RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Electric Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-15, 04:25 PM
DanRoth911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake controller for 2010 RX450h

I am buying a small travel trailer with electric brakes and I need to install a brake controller in my 2010 RX450h. If anybody has details on how to do it I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-08-17, 10:24 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by natecrna
I got my 2012 RX 350 on Sept 30th. On Oct 1 I was installing a Draw-Tite class III hitch and brake controller.
The dealer wanted $500.00 plus parts to install just the hitch!
I bought the hitch and wiring harnesses for $250.00.
It took me 8hrs to do myself and I know what I'm doing!
The hitch install took all of 45 min. The time consuming part was the wiring for the brake box and trimming the appearance moulding.
I still haven't decided how I want to mount an RV 7 blade wiring harness to the back of the RX 350.
I'm a little vain and don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb.
If anyone is interested in the way I wired a brake controller let me know. It will be and extensive write up and I don't have time to write it out right now.

Happy RVing
I know this is an old post, but I'm hoping someone on here has installed a 7-pin trailer wire harness by now. I have a 2016 RX 450h with the trailer package. All I can find is a 4-pin install. I have a 6X12 enclosed utility trailer with brakes that's way under the 3500 lb towing limit. I need to know how to get the brake wiring done without butchering the wiring. The dealer was ZERO help!

Last edited by gadgetman1; 06-08-17 at 10:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-09-17, 01:18 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixtyplus
Looking at a small travel trailer and it has electric brakes. Anyone have experience installing the controller for the electric brakes on a 2011 RX350. I have the towing package.
I'd suggest you let the trailer shop install one for you. Because of ABS it is not just simple matter of installing one. I started pulling camping trailers when kids were young,
dual axle 18 footer with 1 ton van, graduated with 32 ft. fiver with F250 HD towing special Super cab. There were pendlum type, manual type, tiee into brake hydraulic line
type. I think there are more modern electronic controller nowadays. Better have right one properly installed. Good luck.
Old 06-09-17, 01:23 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I know this is an old post, but I'm hoping someone on here has installed a 7-pin trailer wire harness by now. I have a 2016 RX 450h with the trailer package. All I can find is a 4-pin install. I have a 6X12 enclosed utility trailer with brakes that's way under the 3500 lb towing limit. I need to know how to get the brake wiring done without butchering the wiring. The dealer was ZERO help!
If you have a towing package, no wiring harness came with it? If did there should be a connector Another thing is lights are all LED, something to keep in mind.
Old 06-09-17, 11:48 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
I'd suggest you let the trailer shop install one for you. Because of ABS it is not just simple matter of installing one. I started pulling camping trailers when kids were young,
dual axle 18 footer with 1 ton van, graduated with 32 ft. fiver with F250 HD towing special Super cab. There were pendlum type, manual type, tiee into brake hydraulic line
type. I think there are more modern electronic controller nowadays. Better have right one properly installed. Good luck.
I haven't found a "trailer shop" that has ever wired up a Lexus. The trailer package on the RX is only wired for a 4-pin, I need a 7-pin because my trailer has brakes.
Old 06-10-17, 07:21 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Check this out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traile..._North_America

I dont like the colors they used as text does not show through.

Also remember the American trailer wires combine the turn and brake together .. so tp interface with Lexus, you need a module instead of straight tapping into turn signal [logically Turn OR Brake]. This what a 5 wire module gives you.

For 7 wire, you can take the 5 wire module and add 2 more wires by directly tapping into Brake and Power (Aux -> ACC/RUN). You have to make sure your Aux can handle the current needed by the trailer, and if not, you need to run a dedicated wire + fuse from the battery and add a relay which is activated by the switched power (Accessory/run).

Once the above is understood, you can search to see if the 7 wire module has a built in relay .. would require an additional run to +12v battery and then do the wiring of 5 + 3 more wires [12v, switched 12v, brake].

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-10-17 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-10-17, 07:35 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I haven't found a "trailer shop" that has ever wired up a Lexus. The trailer package on the RX is only wired for a 4-pin, I need a 7-pin because my trailer has brakes.
There ought to a adapter for accommodate 4 pin to 7 pin config. When you draw out the wiring between two on a piece of paper it is easier to see what has to be done.
Tried Google or Youtube search?
Old 05-26-23, 07:00 AM
Nicki
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natecrna
I got my 2012 RX 350 on Sept 30th. On Oct 1 I was installing a Draw-Tite class III hitch and brake controller.
The dealer wanted $500.00 plus parts to install just the hitch!
I bought the hitch and wiring harnesses for $250.00.
It took me 8hrs to do myself and I know what I'm doing!
The hitch install took all of 45 min. The time consuming part was the wiring for the brake box and trimming the appearance moulding.
I still haven't decided how I want to mount an RV 7 blade wiring harness to the back of the RX 350.
I'm a little vain and don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb.
If anyone is interested in the way I wired a brake controller let me know. It will be and extensive write up and I don't have time to write it out right now.

Happy RVing
Good day!
Would you please, provide me with your wiring details? I would be highly appreciate for your advice- dealing with the same problem!
Old 05-26-23, 08:09 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

Nicki - welcoome to CL. Please be advised that Natecrna whose post you refer to and have asked for advice has not posted on this forum in 11 years. I doubt he ever comes to this forum anymore or even owns an RX350 third generation at this time.
Your best bet will be to send natecrna a private message as it may possibly be sent to him as an email. That does not mean he will get it or respond if it is received.

See these older threads https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tallation.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...g-harness.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-wiring.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...w-hitch.htmlIf

If you have the tow package the job will be easiier as it is prewired. What year is your RX and do you know if you have the tow package? This will help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-threads.html

If you don't go here to join Lexus Drivers, then enter your VIN to find the vehicle build sheet which will list your options. It also has the dealer service history. https://www.lexus.com/My-Lexus/account/create-account

The Toyota Highlander is a mechanical twin to the RX350. There is a lot of information about trailer hitch wiring on this link to the ToyotaNation forum. Scroll down a ways to find it.
https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...ations.264043/

You can probably do some google searching or use youtube to learn more about how to wire a brake controller to an RX.
Also etrailer.com has great installation videos is a great source to buy a hitch etc..

Last edited by Clutchless; 05-26-23 at 08:17 AM. Reason: update