RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Add Intuitive Parking Assist

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-15, 11:14 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,155 Likes on 986 Posts

I have a couple of suggestions. First look at this thread on sound proofing the car as it has photos of the rear interior with most of the stuff removed, and instructions. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...this-rx-3.html
It may help you find the harness connector.
Second, it will be much easier to remove the under car cover below the bumper rather than the bumper cover itself and I think may allow you to look up inside the bumper. It just has a bunch of those plastic push things and maybe a few screws holding it up. It has been a while since I removed it to install my hitch, but it was not difficult.
Old 08-19-15, 04:12 PM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I have a couple of suggestions. First look at this thread on sound proofing the car as it has photos of the rear interior with most of the stuff removed, and instructions. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...this-rx-3.html
It may help you find the harness connector.
Second, it will be much easier to remove the under car cover below the bumper rather than the bumper cover itself and I think may allow you to look up inside the bumper. It just has a bunch of those plastic push things and maybe a few screws holding it up. It has been a while since I removed it to install my hitch, but it was not difficult.
Will check out that thread. Thanks. And yes, I already removed that black under panel and saw the attached, but it didn't appear related to any color wires (or plug) needed to connect the sensor harness too.
Old 08-28-15, 03:14 PM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

Some progress but still can't locate where to connect the acquired rear wiring harness for the rear sensor.

Was able to reach up under the front bumper cover and access the front two sensor connectors and connect two of my 6 acquired OEM parking sensors. They are working and are recognized by the parking system as you can see from the screenshots of the dash screen shots

Did a bit of searching in rearmost corner of passenger side of trunk for wiring for rear parking sensor harness but only a few wires route down from inside of cabin to under rear bumper cover area and none of the wire colors match what I'm looking for

Last edited by lesguy; 08-28-15 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-29-15, 11:51 AM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

Adding the wiring diagram provided by parts guy who is certain the elusive connector for the rear harness will be somewhere on passenger rear side. Considering the length of parking sensor harness section that contains the connector is only 12 inches long, the plug it connects to can't be too far from rear bumper cover but where?

Old 08-29-15, 12:31 PM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

Additional links as I continue researching location of the rear connector.

http://lexus.afora.ru/EU/LEXUS%2BRX2...GKW/8417/5874/

Also, appears an additional part is needed..the buzzer, and looks like it connects under the dash on the drivers side somewhere:

89343-72010

http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/t...343-72010.html
Old 08-30-15, 07:14 PM
kbyuan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lesguy,

Just wanted to say thank you for posting all of this and doing all the leg-work. I am planning on doing this, and look forward to your results.

-Brian
Old 08-31-15, 08:56 AM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kbyuan
lesguy,

Just wanted to say thank you for posting all of this and doing all the leg-work. I am planning on doing this, and look forward to your results.

-Brian
Hi Brian:
Glad I can contribute. I think I'm getting closer to a solution, but need a few more days. Bottom line: I'll have this all figured out within the week. I've come too far not to finish! What I have found thus far is that the sensors ( that I received from the chinese seller on ebay) all seem to work perfectly fine. (I swapped each of the 6 in/out of my two front sensor connectors to test). These sensors are ~$20USD each, a fraction of the cost of sourcing them from the Lexus dealership, even with online discounts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281672965140?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I've been reading, and from what I can tell,placing just 1-2 thin layers of touch up paint over the "eye" wont impact performance. So that's my plan..to use touchup to color them to my RX350's body color.

Also, 6 of part number "Electrical-Park Sensor Retainer 8934833100" are needed (in the body color of your RX350) to hold the sensors onto the bumper cover as well as 6 of 89348-33090 that go on the backside of the bumper cover and also serve to hold the sensors in place.
Old 09-01-15, 12:21 AM
kbyuan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Will you be fitting the sensors yourself ? Do you know if there are markers on the back of the bumpers to show where the sensors should be placed?
Old 09-01-15, 04:29 AM
Surovich
Driver School Candidate

Lehman -

I know I started this topic some time ago and I just saw your progress, So I'm in to help - I have my ECU on the way, and some sensors - The Sensors will take longer since they are China - but I have a pretty strong electronics background / IT - I had an interest before for my RX, but now my Wife has a 2013 and what I (you) can find on the 2011 will help. My mod will be to my US RX350 2011 like yours - so I'll have the ECU in the day it arrives and the front sensors once they are in.

Biggest worry for me - I Live in Buffalo, so I'm not sure how much work I can do in the winter and Starting Nov 1 I'll be a hotel for a month as they finish my new house

But I have a few weeks to look - so I think you have the front going, the ECU is recognized, and you're still looking for the rear sensors connectors? If you want to PM or Email until we can find it, let me know - then you can post the findings for the rest of the community.

Thanks for all the work you have accomplished !!!

Scott
Old 09-01-15, 04:45 AM
Surovich
Driver School Candidate

Just an FYI - Ive been a 3d Printing Nut since March I'm going to buy one of the back clips (89348-33090) AND 3D scan it for the rest (or try) .....

I'm having an issue finding the outside (front) part to the sensor - I see the model for the 13-15 model, I assume they are the same for the 2011, its just a hole for the sensor

Last edited by Surovich; 09-01-15 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-01-15, 01:44 PM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Surovich

I'm having an issue finding the outside (front) part to the sensor - I see the model for the 13-15 model, I assume they are the same for the 2011, its just a hole for the sensor
Correct. The same. These come from the Lexus (or Toyota) dealership painted in the various colors of the RX350.
Old 09-01-15, 01:52 PM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

Mystery may be solved regarding the location of the connector for the rear parking sensor wiring harness.
In post #48 of this thread, see the final pic..#8? The 82181-0e010 labeled harness which snakes down into the passenger side backside of the rear bumper and connects to the marker light and then also has a connector that connects to some sort of black thin longish electrical junction box located horizontally dead center behind the rear bumper cover. From all indications, it looks like that harness needs to be REMOVED and replaced with 82181-0E020, which also connects to the rear passenger side marker light and that junction box but it ALSO has the additional wire lead/connector that then connects to 82183-0E010.

So it appears that for this project, TWO wiring harnesses need to be sourced: 82181-0E020 and 82183-0E010. I have ordered this second harness, and should be able to confirm/test my theory by this weekend.
Old 09-01-15, 02:47 PM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kbyuan
Thanks. Will you be fitting the sensors yourself ? Do you know if there are markers on the back of the bumpers to show where the sensors should be placed?
Yes, will be doing all the work myself. I think there are indentations on the backside of the bumper covers that show where to drill. If not I'll stop at local Lexus dealership, find a rx350 with the sensors, and measure.
Old 09-05-15, 05:16 PM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesguy
Yes, will be doing all the work myself. I think there are indentations on the backside of the bumper covers that show where to drill. If not I'll stop at local Lexus dealership, find a rx350 with the sensors, and measure.
Great news. It works. Will post details and pics tomorrow but it all works perfectly. Awaiting my buzzer to arrive for audio. And the retaining clips8934833100 don't seem to be needed. Not sure what they are for.
Old 09-05-15, 07:45 PM
kbyuan
Driver School Candidate

Sweeeeeet!!! Look forward to see the details.

Wouldn't the retaining clips 8934833100 be used to hold the sensor on to the bumpers?

Quick Reply: Add Intuitive Parking Assist