RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Appreciable difference between the 2010 and the 2009: please discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11 | 08:43 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Default Appreciable difference between the 2010 and the 2009: please discuss

I was thinking I'd get the 2010 RX350 but now I am looking at the 2009 and I see two things I like: chrome door handles and a savings of $10,000 or more. So my question is, is there any particular reason why a person buying a used RX would opt for the 2010 over the earlier models? Aside from the wiper blades discreetly hung under the spoiler.
Old 09-29-11 | 12:45 AM
RXSF

well I mean the two are completely different vehicles. A lot changed from 2gen to 3gen so I guess it is up to you which exterior or interior style you prefer. Having owned both, I feel like the 3gen RX has a much more upscale exterior and interior, and all the good things that the 2RX had carries over to the new generation.
Old 09-29-11 | 06:47 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

I think Gen3 is all around a better looking car than Gen2. Subtle changes on the outside, more drastic changes on the inside. Plus all the technical/ mechanical changes that went into Gen3. No question, Gen3 is the way to go. I'm already waiting for Gen4.
Old 09-29-11 | 06:55 AM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Yeah I know it's silly that I get distracted by some chrome door handles but that's the way I always am with cars, it's the little things that I focus on!
Old 09-29-11 | 07:17 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

newer/improved/safer technology is just the starting point. newer year model will always have newer/improved components..many choose used because of financial reasons so you should purchase what you are comfortable paying for a vehicle. I had 05RX and compare to my current 10RX, ride/space utilization/MPG were first thing I noticed. Current RX possibly the quietest/smoothest SUV/CUV.
Old 09-29-11 | 09:38 AM
stunt66
Pit Crew

My wife has an 08 and my sister has a 2011 and the only thing they have in common is the lexus name. I've taken my sisters out for the occasional ride and its definitely a better ride overall(pretty sure the new car smell had a lot to do with it though) The only thing that i probably don't really like about the new ones is the body styling, it's not as sporty looking to me. Are you comparing the same car mileage and option wise when you got the 10k diff because that seems high.
Old 09-29-11 | 09:43 AM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

The problem is the dealers don't always list the options properly on the website or they use a stock photo so you don't know for sure til you go in and check it out. I will be buying this the last week of October. Hope that's a good time.
Old 09-29-11 | 11:56 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

There is a HUGE difference. ONE that a Lexus owner/ Lexus knowledgable joe can spot and point it out to you.
But for a regular person, who haven't owned or don't really care about a Lexus, they might not be able to tell the difference between a 2nd and a 3rd generation RX. ( i can make the same arguement about the X5 just so you know).

i shop cars different from most people.. YES i do set up a price point that i'm willing to pay for BUT i don't let that be the SOLE factor in making the purchase.
when we bought a Honda Pilot ( for my brother) a few years ago, We specifically asked for the last generation because we think the CURRENT looks more like a minivan on Steroids.

in your dilemma, hands down go for the 3rd generation RX ( 2010, 2011, 2012 etc)
Old 10-01-11 | 01:01 PM
dentate
Driver

I feel obliged to comment. I have owned a 2004, 2006, 2008 RX -all traded or sold. Currently, I own both a 2009 and a 2010. I will say to each their own. Some will say the 2010 is way better--I disagree. All were purchased new. The ride on the 2010 provides what Lexus calls "more road feel" or a "bouncy" ride with 19" wheels compared with none of that with the 17" wheels on my 2009 (note they were available with 18" wheels but I opted for 17"--which is what I had had in the past). My 2010 (non-hybrid) is the top of the line here in Canada -called Ultra Premium - mark Levinson, rear DVD, HUD etc--my 2009 is a premium plus navigation. I will say that the Mark Levinson in the 2010 is wonderful and much, much better than the Mark Levinson that I had in my 2008. In fact, I would not order a new one without it--but again thats just my preference. My 2010 has the seat extenders--which provides a totally different seat (verifiable with part numbers) to the non-extended versions (they do look the same but they are not and do feel very different!) and I just don't seam to be able to get comfortable in them compared with my 2009 with just one type of seat standard. While I am on the topic of seats--I will comment on the leather as well--2010 with top of the line comes with semi-aniline leather vs. the standard leather on other models and the 2009--the 2010 with approx 10,000 fewer kms on it than the 2009 --is showing wear creases that the 2009 does not have--so that is of concern to me. The 2010 was built in Japan, the 2009 here in Canada--2010 came with Dunflop (oops Dunlop) tires vs the Michelins from Canada. After 8,000 km I complained to Lexus Canada (delivering dealer would not swap them) and they changed them to Michelins for me--ride is somewhat better but still not as smooth as the 2009. It is true that the 2010 came with push button start -big deal, a concealed wiper on the back- a nice feature, parking sensors (long overdue in my book --my 2003 GM minivan had them for Pete's sakes), black carpet floor mats as opposed to colour-keyed ones --road salt looks worse on black than on anything and shows every piffle, 2010 has a newer navigation disk with more features but the mouse-like device is a pain as opposed to the touch screen--however, visiblity with the tucked back in 2010 screen is much better. the HID headlights are about the same except now they are bi-Xenon, the auto-diming feature for highbeams available in some locations is a nice touch, the cigarette port used for cell phones etc is awkard in the 2010 to get at, the interior door handle lighting as well as the footwell, drink cup lighting, the homelink lighting and illuminated scuff plates(except for top of the line ultra prem or certain packages in the USA) have all been cut in the 2010 but are very nice features to have and can make finding buttons difficult at night, rear seat DVD (which I would never buy as a single guy but is forced on us for 2010 if we opted for the ultra premium--no longer the case with 2 ultra premiums for 2011 and 2012) is now mounted on the back of the seats as opposed to suspended from the roof, spare tire is now a donut as opposed to a full-sized spare in 2009. I find the seats in the 2009 supremely comfortable and squirm in the ones for 2010 after an hour. Enform was introduced to US customers part-way through the 2010 model year and some have complained of losing their sunglass holder but alas, it, like remote start is not available here in Canada. There are some distinct differences between the 2 models and I know I have presented a diffent point of view...but my advice is try both and decide for yourself...everyone is different.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 10-01-11 | 01:32 PM
mac12
Intermediate

