RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Premium for 2010-2011 RX350? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 08:55 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
To ease our dependence on foreign oil and to replace MTBE which is bad stuff for the environment, the gasoline industry started putting ethanol in gasoline. I don't think this is a mandaatory requirement yet since some gasoline station are selling gasoline without ethanol. But a majority is and there is no distinction between grades.

There are countries like Brazil that gives the option to pump pure ethanol. Some of the cars over there are specifically design to run on it. Corn is still cheaper than gasoline but becoming expensive. I dont mind running on higher than 10% ethanol just to decrease our dependency on foreign crude oil.
The use of corn to produce fuel is a failed process. It has pushed grain prices out of sight. If things continue you will see a BIG difference at your grocery store. I speak of a business with which I am closely associated.
Old 12-15-09, 11:56 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
The use of corn to produce fuel is a failed process. It has pushed grain prices out of sight. If things continue you will see a BIG difference at your grocery store. I speak of a business with which I am closely associated.
E85 ethanol which is use in gasoline blend sell for $2.91 per gallon in August. So yes it looks like E85 is a bit more expensive. But at the current price of gasoline. Remember gasoline has gone way up to ...$4 a gallon or so several years ago. Production of ethanol for gasoline will be again attractive once crude oil creeps up. Who knows.

It must be cheaper to produce ethanol in other countries? When labor, material and supply is cheaper I bet it is.
Old 12-15-09, 12:51 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

To ease our dependence on foreign oil and to replace MTBE which is bad stuff for the environment, the gasoline industry started putting ethanol in gasoline. I don't think this is a mandaatory requirement yet since some gasoline station are selling gasoline without ethanol. But a majority is and there is no distinction between grades.
I stand corrected. the federal Energy Policy Act expire in 2006 along with the federal ethanol requirements.
Old 12-15-09, 03:01 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

E85 ethanol which is use in gasoline blend sell for $2.91 per gallon in August. So yes it looks like E85 is a bit more expensive. But at the current price of gasoline. Remember gasoline has gone way up to ...$4 a gallon or so several years ago. Production of ethanol for gasoline will be again attractive once crude oil creeps up. Who knows.

It must be cheaper to produce ethanol in other countries? When labor, material and supply is cheaper I bet it is.
You are thinking in terms of cost of gasoline only. The effect this has on the cost of grain is going to send your grocery prices soaring. The cost of grain has already meant bankruptcy for a lot of companies who produce our meats. Production cost are rising and computation is growing smaller; this equals a bad sign for the consumer. Ethanol is not the answer for us. I still think the answer will be found in electric cars as technology improves.
Old 12-16-09, 06:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Ethanol from grain more of a introduction of what’s to come. Scientist are already working on other ways to product ethanol.
Old 02-22-10, 07:38 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Kind of Gas?

I just read somewhere that Premium 89 octane gas is required for the 2010 RX 350. Is this true??? I did a lot of research before making my purchase and I don't remember ever coming across this until now.

At one time I was considering the Audi Q5 and I quickly changed my mind as soon as I found out it required Premium gas so now this is quite a shocker to me.

I haven't filled up yet and want to make sure I do the right thing regardless if it's going to cost me extra for gas.
Old 02-22-10, 08:13 AM
Alexis-LS
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-regular.html
Premium is what Lexus recommend on 350. People tend to say they do not notice the different between using different gas. But many seems not to understand how car engine, knock sensor, timing, ignition work anyway.
Old 02-22-10, 08:15 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's what is recommended. I believe you can use a lower grade but you may get pinging and lower mpg. My whole life I have bought nothing but premium, never had trouble with any vehicle. Depends on how long you think you will have the RX.
I was looking at the Q5 as well. It did not have as much cargo space, which I use a lot, and the reliability factor was key. Closest dealer was 25 miles away.
Old 02-22-10, 09:45 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

When my wife fills the RX she only puts regular in because the dealer told her that won't harm the RX but she would get less performance. I always put in premium and tend to like to use Shell or Texaco.
Old 02-22-10, 10:29 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Does the type of gas you use only affect the car's performance while using that tankful or does it damage the engine in the long run?
Old 02-22-10, 10:38 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChitChat
I just read somewhere that Premium 89 octane gas is required for the 2010 RX 350. Is this true??? I did a lot of research before making my purchase and I don't remember ever coming across this until now.

In page 606 of the Owner's Manual, they recommend premium unleaded gasoline with minimum octane of 91.
Old 02-22-10, 10:43 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ChitChat
Does the type of gas you use only affect the car's performance while using that tankful or does it damage the engine in the long run?
The manual actually 'suggests' 91 octane. My service tech said recently the factory rep said 89 in our case is plenty good and will not cause adverse affects. It seems in many parts of the country the grades very in octane ratings. Here in the SE, they are '87', '89', and '93' which is a higher premium than recommended. Other areas seem to have '91' as the highest octane.

I can't find the sight right now, I'll look again when I have time but in a 'brand' rating nationally in the U.S., Racetrack was #1 and Shell was #2. I use Shell for my 5% off the bill. At today's prices that's significant.
Old 02-22-10, 10:46 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
The manual actually 'suggests' 91 octane. My service tech said recently the factory rep said 89 in our case is plenty good and will not cause adverse affects. It seems in many parts of the country the grades very in octane ratings. Here in the SE, they are '87', '89', and '93' which is a higher premium than recommended. Other areas seem to have '91' as the highest octane.

I can't find the sight right now, I'll look again when I have time but in a 'brand' rating nationally in the U.S., Racetrack was #1 and Shell was #2. I use Shell for my 5% off the bill. At today's prices that's significant.
I can believe that. The 89 octane is probably ok to use,but I wouldnt use 87.
Old 02-22-10, 06:10 PM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexus114
I can believe that. The 89 octane is probably ok to use,but I wouldnt use 87.
Ours is 89 octane by my house.
Old 02-22-10, 09:09 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some States use ethanol in their fuel. So the octane rating would be different as well.

Quick Reply: Premium for 2010-2011 RX350? (merged threads)