RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Built Quality Difference Between Japan and Canada

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-17, 04:42 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Get on with the time guys. In 60s and 70's made in Japan was equivalent to what was made in China 5-7 years ago. Even today a good swath of population prefers made in Europe over made in Japan. Korea is rapidly moving towards the front. I guess every one is entitled to their bias.

Seriously if any one wants to know about the drive tp precision, a good study subject is watch design* in Germany/Switzerland and Japan. European design leapt ahead by deciding 12:00 midnight as end of the day while Japanese kept working on sunset as end of the day. Latitude and seasons.

What is American, Canadian, Japanese these days? This question equally applies on People and 'made-in".

Salim
* Watch design was cottage industry and required precision and skill.
Old 11-24-17, 07:44 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Would buy Made In Japan if there is a choice. But will not hesitate to buy a Toyota-Lexus made outside Japan.

I work in the Automotive Industry, I know that we keep on trying here in the US.

I have worked for the Japanese and now work for the German-Netherlands. Same xxxx different day. They are all **** in making sure that the process is stable and repeatable.
Old 11-26-17, 04:46 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

So is that why my OLD VERY SKILLFUL Rolex Swiss Made CAN NOT KEEP AS AN ACCURATE TIME AS MY WAY CHEAPER CITIZEN WATCH WITH WAVE SATELLITE TECHNOLOGY? The Rolex is very precise but at the same time very complex. IS that why my Rolex is locked up at some safe whereas my Citizen is my EVERY DAY WATCH? Also since my Citizen is pure Titanium it dies not set off any alarms at the airport? I have not tried it with my Rolex.....too lazy to get it out of the safe.

My point is a "Full Japanese made vehicle" is still preferred by a lot of people out there.

If you look back at Infinity "Q" series big flagship SUV, then you will see that some years ago it was made along side the Nissan Titan pick up trucks in MS. For whatever reason, production quality control continued to be a big problem in the state of MS for the Q series SUV for many years despite great efforts. The head boss man from Japan eventually cut off production of the Q series SUV in MS/USA AND MOVED IT TO JAPAN in order to compete and get QC up to "Japanese" standards.

YES, Kia/Hyundai are getting better. But not there yet.

Originally Posted by salimshah
Get on with the time guys. In 60s and 70's made in Japan was equivalent to what was made in China 5-7 years ago. Even today a good swath of population prefers made in Europe over made in Japan. Korea is rapidly moving towards the front. I guess every one is entitled to their bias.

Seriously if any one wants to know about the drive tp precision, a good study subject is watch design* in Germany/Switzerland and Japan. European design leapt ahead by deciding 12:00 midnight as end of the day while Japanese kept working on sunset as end of the day. Latitude and seasons.

What is American, Canadian, Japanese these days? This question equally applies on People and 'made-in".

Salim
* Watch design was cottage industry and required precision and skill.
Old 11-26-17, 09:25 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by lexusrus
edit snip

My point is a "Full Japanese made vehicle" is still preferred by a lot of people out there.

edit snip some more
What can I say about peoples perception?

A larger portion of enthusiasts have a low onion of vehicles designed and made in Japan. A small segment thinks SUV designed and made in USA for a well known German manufacturer are superior to any Japanese offering.

I kept on saying that the millennium rolls over on 2001, but every one that I know celebrated 2000

Salim
Old 01-24-18, 07:18 AM
ira057
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife has a 2013 Rx350. It has 100,000 miles on it. I just got it out of the shop a week ago for a blown head gasket. While I'm writing this I'm waiting for Lexus dealer to call me back. It's leaking antifreeze again. I have a 2001 Lexus Ls430 with 225,000 miles on it and doesn't leak anything. We sold my wife's 2004 Rx300 made in Japan and never had any issues. Sold it with 136,000 miles on it. I have owned a total of 10 Lexus vehicles. The 9 that were made in Japan were problem free. This 2013 Rx350 is the first we have owned that was made in Canada. I don't know if this is a coincidence or not but I will never buy another made in Canada if I can help it.

Last edited by ira057; 01-24-18 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Entered wrong year of vehicle
The following users liked this post:
Robb79 (03-08-21)
Old 01-24-18, 09:53 AM
salimshah

I thought the engine comes pre-assembled from Japan.

Salim
Old 01-24-18, 01:18 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I thought the engine comes pre-assembled from Japan.

Salim
Lexus engines are built in the US and have been supplying the Cambridge RX assembly for many years.
Robb79 (03-08-21)
Old 01-11-21, 10:07 AM
Negative11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts choice? Japan or Us

Hello, im a newbie to the lexus world. I have a 2007 Rx350 that says built in Canada. I am looking at replacing the windshield cowl and some exterior trim pieces. The only options for parts are Us built or Japan built?? Any ideas on which i should order for a Canadian built vehicle?

Thank you, Mike
Old 01-11-21, 10:48 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

So how do I find out where my 2010 RXh is made? If VIn number begins with J is it made in Japan?
Old 01-11-21, 12:08 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 411 Likes on 328 Posts

Yes. J means built in Japan. 2 means built in Canada.
NickSP (01-11-21)
Old 01-11-21, 01:43 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Negative11
Hello, im a newbie to the lexus world. I have a 2007 Rx350 that says built in Canada. I am looking at replacing the windshield cowl and some exterior trim pieces. The only options for parts are Us built or Japan built?? Any ideas on which i should order for a Canadian built vehicle?

Thank you, Mike
They should be identical. Differences are in options .. so a vin number at the parts department can ensure you get the right part.

Salim
Old 01-24-21, 10:34 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by TLeih
We have a 2008 RX 350 built in Canada. There is a difference between a Canadian build and a Japan build in the front brake rotors. The hub diameter differs by .01". This difference will roughly double the cost of after market rotors. The larger diameter should fit all, but do you really want to do this? There may be small differences in other parts. The cost of the rotors at the dealer is about the same. As far as build quality goes, we have lost an AC compressor and the sun roof makes annoying sqeeks and chirps (sometimes) depending on the temperature.
Have a look at the gen3 front caliper differences.....The Canadian caliper's are so much better looking then the Japanese calipers...Yea you wouldn't see them unless you remove the wheels thou.....Either or, color & option selection is what i'd be looking at.....''Lexus the relentless pursuit'' by Chester Dawson tells how it is in his book.....Yea its older book dated 2004, but a good read...
Old 02-26-22, 04:24 PM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust these folks to safely build your family vehicle?
Put your kids in it? Trust a car driving around your children they build? Only in America!
https://jalopnik.com/auto-workers-dr...-lunch-5645880

Quick Reply: Built Quality Difference Between Japan and Canada