RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Maintenance/Oil Change at Toyota???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 01:29 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BatmobileX
10,000 miles/??? Noooo, you need to get an oil change every 3000 miles and tires rotated every 6000 miles. This is pretty standard for all vehicles.
Gotta love it when people confidently post the wrong information...
Old 10-24-11, 05:22 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

^Ditto......
Old 10-25-11, 04:41 AM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry folks, I was misinformed, now let it go. If you are able.
Old 10-25-11, 05:18 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

He's got it now. But for most folk coming to this car from cars built in the past it's a paradeim shift to understand 0w20w synthetic and only every 10,000 miles. But the engines and oil and filters are designed for it. It took me a while to embrace the change with confidence.

Now I'm trying to understand why the engineers want the brake fluid changed at the 30k interval. But they know more than me so next month when I get my 30k, it will get changed.
Originally Posted by krypttic
Gotta love it when people confidently post the wrong information...

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-25-11 at 05:21 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-25-11, 09:52 AM
sir1900
Driver School Candidate

To the OP, you should consult your owner's manual for the most accurate information.

I am not sure if there is a schedule for "severe" or "normal" driving conditions for vehicles purchased in the United States.

Here in Canada, oil change is required every 5000 miles. Tire rotations every 10,000.

At the very least, follow what is in your manual and you will be fine. Make sure to keep all receipts in case you have a warranty issue.

Do not rely on a sticker at the top left corner of the windshield.
Old 10-25-11, 12:19 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe in Canada the oil change interval is the same as in the USA. At least that was what I was told by the service department here for the 450H.
Old 10-25-11, 08:38 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter

Now I'm trying to understand why the engineers want the brake fluid changed at the 30k interval. But they know more than me so next month when I get my 30k, it will get changed.
Moisture kills brake lines and components, and degrades the fluid. After 30k miles or about two yrs, most manufacturers recommend changing brake fluid to get rid of any moisture in the system that will corrode the components and decrease brake fluid effectiveness (brake fluid with too much absorbed moisture "foams" under duress, which renders it useless). Unlike synthetic oil change intervals, this brake fluid recommendation doesn't appear to have changed for many years (Chrysler, GM, Toyota, Nissan all had this as a recommendation I think as far back as the late 70's when I first started driving and working on cars). Even if you only went 5k miles, if two years has gone by, it seems they still recommend changing the fluid.

Last edited by afpj; 10-25-11 at 08:58 PM. Reason: foaming at mouth
Old 10-27-11, 11:02 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prior to the 2011 RX we had a 2001. After a bad experience with Lexus maintenance and realizing that I was being severely overcharged for regular maintenance, I began taking the 2001 to Toyota. For example, when we had the 2001, Lexus wanted $60 to change the oil and that was back in 2002. That is 5 quarts or oil and a filter. We also had a top of the line Cadillac with a V-8 that required 7 quarts of oil and filter. Cadillac charged around $30 at that time to perform the work. Both dealers are owned by the same people and are directly across the street for each other. I loved the 2001 RX but always felt I was being gouged for service. When I questioned my service rep about their pricing his response was, "Well sir, you are driving a Lexus." From that point on it was off to Toyota and that is where the 2011 will go for regular maintenance as well and we have never had a problem.
Old 10-27-11, 11:44 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cafpaf
Prior to the 2011 RX we had a 2001. After a bad experience with Lexus maintenance and realizing that I was being severely overcharged for regular maintenance, I began taking the 2001 to Toyota. For example, when we had the 2001, Lexus wanted $60 to change the oil and that was back in 2002. That is 5 quarts or oil and a filter. We also had a top of the line Cadillac with a V-8 that required 7 quarts of oil and filter. Cadillac charged around $30 at that time to perform the work. Both dealers are owned by the same people and are directly across the street for each other. I loved the 2001 RX but always felt I was being gouged for service. When I questioned my service rep about their pricing his response was, "Well sir, you are driving a Lexus." From that point on it was off to Toyota and that is where the 2011 will go for regular maintenance as well and we have never had a problem.
The same analogy can sometimes be said about the different pricing for Acura vs. Honda service departments. I took my Acura MDX into the Honda dealer for new brakes, etc.
Old 10-28-11, 10:27 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Default Please check the interval

