RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A slight vibration @ 100km/h (TORONTO, ON)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 03:54 PM
aliee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation A slight vibration @ 100km/h (TORONTO, ON)

Hi all ,

I was wondering if any of you guys have experience any vibration issue on the steering wheel, my car just about 3 months old and I did notice the vibration . So i took the car to the dealership for re balancing the wheels. I thought the problem is gone but I still feel the vibration up until now , especially when I cruise around 100-120 km/h on the hwy (HWY404 N which I think the road is pretty smooth).

Today I went to the dealership to have a test drive of the other RX's, and I feel the vibration as well. Is this some kind of issue that the third gen RX's have ? what can I do to get rid this problem other than balancing? perhaps the dealership didn't do it properly?.
Old 08-11-11, 04:04 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Ours is 5000mi and 4 mos old, no such thing has happened like that so far.
Old 08-11-11, 08:49 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aliee
Hi all ,

I was wondering if any of you guys have experience any vibration issue on the steering wheel, my car just about 3 months old and I did notice the vibration . So i took the car to the dealership for re balancing the wheels. I thought the problem is gone but I still feel the vibration up until now , especially when I cruise around 100-120 km/h on the hwy (HWY404 N which I think the road is pretty smooth).

Today I went to the dealership to have a test drive of the other RX's, and I feel the vibration as well. Is this some kind of issue that the third gen RX's have ? what can I do to get rid this problem other than balancing? perhaps the dealership didn't do it properly?.
No, I don't think I feel the vibration on my RX but it is pretty low mileage. With respect to Hwy404N, which portion of the hwy that you feel the vibration?

Reason for asking is I remembered quite recently, I had some sort of vibration between hwy7 and Steeles on Hwy 404 going south on another car which had the tire balancing, wheel alignment and new tires a few months ago.

For the RXs on the dealership, honestly I think it could be due to test drive. Sadly, some people really don't care about potholes especially with thicker tires like RX during test drive.

Last edited by AndyL; 08-11-11 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-12-11, 08:58 AM
aliee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndyL
No, I don't think I feel the vibration on my RX but it is pretty low mileage. With respect to Hwy404N, which portion of the hwy that you feel the vibration?

Reason for asking is I remembered quite recently, I had some sort of vibration between hwy7 and Steeles on Hwy 404 going south on another car which had the tire balancing, wheel alignment and new tires a few months ago.

For the RXs on the dealership, honestly I think it could be due to test drive. Sadly, some people really don't care about potholes especially with thicker tires like RX during test drive.
I feel it almost the entire portion of 404, and also on DVP. I had the previous gen and there is no such a problem at all. I noticed that the new gen has more sensitiveness on the steering wheels.

It might be, It was the certified used car with 10k (2011) . Even the foreman mechanic told me that level of slight vibration is normal and sensitiveness of the steering wheels causing the vibration. What should I do? Do you think another proper balancing will do the job ?

Last edited by aliee; 08-12-11 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-12-11, 09:06 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bigger wheels and lower profile tires and sportier Lexus vehicles every generation will offer more feedback and many times more vibrations. Sounds like something needs balancing in the wheel and also check to make sure the tires have no defects.

Good luck
Old 08-12-11, 09:29 AM
ecub
Driver

My 450h is about a month old and has about 1100 miles on it. I have driven it on a highway a few times and have not felt any vibration at those speeds. Does it only occur on that highway? Maybe you can request a tech to come with you the next time you bring the vehicle in?
Old 08-12-11, 09:45 AM
aliee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ecub
My 450h is about a month old and has about 1100 miles on it. I have driven it on a highway a few times and have not felt any vibration at those speeds. Does it only occur on that highway? Maybe you can request a tech to come with you the next time you bring the vehicle in?

Mine is 1600 KM , and thanks got me thinking to request another foreman mechanics to take a look .

No the slight vibration does not only occur in that particular hwy, almost most of the hwy in GTA I feel it.

Eventually I wasn't really happy with my previous service experience at the dealership (@lexus on the park) since they didn't wash my car (only wiping it) and they claimed that they already washed it.
Old 08-12-11, 05:53 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Aliee,
Vibration just with 1600KM is not normal. Better bring back the car to check the tire balancing again.

Have you bought the car back to dealership for the 1st 1600KM inspection? Maybe it is a good chance to raise the issue.

Also check your PM. A shop that I can recommend.
Old 08-13-11, 03:45 AM
Sixtyplus
Driver School Candidate

Hi AndyL

Let me know dealer's name as well. I've been using dealer in Mississauga and have not been impressed.

Dave
Old 08-13-11, 10:00 AM
aliee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndyL
Aliee,
Vibration just with 1600KM is not normal. Better bring back the car to check the tire balancing again.

Have you bought the car back to dealership for the 1st 1600KM inspection? Maybe it is a good chance to raise the issue.

Also check your PM. A shop that I can recommend.
I Already did raise the issue earlier and did my 1600KM inspection.
I will try the dealership again since the service manager pretty accommodating and promised me the chief of foreman mechanic will diagnose my car next week . Lets see if they can find the issue.
Old 01-20-21, 07:44 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

When they mention balancing, are they doing a conventional balance on the tire/rims or are they doing "road force" balancing? Many times, you might still have a slight vibration which can be solved by the "road force" method which is done with the wheels/tires still mounted on the car. It's a bit more costly but does solve nagging issues. Beyond that, I would look to a possible bent rim.