RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Add Intuitive Parking Assist

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-14, 06:21 PM
d99007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking how to add parking assist feature to my new ES350 2014 in Canada. Traditionally, Canadian dealers would say it is not possible, you must purchase ES350 'technology package' ... At the end, local Toronto Lexus downtown dealer charged me $1300 for the entire work, parts included. This is pretty much the cost of OEM parts alone if i was to order it online and have it shipped to Canada.

Just wanted to let folks know, in case you're trying to do the same.
Old 05-01-14, 09:27 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The parking assist on my 2012 is not that great in the front of the car. They need more sensors.
Old 05-31-15, 09:12 PM
skm11lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear cable

Originally Posted by 164287356
You only need to find out he front sensor wire, they are located on very simply position, you can easily find them just near the fog light, and try to find out been tied wire, the sensors wire is lonely been tied with another big wire, so it is very to be found. The rear wire is easy to connect because the factory sensors wire you bought is include the right rear side marker light and the sensors connect, please try to have a careful look at the websie I provided about the wire disturbute.(rear wire has the one w/sensor, and the one w/o sensor)
Hi, I am planning on doing this project on my 2011 RX350; I have verified where ECU needs to go, and can see the 2 front wires. Please let me know if I need to buy 2 rear wires or just one. The one that I think I need to get is 82183-0E010; would greatly appreciate if anyone who has done this can confirm.

Last edited by skm11lexus; 05-31-15 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-12-15, 02:11 PM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi. Looking to do this mod. Has anyone at all with a USA model actually successfully done this?
Thanks
Old 08-15-15, 05:13 PM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

since it appears no one has attempted this and documented it start to finish, I guess I'll be the first to dive in. The ECU and wiring harness has been ordered (used off of ebay). I have confirmed that I can visually spot the wiring for the front sensors and I've spotted the "fake" plastic placeholder ECU up under the front passenger side underpanel under the glovebox. ECU and harness should be here next week. I see a lot of aftermarket bumper sensors on ebay (China) for a fraction of OEM new cost. I also see used OEM for twice as much as China ebay, but still 1/4 of the cost of brand new. I also have found info where painting sensors with a thin layer of paint will result on minimal degradation to sensor sensitivity. I may go with used OEM and paint.

Stay tuned for those interested in adding OE parking assist option/feature
Old 08-17-15, 06:25 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

I bought a used 2011 Lexus HS250h Premium with Navigation, last fall that had dealer installed aftermarket parking assist. 2 sensors on the front bumper and 4 on the rear. It is not integrated into the vehicle software. I have no instructions and the original selling/installing dealer in NY or Conn. was of no help. There is a tiny green push button on the left side of the dash that lights up when the car is started. If you do not push it to turn the light off then the warning system starts beeping very loudly as you drive. Thus you must push it to turn it off before driving. However, even with the light off, it still beeps when parking and getting too close to something. It is more of a PITA than anything else and I find it minimally useful for parking the HS250h.
Old 08-17-15, 09:18 AM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I bought a used 2011 Lexus HS250h Premium with Navigation, last fall that had dealer installed aftermarket parking assist. 2 sensors on the front bumper and 4 on the rear. It is not integrated into the vehicle software. I have no instructions and the original selling/installing dealer in NY or Conn. was of no help. There is a tiny green push button on the left side of the dash that lights up when the car is started. If you do not push it to turn the light off then the warning system starts beeping very loudly as you drive. Thus you must push it to turn it off before driving. However, even with the light off, it still beeps when parking and getting too close to something. It is more of a PITA than anything else and I find it minimally useful for parking the HS250h.
Thanks. I should have been more clear. My goal is the OEM factory parking assist. However, the factory sensors are very expensive. Ebay has aftermarket versions of the factory sensors for much cheaper.

This is an example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2011-LEXUS-GX460-GX-460-RX350-RX450H-BUMPER-SENSOR-PARKING-89341-48010-4U7-/140873006906?fits=Model%3ARX350&hash=item20ccaf7f3a&vxp=mtr

Im considering using those instead of what Lexus has.

I've already ordered a used wiring harness for the rear sensors, and a used parking assist ECU. I've crawled under my 2011 RX350 and can clearly see the sensor wiring behind the foglights up front, and I believe I see the plug on the drivers side rear (near where the rear side marker light bulb is) where the wiring harness for the rear sensors, plugs into.
Old 08-17-15, 09:41 AM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

Location of what I believe is the factory plug for the rear wiring harness. Note: this is a USA model 2011 RX350 with Navigation

Up inside of the square opening...

My assumption is that the 4 dark pieces of rubber within the plug, are protection for the pins that they cover.

Last edited by lesguy; 08-17-15 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-17-15, 12:12 PM
Clutchless

That may be for a trailer hitch wiring. Do you have the towing package? Look inside driver side front fender, if there are vents on the forward side for the transmission cooler, you have it.
Nice garage floor!
Old 08-17-15, 12:40 PM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

That may be for a trailer hitch wiring. Do you have the towing package? Look inside driver side front fender, if there are vents on the forward side for the transmission cooler, you have it.
Nice garage floor!
Thanks! And yes, you are apparently correct. I do have the vents. (I actually was wondering if that was a tow hitch plug, but since I didnt have a hitch, didnt think I had the option).
Now Im trying to figure out where the harness for the sensors will plug into once it arrives

I definitely have front sensor wires/plugs behind the foglights. I can see them
Old 08-17-15, 01:14 PM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

funny. My ordered parts (used ECU and used wiring harness, both from ebay) just arrived in the mail.

ECU definitely works and the vehicle definitely appears to be prewired. A few pics

Parking Assist wiring plug, connected to the 'fake" ECU. (The beige/light tan colored box at the top of the pic)

Wire unplugged

Wire plugged into the Parking Assist ECU obtained from Ebay

Results (note: no sensors plugged in yet)

Last edited by lesguy; 08-17-15 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-17-15, 01:43 PM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

Did I purchase the incorrect wiring harness for the rear?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131563674891?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 08-17-15, 02:31 PM
Clutchless

How much was the used ECU? I am wondering if it could be made to work with my aftermarket sensors.....
Old 08-17-15, 02:52 PM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

How much was the used ECU? I am wondering if it could be made to work with my aftermarket sensors.....
$65 on ebay
Old 08-18-15, 10:02 AM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

A bit of additional information from a Lexus parts guy who provided me with a wiring diagram sheet of the actual plug where the rear wiring harness for the sensors, connects to. He did state that he is almost positive that the parking sensor wiring harness connects to a plug somewhere on the rear passenger side of the vehicle.

He was not able to determine exactly where the plug/connector lies back there, but in the wiring chart he shows that it will be a connector/plug that has three wires in it: Colors will be white/yellow/red and will match up (once connected) to the Black/Green/Red wires that are in the connector/plug of the parking sensor wiring harness. I went into the hatch area, lifted up the carpet floor and removed the spare tire to look around. Looked pretty thoroughly and could not locate any connector. My only other thought is that perhaps the connector/harness is tucked away somewhere behind the bumper cover and will only be visibile once the actual bumper cover is completely removed from the RX350.

Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone at all ever fully completed this project?

Last edited by lesguy; 08-18-15 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Add Intuitive Parking Assist