RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2011 Nav update

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11 | 03:42 AM
jerryray
Pit Crew

Default 2011 Nav update

Does anyone know how (when available) we update the Navigation data on the 2011 RX450?
Old 09-15-11 | 05:15 AM
BlueSurf
Rookie

Originally Posted by jerryray
Does anyone know how (when available) we update the Navigation data on the 2011 RX450?
I saw it on the menu, I think settings. Once you start the update you cannot stop it. (that's what it says on my screen.) I'm not sure how you pay for it.
Old 09-15-11 | 08:02 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

It say's the same thing on the 2010 and 2011 models. You can't do it, must be done at the dealership with a flash drive.

So... Nothing is free, update is priceless
Originally Posted by BlueSurf
I saw it on the menu, I think settings. Once you start the update you cannot stop it. (that's what it says on my screen.) I'm not sure how you pay for it.
Old 09-15-11 | 08:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cruiter
It say's the same thing on the 2010 and 2011 models. You can't do it, must be done at the dealership with a flash drive.

So... Nothing is free, update is priceless
I keep wondering if (hoping actually) prices for the update will come down. $300 seems steep considering the competition from smart phones, portable units etc. Probably not going to happen any time soon though.
Old 09-15-11 | 12:19 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

You can navigate to a menu on your screen to update the NAV software, but if you select OK, it tells you that you have to have a dealer install it.

The new versions seem to come out every October. Retail price is $300, but my local dealer charged $199 last year as a promotion. If you are thinking about updating, make sure to call around because different dealers have different prices.

I agree that even $199 is a rip off. My iPhone can load maps and driving directions for free and many of the portable GPS units give you free software for life. You're paying for the map on your big NAV screen and integration with the other vehicle features (voice control/traffic/etc.).

In my area, there are lots of businesses closing so I rely on updated maps to find restaurants, etc. on the go. I was upset after paying $199 last October that even the latest software wasn't as up to date as I would like.
Old 09-15-11 | 12:55 PM
BlueSurf
Rookie

Originally Posted by krypttic
You can navigate to a menu on your screen to update the NAV software, but if you select OK, it tells you that you have to have a dealer install it.

The new versions seem to come out every October. Retail price is $300, but my local dealer charged $199 last year as a promotion. If you are thinking about updating, make sure to call around because different dealers have different prices.

I agree that even $199 is a rip off. My iPhone can load maps and driving directions for free and many of the portable GPS units give you free software for life. You're paying for the map on your big NAV screen and integration with the other vehicle features (voice control/traffic/etc.).

In my area, there are lots of businesses closing so I rely on updated maps to find restaurants, etc. on the go. I was upset after paying $199 last October that even the latest software wasn't as up to date as I would like.
My Brother-in-law just picked up a Garmin at Best Buy, it came with lifetime satellite updates. As you use the unit, it automatically updates and you pay nothing. Lexus is ripping Lexus Owners off good!! Before you purchase the Lexus update you can find out what exactly was updated in your state. In Texas the update is useless to me. Why pay for a few roads that I'll never pass?
Old 09-16-11 | 08:12 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

I agree completely with BlueSurf. I think that the factory installed nav system in the RX, or any other car for that matter, is a rip off and then to charge anything lot alone $300 for an update is unconscionable.
Old 09-16-11 | 01:13 PM
gladiator9
Driver

I know that some of the dealers in the Phoenix area were offering the Nav update for less than the posted price of $300.00. I would call around to see if any dealers are offering a lower price for the update! It is really a ripoff as once the computer is hooked up the mechanic can wander off and do other things, so the labour charge should be nowhere $100. I guess it is just the high cost of owning a luxury vehicle. I have a BMW motorcycle and the maintenance costs are through the roof also. BMW stands for "bring my wallet". I don't know what lexus stands for!
Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-16-11 | 01:18 PM
DarylS2001
Rookie

You can get it from Sewell for less than $300 - the last update is at $198 I believe. I agree that it is a rip off. I don't get why you can't do it yourself either especially now that its just a USB drive you plug in. WTF!?
Old 09-16-11 | 03:32 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Take a huge magnet, put it next to your harddrive for a minute or two. This will kill the drive, bring it back to Lexus, get a new drive with new maps under warranty.
Old 09-16-11 | 06:32 PM
gladiator9
Driver

You go first!!!
Let us know what they say!!
Cheers!
Old 09-17-11 | 01:59 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Originally Posted by DarylS2001
You can get it from Sewell for less than $300 - the last update is at $198 I believe. I agree that it is a rip off. I don't get why you can't do it yourself either especially now that its just a USB drive you plug in. WTF!?
Because it's not. All that map data is not on the USB drive. That's just the key.
Old 09-18-11 | 01:00 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Arrow Usb?

The Australian model, built in Japan, must be still using old technology as the GPS data is on a DVD; can be bought from the map vendors

Here is where to find it
Old 09-18-11 | 09:31 PM
jerryray
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TheSnowman
The Australian model, built in Japan, must be still using old technology as the GPS data is on a DVD; can be bought from the map vendors

Here is where to find it
What year is this car?
Old 09-19-11 | 12:20 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Arrow

Originally Posted by jerryray
What year is this car?

It is, officially, top of the line, 2010, RX-350, Sports Luxury Pack, Australian model.

Dealer delivery was April 1, 2010, so I guess it was built late 2009, perhaps early 2010, in JAPAN.

Great country by the way, if you ever get the chance to visit there

Quick Reply: 2011 Nav update