Originally Posted by InRBigness
I believe in Canada the oil change interval is the same as in the USA. At least that was what I was told by the service department here for the 450H.
Maybe you bought the car in the US and it came with a US owner's manual but both the Canadian owner's manual and the Lexus Canada website, which you log into using your car's VIN, state that 2010-2012 RX350/450s need their oil changed at 8,000KM intervals. The US recommendation that our American Lexus owners are talking about here in 10,000 miles or 16,000KM. I have heard of people having warranty claims rejected because they don't follow the owners manual. Lexus keeps track of all service done on our Canadian vehicles even if it is done at a Toyota dealer. You can also check this out on the Lexus Canada website after setting up an account in the upper right hand corner of the home page where it says "login". This is a very useful website and IMHO all Canadian Lexus owners should use it to get accurate information about our cars.
Does the US Lexus website not have similar features, maintainance records and recommended service intervals?
Old 10-28-11, 01:09 PM
gladiator9
Driver

I recently took our 10 RX ro a local Toyota dealer for an oil change and when I booked I inquired if they had the 0 W 20 synthetic oil. They said yes and there would be no problem. So off we went to the Toyota dealer for our scheduled appt. I reminded the service advisor again about the special oil required. The lady wrote it on theservice order, however when we came back to pick up the vehicle, the gal saId that they had to drain out the wrong oil that the mechanic used. That took another half hour for them to correct their mistake. Cost me about $80.00.
I'll have the next service done in Arizona!
Cheers, Jim
Old 10-28-11, 02:23 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I usually get a good deal at my Lexus dealer but ......
I just called the local Toyota dealer and told him what was in the 30k Lexus required manual including the 30k brake fluid change. He quoted $218 + tax. I'll pay a little more if I get it at Lexus but if it's more than $50 bucks more, I don't need a loaner, I'll just wait at the Toyota store
Old 10-28-11, 03:30 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Toyota store is ok for ongoing maintenance items like oil/filter, but I'll still go to Lexus for anything more complicated. These cars have so much electronic stuff you can't expect the Toyota dealer to have the knowledge to fix everything that goes wrong with the vehicle.

I've said this on numerous occasions but there is no real need for a Lexus owner to ever pay for maintenance. Simply get a Lexus Visa card and use it, it gives you a 1.5% credit on all purchases (5% credit when used at Lexus dealer). And when I bought the RX last year I put $10,000 of the purchase price on the card (the most they would allow) which immediately netted me a $500 credit for Lexus dealer use. That will pay for a lot of oil changes and 'stuff'. I've never paid a dime for maintenance for my '06 and '10 Lexus'. And you can use whatever credits you have to help towards the purchase price when you get a new Lexus. It's a no brainer, and the credit lines are very generous..
Old 10-28-11, 03:49 PM
sir1900
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cafpaf
"Well sir, you are driving a Lexus."
At least he was honest

There are varying opinions on where to take our Lexus vehicles to get it serviced. If some of you feel better taking it to the dealer, go for it.

Any reliable mechanic can do the service work for you if you choose not to take it to the dealer. I for one won't be taking it to the dealer on a regular basis. For one, if I am in for an oil change at a certain time, then I expect the vehicle to go in at that time. Too often you book an appointment and you will be hanging around the waiting area for 30 minutes to an hour before the car is even driven into the service bay. The only way your vehicle will be serviced at the scheduled time is if you are booked first thing in the morning. Any other time, all bets are off you will get in on time.

Secondly, I cannot justify spending upwards of $30 extra for an oil change alone at the dealer. I bring my own oil and filter to my mechanic, and he charges me $15 for the labour.

It is not that I cannot afford the extra $30 at the dealer, but it's the principle. I don't believe in paying extra just because I own a Lexus.

Unfortunately for most dealerships in Canada, Lexus and Toyota are in the same building.
Old 10-28-11, 06:41 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sir1900
At least he was honest

There are varying opinions on where to take our Lexus vehicles to get it serviced. If some of you feel better taking it to the dealer, go for it.

Any reliable mechanic can do the service work for you if you choose not to take it to the dealer. I for one won't be taking it to the dealer on a regular basis. For one, if I am in for an oil change at a certain time, then I expect the vehicle to go in at that time. Too often you book an appointment and you will be hanging around the waiting area for 30 minutes to an hour before the car is even driven into the service bay. The only way your vehicle will be serviced at the scheduled time is if you are booked first thing in the morning. Any other time, all bets are off you will get in on time.

Secondly, I cannot justify spending upwards of $30 extra for an oil change alone at the dealer. I bring my own oil and filter to my mechanic, and he charges me $15 for the labour.

It is not that I cannot afford the extra $30 at the dealer, but it's the principle. I don't believe in paying extra just because I own a Lexus.

Unfortunately for most dealerships in Canada, Lexus and Toyota are in the same building.
If you have a mechanic friend I'll do the same way as you. Hmmmm My oil change is free at 10K so not sure about at 20K miles. But when i still in love with the car, def stop by Lexus dealer. Maybe at 60K+ miles, i'll visit Toyota dealer

Quick Reply: Maintenance/Oil Change at Toyota???