RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

pickup and acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-11, 02:54 AM
shkr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pickup and acceleration

Pls ignore if my post does not make sense and I am just being too worried about this one.

When I got the new RX 2 months back, i noticed how smooth the acceleration was from 0 - 60 with RPM increasing steadily to max 2.

Now, its summer here, and i see the RPM increase to 3.5 at a speed of 40, then drop to 2 and increase again, while the speed increases from 40 to 60. I mean i feel like a jerk at 40 and then it gets the power again.

I think I feel like more jerks when accelerating than earlier.
Is this all just a normal thing or can I have a dealer do any inspection ?
Old 07-24-11, 07:41 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would have the Dealer look at that. There might be a slight difference in the summer but not like that.
Old 07-24-11, 08:52 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shkr
Pls ignore if my post does not make sense and I am just being too worried about this one.

When I got the new RX 2 months back, i noticed how smooth the acceleration was from 0 - 60 with RPM increasing steadily to max 2.

Now, its summer here, and i see the RPM increase to 3.5 at a speed of 40, then drop to 2 and increase again, while the speed increases from 40 to 60. I mean i feel like a jerk at 40 and then it gets the power again.

I think I feel like more jerks when accelerating than earlier.
Is this all just a normal thing or can I have a dealer do any inspection ?
Guess what? I also plan on mentioning something like this occurring with my 2010 RX on my next scheduled maintenance. I started noticing something similiar to this occuring over the last two or three months also, particularly when taking off from a stoplight. It feels that as if I don't give it a good punch on the accelerator, instead of a gentle push on the accelerator that I'm getting uneven acceleration as I increase my speed. I have been a little concerned about it also, as the car didn't do this in the first seven or eight months of me driving it. July 18 was a year that I've had this car.

I must admit though that when this happens, I'm not looking at the RPM gauge. I'm just feeling a hesitation after taking off from the light.
Old 07-24-11, 10:03 PM
shkr
Driver School Candidate

I have scheduled an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Not that I am expecting a lot from him, but will keep you posted.
Old 07-25-11, 12:16 PM
shkr
Driver School Candidate

The dealer just called to inform that everything is fine with the car. He did tell me in the morning that the car adjusts to the driving patterns and so if there are multiple drivers, you might have a different driving experience.
Old 07-25-11, 01:34 PM
k9shelly1
Driver

I too am experiencing this. 2010 purchased in October. 10,000 miles and I started noticing this about a month ago.
Old 07-25-11, 02:14 PM
jeffmust
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try disconnecting the positive terminal on the battery for 10-15 minutes then reconnecting it - this might reset the various systems into "learning mode."
Old 07-25-11, 02:37 PM
shkr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jeffmust
Try disconnecting the positive terminal on the battery for 10-15 minutes then reconnecting it - this might reset the various systems into "learning mode."
I will definitely try this one out once I pick up my car in the evening. I am assuming the dealer might have done something like that today :P
Old 07-25-11, 10:15 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer just called to inform that everything is fine with the car. He did tell me in the morning that the car adjusts to the driving patterns and so if there are multiple drivers, you might have a different driving experience.
I'm the only driver on my car, so there wouldn't be other drivers to adjust the driving patterns, except occasionally when my brother is in town( 3 or 4 times a year) and he drives it occasionally.
Old 07-26-11, 06:45 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
Thats one of the problem with most cars today, lagging transmission. In an effort to increase fuel economy, trannys now a days try to hold onto a lower gear for too long. As a result, the car feels sluggish until it shifts into the next gear, then it surges a bit because the rpm shoots up higher than it should. Disconnecting the battery will reset the tranny's adaptive program, but thats only a temp. fix. A sport mode would be nice in the RX or one can try to drive their car more aggressively.
x2; and I would also recommend adding fuel system cleaner like that of Techtron or other brand that worked for you in the past.
Old 07-26-11, 10:07 AM
wes77
Driver School Candidate

x3;

I haven't felt it on my rx350, but i have felt similar issues on my BMW.
The BMW also adjust according to driving conditions. I disconnected the battery, and felt an immediate change in acceleration. It was much smoother and responsive.
Old 07-26-11, 04:49 PM
shkr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jeffmust
All manuals say to detach the negative(black) terminal first and then the positive. Do I basically have to remove both the terminals and leave it idle for 10 - 15 min ? This is my first car, and am really bad with the basics :P
Old 07-26-11, 06:34 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

All manuals say to detach the negative(black) terminal first and then the positive. Do I basically have to remove both the terminals and leave it idle for 10 - 15 min ? This is my first car, and am really bad with the basics :P
Since this is a negative ground system car (as most are in North America), I would disconnect the negative terminal. If the cable flops and hits a metal component, it is grounded already. You do not need to disconnect the positive and negative, only one is sufficient.
Old 08-02-11, 11:42 AM
shkr
Driver School Candidate

I did the reset, and I think there might be a slight change in the performance but nothing really significant.

I loved how smoothly my car would go from 0 - 60 in 6-7 sec with a perfect constant acceleration, but now I feel like little hiccups as the rpm switches twice in the interval. Dont know if this is just usual.
Old 08-02-11, 12:02 PM
ecub
Driver

Just curious what kind of fuel are you using, like Regular Unleaded, Premium, etc. I know our cars take Premium, but many have gone to lower grade octane without any issues. I understand, going to lower octane gas, reduces the performance.

Quick Reply: pickup and acceleration