RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New RX350 and Itunes

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 08:16 AM
RVH
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having a problem with precision in language in this thread. Here are two questions.

I finally figured out how to sync itunes from my iphone
What do you mean by "sync itunes" do you mean that you can connect your iphone via Bluetooth or that you are physically transferring the files?

I converted all my ipod music to mp3. These were copied to a "thumb drive" in folders, and the thumb drive was installed in the car.
What do you mean by "installed"? Do you mean that you attached the thumb drive via USB or that you somehow transferred the files?
Old 08-15-11, 05:01 AM
Tstpm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I meant was that just because you sync the phone it does not mean that Itunes was synced. This is a totally separate thing. I am not liking that you can't see the lists of itunes on this Lexus. Yeah, I could use an Ipod with USB but why should I have to do that?
Old 08-15-11, 10:48 AM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RVH
I am having a problem with precision in language in this thread.

What do you mean by "installed"? Do you mean that you attached the thumb drive via USB or that you somehow transferred the files?
On my desktop computer, I created various "folders" in a blank USB thumb drive. Think of this as creating a "playlist". Then music files from itunes were dragged into the appropriate folder. IIRC, I dragged them directly from itunes.

Note that the radio in the RX will not play apple format music directly, so the files on the USB drive need to be in mp3 format. Also note, that if a particular tune is desired in more than one folder/playlist, it must be copied to both folders.

The USB thumbdrive is installed in the RX by plugging it directly into the USB socket down in the bowels of the center console hell. Or, my approach was to use an USB extender cable plugged into the bowels, and the thumb drive plugged into the other end of the cable. This allows the thumbdrive to be lying in the console liner box.

Listen to the USB music by selecting USB with the mode switch on the steering wheel, or via the AUX/usb dash button. The dash "FLDR" buttons select the folder, and rotating the tuning **** selects songs.

I find that operation to be much simpler to operate than using my ipod in the car. The USB stays with the car unless you are updating it. And a 2 or even 4 gig USB drive is pretty cheap.