RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Not Sold on Electric Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 12:13 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Not Sold on Electric Power Steering

Sometimes when I am parallel parking (which is often in San Francisco, and often on hills!) the steering is so stiff that it requires a lot of effort to turn the darn thing from one side lock to the other. I thought the point of electric power steering was that it could adjust to be light when parking and in town, and heavy during highway speeds.

Perhaps something is wrong but I think it is a quirk I have to live with.

Anybody else experience something similar or want to chime in?

Of course, this is only for the RX450h because I think the 350 still uses hydraulic.
Old 11-07-11, 03:25 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I parallel park several times a week and have not noticed a difference. I don't remember doing it on a hill however, so maybe that makes the difference.

See if parking on a level surface makes a difference, then talk with your dealer. I would think that since it is by "wire" that there would be a programmable feedback loop in there somewhere that could be adjusted.
Old 11-07-11, 03:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

RXSF, the steering is noticeably stiffer on the 450h. The 19" tires add to it. I noticed this the first week I got the RX. More two hands on the wheel to make turns than one. And is the steering wheel bigger or is it just me Given that though, I haven't experienced difficulty turning the wheel more than 'normal.'
Old 11-07-11, 04:29 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought the 450h had electric variable ratio power steering?

From how stuff works:
Some cars have variable-ratio steering, which uses a rack-and-pinion gearset that has a different tooth pitch (number of teeth per inch) in the center than it has on the outside. This makes the car respond quickly when starting a turn (the rack is near the center), and also reduces effort near the wheel's turning limits

I thought the variable thing was done hydraulically. I had more trouble the first month driving down a straight road. It was back and forth an inch or so constantly. After that first month one of us, the car or I, learned to drive a straight line.

I too, don't parallel park on hillsides.
Old 11-07-11, 04:58 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Variable ratio means that the faster you're going the less power is needed, and the slower you go more power assist is given.

RE: being stiff, Anita brought up the normal 19" wheels on the 450h and that does have an effect. Also make sure you're tire pressures are at least in the 32 psi area when cold. A 'too soft' tire will also require more effort.

RE: electric power steering. By nature it will feel slightly different but in the case of the hybrid where the (ICE) is not always running, there needs to be a power supply hence 'electric' power steering. Also you're not losing engine power to work it.
Originally Posted by DunWkg
I thought the 450h had electric variable ratio power steering?

I thought the variable thing was done hydraulically. I had more trouble the first month driving down a straight road. It was back and forth an inch or so constantly. After that first month one of us, the car or I, learned to drive a straight line.

I too, don't parallel park on hillsides.
Old 11-07-11, 09:16 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Well if it was stiff while driving in all conditions, then I can understand it. But it actually takes effort to park sometimes, not all the time. It is like the computer doesnt know to tell the steering wheel to loosen up
Old 11-08-11, 10:09 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The third gen RX350 also has the electric power steering, though I haven't experienced stiffness when driving at low speeds or when parking.
Old 11-18-11, 12:14 PM
gmilburn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The electric power steering on my wife's 2006 GS300 is a little tedious to drive on long, straight highway trips because it seems to steer in increments rather than as smoothly as a hydraulic system. So it seems that I'm always making little adjustments just to go straight. However, my (electric steering) 2010 RX450h is very smooth; I'm loving it.
Old 11-18-11, 12:16 PM
gmilburn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, back to the topic -- I haven't noticed any stiffness in parking -- the steering seems easy.