RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX350 AWD Tires--Terrible

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-11, 08:40 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This discussion string is really pointless and is not helpful to anyone because the frequency of road hazard (ie, nails or any other foreign objects) tire damage has nothing to do with the brand and quality of the tires. Why would anyone believe a certain brand of tire attracts more road hazard then others??? The culprit is the nail on the road coupled with the driver's discretion on which road he or she will use or avoid, which has nothing to do with what brand or type of tires are being used.
Old 10-26-11, 08:25 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
Ahhhh, you must have gotten the special oem tires with the magnetic steel belt
This.

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
This discussion string is really pointless and is not helpful to anyone because the frequency of road hazard (ie, nails or any other foreign objects) tire damage has nothing to do with the brand and quality of the tires. Why would anyone believe a certain brand of tire attracts more road hazard then others??? The culprit is the nail on the road coupled with the driver's discretion on which road he or she will use or avoid, which has nothing to do with what brand or type of tires are being used.
And also this.
Old 10-27-11, 06:48 AM
brwilli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
What caused the flat? Nails, screws, or construction debris are the usual culprits. The right rear, the right front are the usual urban driving flats, since most trash gets pushed to the curb. Mostly, it's a matter of luck. If you live near a construction area, those big roofing nails are a particular danger; while streets and roads frequented by trash haulers and construction crews can be a minefield for your tires.

Contractors don't run magnets over the jobsite any more when they have finished work, and a lot of stuff gets left behind out of carelessness. After several flats in a period of months some years ago, I rented a big magnet on wheels (sorta like a wide hand truck) for a few bucks, and pulled it up and down my driveway, around the house after getting a new roof installed. I picked up over three dozen nails and a dozen big sheet-metal screws that could have resulted in a flat or worse, a serious injury if picked up by the lawnmower.
I'm a contractor, and I always run magnets over the job location when finished doing outside work. I don't want nails in the tires on my trucks, and I know the homeowners don't want any either. Some contractors never have and never will, others always do. I used the magnet yesterday at my own house after we tore off and replaced the roof. I must have picked up dozens of nails by hand first, then got about 3 dozen from in the bushes. We're always careful, but nails do fly when you are removing shingles from a roof. Please recognize that there are many careful contractors out there--don't lump everyone in with the worst ones
Old 10-28-11, 06:55 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand of tires is the original poster talking about? Bridgestone, Michelins or Dunlops?
I have the 18" Michelins on my 2011 RX and haven't had a problem yet after 18,000km in Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick as well as some driving on I95 and US 1 in Maine. I guess it just depends where you drive, we tend to get chipped/cracked windshields here in Ontario if we drive on Hwy 401 a lot.
Old 10-31-11, 06:24 PM
py0413
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

consider yourself lucky already because your dealer was willing to replace your first one for free. here, if you don't buy that extended tire warranty crap, once you are off the dealer's lot, you are on your own.