RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Took the RX to the dealer for a wash

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 02:10 PM
foxwiz
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Took the RX to the dealer for a wash

Since the dealer gives free car washes, I took the car in this morning to get it washed. We have a Black 2011 RX350 about a month old. I noticed that there are no streaks on the paint.

What do they dry it with? My other car is a Black Infiniti G37 convertible and there are lots of streaks on the paint. I usually wash the vert myself becuase of it's size. I dry it with a microfiber drying towel. What am I missing?
Old 09-30-11, 02:42 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

are you sure there are no streaks on it? Most dealer car washes are machine where they may hand wash it in the beginning but put it through a rinse and dry machine. Chances are they machine will blow as much of the water off but then a guy then dries it off. I usually skip the car wash and would not trust my black cars in their hands
Old 09-30-11, 09:27 PM
shkr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. I used to take my obsidian black for the free dealer car wash too.. They have a tunnel wash and at the end, the car is dried with hot air blower and then two people use towels to further dry it off. After about 4-5 car washes, I started noticing the swirl marks so now have stopped going.

I am now trying to get used to the two bucket car wash method. But in the chilly and rainy weather here in Seattle, its difficult to do this on your own. :P
Old 10-01-11, 01:38 PM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shkr
Yeah. I used to take my obsidian black for the free dealer car wash too.. They have a tunnel wash and at the end, the car is dried with hot air blower and then two people use towels to further dry it off. After about 4-5 car washes, I started noticing the swirl marks so now have stopped going.

I am now trying to get used to the two bucket car wash method. But in the chilly and rainy weather here in Seattle, its difficult to do this on your own. :P
I purchased a microfiber mop like thing with an extendable pole from WalMart that I use pretty much year long. The only time I get my hands wet is when I wash the wheels.
Old 10-01-11, 02:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

The dealer probably air dries most of it like RXSF said. I don't let the dealer wash mine though. A few months ago I was checking out their obsidian RX350 and ES350 loaner cars and could see the swirls. I'd sooner let my RX go dirty than take it to any car wash.

You might want to spend an extra minute rinsing the Infiniti, air dry it with a leaf blower and then do a final wipe with a quality waffle weave microfiber towel and maybe a QD.
Old 10-01-11, 02:30 PM
stw2046
Driver

I always ask for hand or no wash. They can still swirl your paint pretty good if their towels are dirty. Chances are less. When you wash it by yourself "properly" (at least use a 2 bucket system: 1 for soap and the other for rinse with grit guards) chances are even less.
Old 10-01-11, 02:33 PM
RXSF

Logically, swirls come from wiping the car in a circular motion. Its almost nature for us to do that. We wipe in circulation motions when we wipe the table, or almost any other surface. I go in long horizontal lines from the front of the car to the back.
Old 10-01-11, 02:45 PM
bigdenis
Driver School Candidate

Daniel-san must have been doing it wrong all along.
Old 10-01-11, 06:00 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdenis
Daniel-san must have been doing it wrong all along.
Wax on wax off. That's how I do it!
Old 10-02-11, 05:01 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by The X Men
One of the few reasons why I dont buy black cars.
heh, Black is one hell of a paint job to keep looking good. But god damn when its all cleaned up and waxed. Its the best looking color.
Old 10-02-11, 05:07 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RXSF
Logically, swirls come from wiping the car in a circular motion. Its almost nature for us to do that. We wipe in circulation motions when we wipe the table, or almost any other surface. I go in long horizontal lines from the front of the car to the back.
This is false, you can still get swirl marks from wiping your car in any direction.

Swirls aka tiny scratches occur when any type or size of dirt or dust on the car is rubbed against the paint with no lubrication.

That being said every time you wash your car, even touch your car you are either making it better or worse. With Proper technique you can severely reduce the likely hood of swirling up your paint.

For a Daily Driver expect swirls, even with good technique its just too much and you will get some especially Toyota which have soft paint.
Old 10-02-11, 05:11 PM
RXSF

if you are wiping horizontally, how can circular swirls show up? serious question. This seems to work great for me, i have three black cars

I have no proof or anything but I feel its logical
Old 10-02-11, 05:54 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

I guess I know who doesn't wash their RX

Last edited by kitlz; 10-02-11 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-02-11, 07:06 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The word swirl is a pretty generic term, as there are many kinds of swirls. Simple stated, "Swirl marks are scratches in the finish". The nature of the light source may determine if they look circular in appearance, but there are linear swirls. I find them most often near straight pieces of glass and someone followed the profile of the glass with a towel/rag and the nearby painted surface will have a scratch/swirl that follows that profile.
Old 10-03-11, 06:36 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting discussion for sure. I've washed my white RX450 twice now and no indication of scratching so far. I use the 2 bucket method and de-ionized water for rinse. I also use my air compressor to do a good deal of the drying with a microfiber towel to finish the job. My previous car was a dark blue GS and it looked as good the day I traded it in as it did the day I bought it.

Quick Reply: Took the RX to the dealer for a wash