RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

remote starter suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 12:01 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default remote starter suggestions

I have (on order) a 2012 Rx450H and I am looking to put a remote start in it as it gets cold here in the winter.

What brands and models have people installed and what do you like and dislike about them and what was the cost.

I have a couple of months until I take delivery so now is the perfect time to negotiate a good price from the shops here.
Old 10-06-11, 02:58 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The factory remote start is "distance limited". If your car is parked in your driveway and you stand at your front door and can see your car, the factory remote start will work. A block away, forget it.

If you are looking at cellular technology remote starts there are many on the market. I'm familiar with the Viper Smart Start. I had one installed and eventually removed. The installer did a horrendous job and Viper was going through growing pains and their cell connection failed repeatedly.

Drone Mobile is one I'm looking at currently. Finding the right installer is the challenge.

Keep in mind there is a monthly fee for the service, usually free the first year. Plus the GPS services are also an additional $$ premium.

Another product I've seen is the OnStar factory installed. Works great, just like the TV commercial.

Check out the Facebook pages of any product you are considering and look for negative comments.

Traditional remote starts work 1000 feet or so away and provide some feedback, but require an additional fob. Another reason the cell remote starts are nice, no additional fob. Although an additional fob is provided you don't need it, just your phone.
Old 10-06-11, 06:17 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^ I have compustar installed, not on the RX350 but on the toyota Camry.
And it's been there for > 4 years. I have only replaced the batteries on the remote.
Unlike the viper, it doesn't have subscription. It's a one time payment ONLY.

I suggest you go 3rd party or aftermarket if you want to save some dough.
Old 10-06-11, 06:26 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

There is no way I would go with the factory one. the dealer even said that it was brutal and they wont install them.

It is information on the aftermarket ones that I was interested in. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-06-11, 07:28 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Drone Mobile Premium Plan is described as $9.99/mo paid annually and Viper must have 5 or 6 plans of various levels for 1 to 3 years. Viper is even integrating home security. Not sure Compustar is doing that, yet.

The other point to make is Lexus shuts down when you open the door after remote starting. Mark is that true of your Camry? On many other cars if you get in and don't touch the brake and push the start button the car keeps running. Not sure if a third party can override that shut down function of the Lexus.
Old 10-07-11, 01:44 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Onstar was once great but service now is horrible and not to mention they sell your information of where you go and visit. so forget that

compustar with drone is good but warranty valid only when install by a Compustar/drone installer and shop
otherwise any work cannot be warranty -my choice

Viper was the first that came out with smartphone remote start but not a fan and lots of negative feedback from friends are other owners.
Old 10-08-11, 11:29 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg

The other point to make is Lexus shuts down when you open the door after remote starting. Mark is that true of your Camry? On many other cars if you get in and don't touch the brake and push the start button the car keeps running. Not sure if a third party can override that shut down function of the Lexus.
Car keeps running, programmable to 10-20 minutes. If there is no action after that, engine shuts down.
Old 10-11-11, 03:49 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

The reason the Lexus (and any other pushbutton start cars) is that otherwise if car was unlocked and running someone could get in and drive away as there is no key to be inserted. Once you get in you push the start button again. Makes sense when you think of it though.
Old 10-11-11, 05:37 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

After two winters, I've come to the conclusion that remote start, Lexus or otherwise, is pretty useless on the 450h. The engine switches between gas and electric too much to properly warm up the engine. It's good for defrosting the windshield and heating the seats when it's turned on. That's about it. I'll still use it on mine so I can at least get a start. It's better than nothing.
Old 10-11-11, 06:17 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Yes that is true however at -25 it is nice to have some warmth in the seats and the start of the heating system.
The 450h must have a warmup cycle when it is first started when its really cold or does it have some electrical system that warms the interior air?

I have never been in one in the winter so unsure about the ins and outs.
Old 10-11-11, 06:25 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Well, I have the Lexus remote start so you know the limitations there. Ten minutes doesn't make much of a dent. It can be remote started again for another 10 minutes but not a third time.
Old 10-11-11, 09:19 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by InRBigness
The reason the Lexus (and any other pushbutton start cars) is that otherwise if car was unlocked and running someone could get in and drive away as there is no key to be inserted. Once you get in you push the start button again. Makes sense when you think of it though.
The remote starts locks the doors first, before starting the engine. If don't have the fob and you break in to steal the car: 1) you trigger the alarm, 2) the engine stops, 3) you can't restart it, you don't have the fob. (Now if you climb in the broken window, you maybe able to steal the car. I've not tested that. Although I'm guessing touching the brake to put it in gear, without the fob, would kill the engine, if remote started.)

If you have the fob: 1) you own the car, 2) you stole the fob, you can steal the car anyway.

The Lexus stops as soon as you open the door even if you have the fob. Other manufacturers allow you to get in the car, if you have the fob, and keep the car running. So no additional restarting, if you have the fob.

Although restarting a 450 is no big deal, it does it dozens of times a day anyway.

Last edited by DunWkg; 10-11-11 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-11-11, 09:34 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by kitlz
After two winters, I've come to the conclusion that remote start, Lexus or otherwise, is pretty useless on the 450h. The engine switches between gas and electric too much to properly warm up the engine. It's good for defrosting the windshield and heating the seats when it's turned on. That's about it. I'll still use it on mine so I can at least get a start. It's better than nothing.
Somewhere in the manual, I think it says climate control can be tied to the different fobs and/or the settings prior to being shut off. So I make sure before I get out and I know I'm going to remote start it I set the controls to cook the interior, turn on the electric seats and most importantly in a 450h, turn off ECO mode. ECO mode will modulate climate control when you are trying to cook. So ten minutes or twenty minutes may not seem like much, but after walking 5 blocks in subzero temperatures, as you have said, "It's better than nothing".

Old 10-12-11, 03:41 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I don't get the same bitter weather as you, David, but I'm female so being cold is par for the course Cook setting is what I miss most. The techs told me it's important to get the engine warmed up for heat. It's not really possible during my short city commute, stop and go traffic and lights. Remote start at least gets the windshield clear. And to add to your advice, turn off the rain sensing wipers during winter.
Old 10-12-11, 05:16 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitlz
And to add to your advice, turn off the rain sensing wipers during winter.
Okay, I will bite... Why turn off the rainsensing wipers?

Quick Reply: remote starter suggestions