In 2010 The RX was built on its own frame. The earlier models shared the ES350(???) frame. It was at that point that I became interested in the 2010. It has --cubic feet more interior room than the earlier 350s.
Old 10-02-11 | 10:17 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

I own a 2009 Rx 350 but have driven the 2010 as a loaner for the day.

I agree with some of Dentate's points, but the bottom line it's up to you.

What I like about the 2010 is the following:

Navigation is way better, hands down. Type ahead and the mouse major points.
Steering wheel. Wood is more solid firm and the buttons are more elegant.
Roomer in the driver's seat, I'm a big dude and there's more leg room in terms of width. The hand brake (I don't know what it's called since you use your foot for it) is not on my ankle.
Door mirror puddle lights, nice touch at night. I wish I could get a mod for the 2nd gen.
Arm rest.
Rear window wiper, although it appears to clean less area for some reason it seem cleaner and that you can see more.
Seemed better on gas.

What I didn't like about 2010:
The car seemed heavier and sluggish. Not sure if it was because it was a loaner and the dealer said it was ok to put in 87 gas. The truck didn't have a strong pickup. I was racing a 6 cylinder Honda Accord on the highway and had problems staying in front of the guy. My 2009 would of blown him out the water and for sure gotten me a ticket.

The buttons were harder to find at night. Although you can adjust the brightness, it seemed over all they kept the cabin lights low or very small.

Lost the sunglasses holder in front of the rear view mirror, which for me is wear I keep my prescription glasses. I can see without them during the day but at dust and at night I need them.

The icon for the door, doesn't let you know which door is open. It just has one icon with open doors. So you had to check all doors. If you have kids or other folks in your car, between the ones that slam and the others that don't apply enough pressure.

The 12 volt power/cigarette lighter is in the center arm rest as oppose to the dashboard. The 2nd gen has 2 in the front and one in the back so the rear seat folks can have their own power. The top of the line 2nd gen had an ac adapter so you can just plug in a cord.

I don't like the dash board, I love the 2009 cockpit styling, but the 2010 dash kinda look like an old Star Wars movie dash board. IMHO the gauges look more like the first gen with the added eco button. I didn't have the model with the heads up display or didn't know how to activate it.

I like both vehicles. When comparing the two you can see Lexus really put some thought into it and seem to build upon and improve on the 2nd gen model. It's not just a fluff like Window's XP to Windows Vista. They really put some thought behind and in my opinion it's a worth while upgrade.

I would say if you had a chance, drive both. Although with all the improvements with the 2010, I still like my 2nd gen 2009. Over all it seems like the 2nd gen you interact with the vehicle, touch screen navigation etc but the 3rd gen seems like you sit back and let the vehicle do the work for you.

Last edited by 1koolfella; 10-02-11 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-02-11 | 10:43 PM
happy1977
Instructor

^As for the door notice, it does indicate which door is open. As for acceleration, ours zooms pretty fast.
Old 10-03-11 | 08:36 AM
mac12
Intermediate

My 2010 also indicates which door is not closed.
Old 10-03-11 | 06:22 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

@ 1 koolfella lexus racing with a Honda? You're kidding right? And in NYC..race to where? The next stop light?
Just kidding.. You probably live up north.
Anyway, I just have to comment on the door icon, I have a 2011 and it shows which door is open.
As for the dash design, I say it's a matter of choice.
My brother has a Pebble beach edition 2nd gen RX 350 and I don't like the arm rest as well as is dash. I feel like I'm inside a Toyota Sienna ( previous gen).
Old 10-03-11 | 07:45 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Dentate and 1Koolfella made excellent comparisons between the 2nd gen and 3rd gen RX's that I agree with on almost all points. I have to admit that even though I really, really like my 2010 RX (The chrome wheels do look sharp on the car!) I absolutely loved my 2nd gen RX. The '07 RX was a lighter car than the 2010, thus, to me, the '07 feels quicker. My '07 RX was just a premium model, but it came standard with the rain-sensing wipers, the illuminated scuff plates for the doors, much easier access to the power plugs, a sunglass holder, and, yes, I did prefer the styling of the dash on the '07 over the styling of the 2010 dash.

I am definitely not getting the gas mileage on the 2010 that I was getting on the '07. The cruising range on the '07 went farther than the '10 does. Now, my sister-in-law is driving the '07 now, and she does like the increase in size on the 2010 RX. My nephew says he can tell the difference in the back seat, that it feels roomier than in the '07.

My 2010 RX has the premium package and the comfort package with no nav. So I did end up getting a few things extra that I didn't have on my '07 RX such as the Xenon adaptive forward lighting and I got back my rain-sensing wipers by getting the comfort package, plus heated seats which I didn't have in the '07 RX.
Also, I feel that at idle the '07 RX is substantially more quiet than the 2010.

Truth be told, I would strongly consider purchasing a used 2nd gen RX if I could get it with the nav so that I could keep the xenons and the bluetooth, once my lease is up on the 2010. Although I must say, the used
2nd gen RX's from 2007 thru 2009 are still quite pricey!!

Quick Reply: Appreciable difference between the 2010 and the 2009: please discuss