas?
Old 05-23-13, 04:58 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nightdiff
did you the cut the cardboard the same dimensions has donmatt cut the metal?Also do you have a picture?
I did the cardboard thing and feel nothing still.I put a receipt from grocery store on seat and vent seat/ac floor both on full blast and it doesn't even move receipt.Also on another note ,how do i stop chest high vents on dash from blowing?
Old 05-23-13, 06:26 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

nightdiff, you can close the upper vents by sliding the ***** on the sides down. But you might want to try switching the vents to floor only instead to get maximum seat cooling. That's the default when it's set on auto. I had mine set that way yesterday and could feel the air flowing through the seats.
Old 05-24-13, 06:30 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

OK I told you it wasn't pretty. However, it does work quite well. The tape on the sides does help divert more cold air upwards. I may work on something better looking and more durable.
Attached Thumbnails How to Improve the Cooling of the Front Seats.-lex.jpg   How to Improve the Cooling of the Front Seats.-lex2.jpg  
Old 05-25-13, 02:39 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

OK I told you it wasn't pretty. However, it does work quite well. The tape on the sides does help divert more cold air upwards. I may work on something better looking and more durable.
thanks alot for the pictures
Old 05-25-13, 02:43 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kitlz
nightdiff, you can close the upper vents by sliding the ***** on the sides down. But you might want to try switching the vents to floor only instead to get maximum seat cooling. That's the default when it's set on auto. I had mine set that way yesterday and could feel the air flowing through the seats.
I realize you can close the upper vents by sliding the *****,what i meant is this is the first car i have been in that you can not stop the air flow threw the upper vents with out closing vents.I also did switch it to the floor, still feel nothing.Is it possible my fans in seats not working?How could i tell if they are working?
Old 05-25-13, 06:50 PM
ob450h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for the idea!

I found a couple of shoe boxes and they fit perfectly under the seats.

Two different versions:

Will try them out tomorrow. Too bad the colors don't match.

Last edited by ob450h; 05-26-13 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-26-13, 09:42 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

New and slightly improved. This sign was bought at Lowes for $1.67. It is aluminum so it cuts easy and stays bent. As you can see I clipped the corners to make the side blocks then used foil A/C tape to secure. From the outside it looks great and is more durable than the cardboard. These are not visible from the back seat and you can still get your feet under the seat.
Attached Thumbnails How to Improve the Cooling of the Front Seats.-img_0406.jpg   How to Improve the Cooling of the Front Seats.-img_0407.jpg  
Old 05-26-13, 09:46 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nightdiff
I realize you can close the upper vents by sliding the *****,what i meant is this is the first car i have been in that you can not stop the air flow threw the upper vents with out closing vents.I also did switch it to the floor, still feel nothing.Is it possible my fans in seats not working?How could i tell if they are working?
Turn the ignition on(2 pushes of the start button) without starting the car. You should be able to hear the fan under the seat running if you have it on high.
Old 05-26-13, 05:02 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I might try this mod with temps climbing towards the 90s later in the week. I'm curious to see if it improves the cooling effect. So far it's worked well for me even with a black interior. BTW, the pictures are great. Thanks for posting them.
Old 05-26-13, 07:13 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Turn the ignition on(2 pushes of the start button) without starting the car. You should be able to hear the fan under the seat running if you have it on high.
yes put my head to seat and heard fans underneath seat cushion,thx for tip.Is there also fan in seat back?

Quick Reply: How to Improve the Cooling of the Front Seats.