RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Non-CPO: Taking a Risk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 08:14 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Non-CPO: Taking a Risk?

I'm checking out a 2010 RX 350 with 15,000 miles, premium but no navigation listed at a dealer for $38,000. Lexus website says its CPO, but the dealer site says it's not. The Carfax report is clean, no accidents. It was given the CPO designation at another dealership and now seems to have lost it at this dealership.

My question is why is this car with such low mileage not CPO-eligible? The photos look great. I'm wondering if non-CPO designation is a red flag?

Anyone who has bought a used RX with no CPO have any regrets? I'm not so much worried about lack of warranty as much as that there is something wrong with the car that I cannot discern.
Old 10-05-11, 10:02 AM
jamiec
Driver

I just traded in my 2004 RX with 64k miles and it was not a CPO. It was in excellent condition (I was the only driver and passenger) no accidents, great paint, great interior, etc. It lasted on the lot for 4 days before someone snatched it up! If the new owners were looking for a CPO they would have missed out on the beauty I traded in.

I would say go with your gut and do your homework on the vehicle. See if you can get a warranty.
Old 10-05-11, 11:56 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Certified Pre-Owned and USED are synonymous in our house.
and remember that Carfax doesn't always catch everything that happened in the car.
especially those that were not reported and repaired at your neighborhood dent removal/ quick paint jobs kind of body shops.

At the end of the day, i completely agree with jamiec..
Inspect and drive the RX yourself. Only you can give the interior/exterior/drive a PASS/FAIL depending on your standards.

without a NAV, i consider that 2010 pricey.
Old 10-05-11, 12:17 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

wont the vehicle still have the factory warranty on it though? 4 yrs, 50K miles? CPO or not, if it still has this warranty, I am sure it is a safe buy. Also ask them if the car was a service loaner vehicle. that would be a huge pitfall
Old 10-05-11, 12:24 PM
k9shelly1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how does a car get the CPO? By the sounds of it, the dealer pays a fee to Lexus for the title. If that is so then that is a definate conflict of interest and does discredit the CPO title.

Another thing, CarFax is a rip off that makes claims of protecting the buyer but doesn't mention one major point. CarFax always falls back on the "it wasn't reported to CarFax" excuse. Dealers use this to their advantage as well. If a car was obviously involved in an accident but there is nothing on the CarFax report then they are cleared as well.

If it sounds fishy then move on and buy something that you are and will be satisfied with.
Old 10-05-11, 10:29 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have heard if it was not properly serviced at the required intervals that it would not qualify for CPO.
Old 10-06-11, 04:42 AM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

On my current vehicle (Dodge Caliber), I have complied with recommended service (oil change every 3000 miles, tire rotation every 6, etc.). Am I to assume that the places I took my vehicle for service reported this to Carfax? I suppose that will make a difference when I try to trade it in?
Old 10-06-11, 11:43 AM
jamiec
Driver

I believe Carfax is a ripoff as well. While my car was in to have three recalls addressed they only listed the seat belt repair for my car. It was also not listed as a recall, but, a repair. They also "suggested" I have some other minor repairs made that didn't show on the Carfax report.
Old 10-06-11, 11:43 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

I'll sell you mine for that price and 17k on the odo.

Test drive the car first then do a throughout checkout to make your decision. No need for CPO since it is still has at least 2 years of manuf warranty. If everything checked out fine I would buy that car for no more than 35K.

Good luck
Old 10-06-11, 01:30 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BatmobileX
On my current vehicle (Dodge Caliber), I have complied with recommended service (oil change every 3000 miles, tire rotation every 6, etc.). Am I to assume that the places I took my vehicle for service reported this to Carfax? I suppose that will make a difference when I try to trade it in?
You need to get yourself an RX right away.
There's no reason for you to suffer any longer.

And this is coming from a guy who had a Durango for a about a year.
The interior still gives me nightmares.
Old 10-06-11, 04:04 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by markrivers
You need to get yourself an RX right away.
There's no reason for you to suffer any longer.

And this is coming from a guy who had a Durango for a about a year.
The interior still gives me nightmares.
LOL 20-40 mph in the Caliber is a black hole of sluggishness. However in the 3 1/2 years I've owned it, the only thing I've had to do aside from regular maintenance is get a new battery.

And I'm still rockin' the original tires with 50,000 miles on them!