RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX350 AWD Tires--Terrible

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-11, 05:14 PM
NeilB25
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 RX350 AWD Tires--Terrible

Am I the only one that have had 3 flats in 16 months on this vehicle. All three tires had to be replaced. The first one happened within a week of getting the car so lexus replaced it free of charge....Are the tires that bad. I do not go off roading. Basic Highway and Suburb Driving. Seems like the tires pick up things in the road very easily.
Old 10-23-11, 06:19 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

You're the 1st person I've heard of with flats happening in such a frequency as yours. I'm thinking you're driving where you're picking up things from the road. That is not indicative of the tire but where you're driving it. Have you been going in and out of new construction areas? Lots of nails and spikes in such areas.
Originally Posted by NeilB25
Am I the only one that have had 3 flats in 16 months on this vehicle. All three tires had to be replaced. The first one happened within a week of getting the car so lexus replaced it free of charge....Are the tires that bad. I do not go off roading. Basic Highway and Suburb Driving. Seems like the tires pick up things in the road very easily.

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-23-11 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-23-11, 06:51 PM
NeilB25
Rookie

Nope. Regular driving. Last week coming home from Dinner with the kids on the highway, we hit some metal disc and had to get roadside assistance to change the tire. The second one was a huge nail after coming back from NJ. The 1st one was the result of "get this" a safety pin.... u pulled it out and a week later, I noticed the tire light kept coming on.....
Old 10-23-11, 07:32 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

That is just bad luck and not an indication of the tire quality. You stated you hit a metal disk and picked up a large nail so you probably would have had issues no matter what tires you had on. My envoy used to pick up nails like crazy, so I got pissed and put on 6ply 50psi Bridgestones on and never had an issue. The ride was a lot stiffer but it was a truck so I did not care.
Old 10-23-11, 09:05 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 108 Likes on 80 Posts

I had a similar problem a few years ago. I quit taking a short-cut behind Wal-Mart, where they unload trucks and pallets and I've not had a problem since. Also, don't drive where they are building new houses/buildings.

Last edited by RGSW; 10-23-11 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-24-11, 06:00 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I've only had one flat and one nail driving around New Jersey. I'd chalk it up to bad luck.
Old 10-24-11, 08:09 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Are you my "Virtual" sibling?

I am about to post about this case. I have 3 flat tires in 19 months. First one at about 10k and tire needs to be replaced ($281) and the last 2 times they just fix the flat. We had a hail storm last year so many roofs have been replace so who know what are on the streets.

If I have another flat I might have to replace the vehicle - sign of the times, you say?
Old 10-24-11, 08:31 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What caused the flat? Nails, screws, or construction debris are the usual culprits. The right rear, the right front are the usual urban driving flats, since most trash gets pushed to the curb. Mostly, it's a matter of luck. If you live near a construction area, those big roofing nails are a particular danger; while streets and roads frequented by trash haulers and construction crews can be a minefield for your tires.

Contractors don't run magnets over the jobsite any more when they have finished work, and a lot of stuff gets left behind out of carelessness. After several flats in a period of months some years ago, I rented a big magnet on wheels (sorta like a wide hand truck) for a few bucks, and pulled it up and down my driveway, around the house after getting a new roof installed. I picked up over three dozen nails and a dozen big sheet-metal screws that could have resulted in a flat or worse, a serious injury if picked up by the lawnmower.
Old 10-24-11, 09:11 AM
huanhb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're just unlucky. When we first moved in this new house I had 2 flats in a row then I complained to the builder and they actually cleaned up the mess everyday, that helped.
I don't think tire quality has any thing related to the flats.
Old 10-24-11, 11:07 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I suggest you buy some sort of tire insurance or road hazard coverage.
Old 10-24-11, 01:26 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too, have had two flats in the last 10 months due to nails in a rear passenger tire. Both flats were unrepairable--one was in the sidewall and one had two nails less than an inch apart.

I'm beginning to think these tires are cursed!
Old 10-25-11, 07:06 PM
NeilB25
Rookie

Call it bad luck but it's $280 a tire and I'm just doing regular driving. These tires are prone to picking up things. I had an BMW X3 prior to this car and an Acura TSX and never once had a flat.
Old 10-25-11, 07:18 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

It's bad luck. No tire is "prone" to being driven over road hazards. I've been driving sports cars with sticky tires all over NY and NJ daily for years. I had 1 blowout on a pothole. In a year and change with the RX, I've had 2 tires replaced under road hazard warranty, but that coincided with a move to Long Island. One was literally a bolt in the tread and one was a nail in the sidewall. At 500 dollars, my road hazard warranty has already paid for itself.
Old 10-25-11, 10:14 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Call it bad luck but it's $280 a tire and I'm just doing regular driving. These tires are prone to picking up things. I had an BMW X3 prior to this car and an Acura TSX and never once had a flat.
I'm assuming that you're taking the route, right?
Old 10-26-11, 08:01 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I suggest you buy some sort of tire insurance or road hazard coverage.
Good suggestion for those who don't have this.

When I bought the car, I opted for the wheels/tires and Windshield insurance package. They wanted $1000 for 5 years with no deductible and I negotiated that down to $669. After one tire replacement ($280) and 2 flats fixed I think I got about half of that back and still have 3+ years to go.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX350 AWD Tires--Terrible