RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Built Quality Difference Between Japan and Canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 08:27 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built Quality Difference Between Japan and Canada

Can anyone comment on any built quality differences between RXs assembled in Japan and RXs assembled in Canada? Are the quality controls exactly the same between Japan and Canada?
Old 10-20-11, 10:02 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The canadian plant in Cambridge was recently awarded the JD Power award for highest initial quality. The plant in Kyushu and the Honda plant in Indiana shared the top spot.

Assembly Plant Awards
Three assembly plants receive Platinum Plant Quality Awards (in a three-way tie) for producing models yielding the fewest defects and malfunctions: the Toyota Motor Corporation Cambridge South, Ontario, Canada, plant (which produces the Lexus RX); the Toyota Motor Corporation Kyushu 2, Japan, plant (which produces the Lexus ES, IS and RX); and the Honda Motor Company plant in Greensburg, Ind. (which produces the Civic). These plants average just 24 PP100. Plant awards are based solely on average levels of defects and malfunctions and exclude design-related problems. (JDPower)

Based on this I would say that the Canadian plant is putting out an excellent product. The Japanese plant basicly builds Hybrids and European cars. I would think that Lexus would strive for consistant standards worldwide. You never hear "My X-Car that was built in Lexington Kentucky is a lemon", its just "My X-Car sucks"
Old 10-20-11, 11:04 AM
jamiec
Driver

Probably a "dumb" question, but, how can you tell where your car was built or assembled?
Old 10-20-11, 12:01 PM
djkidkris
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you open your door on the inside edge there should be a sticker with all that information including where it was manufactured.
Old 10-20-11, 12:35 PM
ccds
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the serial number starts with a 2....it's built in Canada

if its starts with a J its built in Japan

The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-10-20)
Old 10-20-11, 01:18 PM
jamiec
Driver

Thanks so much, after work I will be checking to see where my car was "born"!
Old 10-20-11, 01:21 PM
jamiec
Driver

Okay, the suspense was killing me.......my baby was born in Canada so I guess we were in good hands! lol
Old 10-20-11, 02:06 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Its my understanding that almost all the North American 350's are from Cambridge and all the Hybrids in the line up are made in Japan. This makes sense as they consolidate all Hybrid production in one place as well they supply their biggest market with Canadian made Rx's and save a ton on shipping.
Old 10-20-11, 03:30 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RX's coming from Japan will have a high water mark somewhere up around the bottom of the window glass from the recent Sunami. They should be almost completely dried out by now.
All kidding aside, I think the quality control in both plants is very good and whether your RX is built in Canada or Japan you can expect very high quality. There have been small issues with some RX models however Toyota seems to have looked after them under warranty.
Ours was built in Canada for the US market but now lives in Canada.
cheers,
Jim
Old 10-20-11, 03:57 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The X Men
All things being the same, I would take a Japanese build car over a Canadian one any day of the week.
The only vehicle the Cambridge plant builds is the RX 350 so I would think that that would be the place to get one as that is all they do, every day, day in and day out. That leads to higher quality as they have figured out the problems and solved them.

Mine is coming from Japan but it would not bother me if it was Canadian.
Old 10-20-11, 04:44 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

RX350's with some specific options, Heads Up Display comes to mind, ONLY come from Japan so if you want/have these special, upgraded, options your RX350 will come from Japan.

I don't think it makes that much difference in practical terms but if two identical RX350's were coming off the trailer at your Lexus dealer and the only difference was one was made in Canada and the other in Japan, which would you pick if the dealer turned to you and said, 'which one do you want?' I think almost all of us would pick the one made in the home country, 'just because'.

Last edited by Evitzee; 10-20-11 at 04:48 PM.
Seabone726 (04-10-20)
Old 10-20-11, 06:29 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your RX350 whether it's from Canada or Japan will be the most respectful SUV on the road.
The only difference is, those built in Japan gets you FREE sushi every Friday night.
Serious answer though, I don't think it matters where, since Quality control should be the same regardless where it's manufactured.
Old 10-20-11, 06:38 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I also would only want my Lexus from Japan.

I think the Japanese culture has a lot to do with it. Not to say Canadians or Western people dont work hard, but there is something about the Japanese people in general in that they convey a sense of pride and workmanship. Its not just cars either because when I grew up (and I still do this), I look for the Japanese made rice cooker, or anything Japanese. You spend a bit more for piece of mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by RXSF:
Robb79 (03-08-21), Seabone726 (04-10-20)
Old 10-20-11, 07:38 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I also would only want my Lexus from Japan.

I think the Japanese culture has a lot to do with it. Not to say Canadians or Western people dont work hard, but there is something about the Japanese people in general in that they convey a sense of pride and workmanship. Its not just cars either because when I grew up (and I still do this), I look for the Japanese made rice cooker, or anything Japanese. You spend a bit more for piece of mind.
i couldn't agree more
The following 2 users liked this post by Stormforge:
Robb79 (03-08-21), Seabone726 (04-10-20)
Old 10-21-11, 09:21 AM
jamiec
Driver

Having spent some time in Japan, their approach to their work and the quality of their work is amazing. For them it's not just a job it's personal and they want to produce the best product they can. If only their work ethic could be found more often in the US.......
Robb79 (03-08-21)

Quick Reply: Built Quality Difference Between Japan and Canada