RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Factory remote start help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-11, 02:52 PM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Factory remote start help please

My sister has a 2011 RX 350 with the factory remote start and when she starts her car with it the car will shut off once she opens the door. Doesn't matter if its been on for 1 minute or 10, it will never stay on and always shut off once she opens the door. Is there anyway of setting the car to stay on?
Old 10-14-11, 03:03 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Nope, that's the way it's designed.
Old 10-14-11, 07:51 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

That's retarded. Definitely NOT adding OEM remote start to my car.
Old 10-14-11, 07:56 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Not really, imagine this: you remote start the car on your driveway as you are having your morning cereal and then someone just jumps into your car and drives off............
Old 10-14-11, 08:00 PM
marcarl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't steal the car. The engine starts, but the doors stay locked. The problem with Lexus is when you unlock the door, then it shuts off. And you have to be within spitting distance to start it in the first place.
Old 10-14-11, 08:42 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Other manufacturers do not do this. This is how they do it: you send the remote start signal to the car, but first the doors lock, parking lights flash and then the car starts. If you have the key fob and you open the door, the car keeps running, but you have 10 seconds to get into the seat and push the start button twice, without touching the brake pedal. This is if you have the key fob. If you don't have the key fob, opening the door may 1) trigger the alarm, 2) shut off the engine. If say you don't have the key fob and you break out the window and climb through the broken window and you step on the brake to put the car in gear to steal it, the engine shuts down.

If you have the key fob, the engine keeps running.

A much nicer system than the Lexus way of killing the engine when you open the door.
(I haven't checked my spitting distance, but that sounds about right)
Old 10-15-11, 04:17 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Lexus remote start has worked fine for me. It does what it's supposed to do. I don't need an extra fob. I can start it from a distance. Sure it could be better but I'm not keen on starting my RX when it's out of sight anyway. And what's the difference if it shuts off when the door handle is touched requiring restart versus another system where it'll stay on while getting into the car but requires pressing the start button twice like David mentions? That's basically like restarting it minus depressing the brake pedal.

Overall I'm glad I have it.
Old 10-15-11, 04:21 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
That's retarded. Definitely NOT adding OEM remote start to my car.
I have been looking into the aftermarket ones and was informed by all the sellers that they all will turn off the car as soon as the door is opened. It is not just a Lexus thing either as they said all push button start cars this will happen to.
Old 10-15-11, 11:24 AM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the help. My sis absolutely hates it for some reason, i guess she's just used to having it stay on like her old car.
Old 10-15-11, 12:46 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by kitlz

And what's the difference if it shuts off when the door handle is touched requiring restart versus another system where it'll stay on while getting into the car but requires pressing the start button twice like David mentions? That's basically like restarting it minus depressing the brake pedal.

Overall I'm glad I have it.
The difference is the engine does NOT shut down. Pushing the start button twice just "fools" the computer into believing it's time to rock and roll without an engine shutdown. Not so much a big deal on a hybrid, but just another start avoided on a non-hybrid.

I'm glad I have mine too. I just wish when I open the front door to unlock the back door to throw my snow covered winter coat into the back seat the engine did NOT shut down. The point of remote starting is to....wait for it....start the engine.
Old 10-15-11, 01:16 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by InRBigness
I have been looking into the aftermarket ones and was informed by all the sellers that they all will turn off the car as soon as the door is opened. It is not just a Lexus thing either as they said all push button start cars this will happen to.
Not true. Our second car, or first depending which family member to speak to, is a push button start Nissan and it does not shut down the engine when you open the door. So there maybe several variables in play here, manufacturer of car, manufacturer of remote start, or installer of remote start.

Here are the instructions for Jeep. Seems to indicate with their "Enter-N-Go" fob you can push the start button.

REMOTE START

Press the REMOTE START button twice within five seconds. Pressing the REMOTE START button a third time shuts the engine off.
To drive the vehicle, with a valid Keyless Enter-N-Go Key Fob within 5 ft (1.5m) of the driver's side of the vehicle, grab the front driver door handle to unlock the driver's door automatically, then press the Start/Stop switch. Or press the UNLOCK button, insert the Key Fob in the ignition and turn to the ON/RUN position.
With remote start, the engine will only run for 15 minutes (timeout) unless the ignition is placed in the ON/RUN position.
The vehicle must be started with the Key Fob after two consecutive timeouts.
I've seen the Jeep in action. While sitting in a parking lot I saw a couple remote start their Jeep. He was using crutches. They got to the car, she helped him get in the passengers' side and then she walked around to the drivers' side and the car kept running.