RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Steering wheel damage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 12:03 PM
WhinySlim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel damage?

Hi all, I used these forums quite a bit while doing research before buying a new 2011 RX350 at the end of August. Our new car replaced the RX300 that we had purchased in August, 1999 and driven for over 152,000 miles.

We love the new car, but we've had one weird problem: the wood portion of the steering wheel has already gotten one major ding, an indent that I feel now every time I drive it. Not only has the one appeared, but I think that one or two other, smaller dings have occurred as well.

Has anyone else had their steering wheels suffer damage like that, especially so quickly? We haven't had any trauma applied to the wheel, just normal use, and it's not like we wear giant rings or anything that might damage the wheel.

Thanks in advance,
John
Old 11-10-11, 12:14 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

First welcome and congratulations. Second the varnish/finish Lexus puts on their wood is soft and this isn't the first thread discussing it. The dings are in the varnish, not the wood. The wood is harder than the varnish. Even tapping your hands (with rings on) on the steering wheel while listening to some nice tunes is enough to ding the stuff. There's not anyway to get out the dings that I am aware of, however, my wife dinged the wood on my old ES350... ONCE. I got in and immediately noticed the ding on the top part of the wheel and when I turned on the car she had her favorite CD playing quite loudly. I asked her if she was drumming on the wheel. She replied "Yeah, why?". I simply showed her and asked her not to do it again. She obliged.
Old 11-10-11, 12:17 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Oh I forgot to mention to be careful since the finish scratches easily as well. Carefule when turning the wheel like a truck driver or your watch clasp could catch the wood. I'm speaking from experience on that one. I used some Meguiar's plastic polish to diminish the appearance of the scratch.
Old 11-11-11, 09:18 AM
WhinySlim
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, I think we might be headed for a leather cover unless I can adjust to the feel of the now-pitted steering wheel. Not sure I love the feel of the wood anyway!

--John
Old 11-11-11, 10:23 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

got the same problem in my RXh. not a big deal to me; over time, everything will get dinged, scratched, etc through normal driving and usage. i wouldn't worry about it.

but having said that, contact your service advisor and ask them what they can do for you. they might recommend something that we haven't thought about.
Old 11-11-11, 10:35 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Like Stormforge said and that quote we've all seen on bumper stickers "stuff happens", it did and I expect it will on mine as well. But for my part, I'll never go back to leather. The wood feel is so good IMO. But I guess we are entitled to our own opinions so if you didn't like it from the get go, then try leather. The dealer can swap it out I'm sure or maybe you can find someone that wants wood and would be agreeable to an 'inevitable' ding on yours for a clean swap plus labor (that part could be a deal killer).
Anyway, I wouldn't fret it much. Pits in the W/S aggravate me more

Originally Posted by WhinySlim
Thanks for the info, I think we might be headed for a leather cover unless I can adjust to the feel of the now-pitted steering wheel. Not sure I love the feel of the wood anyway!

--John
Old 11-11-11, 11:37 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Like Stormforge said and that quote we've all seen on bumper stickers "stuff happens", it did and I expect it will on mine as well. But for my part, I'll never go back to leather. The wood feel is so good IMO. But I guess we are entitled to our own opinions so if you didn't like it from the get go, then try leather. The dealer can swap it out I'm sure or maybe you can find someone that wants wood and would be agreeable to an 'inevitable' ding on yours for a clean swap plus labor (that part could be a deal killer).
Anyway, I wouldn't fret it much. Pits in the W/S aggravate me more

Am I glad I don't have a wood steering wheel. Never wanted it, never will. Jim, the leather feels just fine
Old 11-11-11, 04:50 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Putting those after market leather wraps on your steering wheel adds bulk and makes it look cheaper.
Some people I know from work even put a sheep skin cover ( white) and it just looks hideous.
IMHO they don't belong to any car/SUV with a price tag that's more than 30K.
Old 11-11-11, 11:15 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just repair it ... if you don't think you can do it, have someone else do the repair. I would just fill the nick in with an appropriate clear coat that you can get at Home Depot. Take your time and you should get a very good repair.
Old 11-12-11, 07:21 AM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious what the cost would be of replacing the steering wheel? Mine is smooth but I have a feeling that if a ding appeared it would drive me batty.
Old 11-12-11, 08:28 AM
redog
Driver School Candidate

Default color match

The "wood" portion of my steering wheel does not match the color of the rest of the "wood" trim. I was told it was a universal wheel to match all interiors. Lexus being run by accountants?
Old 11-12-11, 12:25 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by redog
The "wood" portion of my steering wheel does not match the color of the rest of the "wood" trim. I was told it was a universal wheel to match all interiors. Lexus being run by accountants?
That's odd? What's your interior color?
I have a two tone black on gray interori on my Tungsten Pearl RX and all the wood in the car are identical.. The steering wheel, the shift **** ( there's a strip in the middle of he leather), the cup holder covers etc.

I'm eager To hear from other members.
Old 11-12-11, 12:44 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BatmobileX
I'm curious what the cost would be of replacing the steering wheel? Mine is smooth but I have a feeling that if a ding appeared it would drive me batty.
I would be very careful not to damage the steering wheel (by impact or sun damage). I have read posts in other ClubLexus forum areas about dealerships quoting replacement in the $2,000 range. I imagine that you could replace it with a leather only wheel much cheaper, have it professionally restored, go to a 3rd party aftermarket supplier or fix it yourself. I replaced a leather steering wheel in one of my cars about 5 years ago. I purchased a replacement on eBay and had it installed at a local auto body shop. I think the cost was under $400.
Old 11-12-11, 02:21 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not to sure about a $2k replacement cost unless of course the air bag blew but you'd be looking at far worse then anyway.

Seriously, this nick thing giving them character flaw has gotten out of character. Like any good piece of wood, it's soft enough to nick. If it's scratched below the stain (pretty serious scratch) then just apply some stain color with a swap and enjoy you're next drive. It's like a fine dining room table, they get nicks that give them character. Should not alter the drive at all tho.

Enjoy your car
Originally Posted by UCSB
I would be very careful not to damage the steering wheel (by impact or sun damage). I have read posts in other ClubLexus forum areas about dealerships quoting replacement in the $2,000 range. I imagine that you could replace it with a leather only wheel much cheaper, have it professionally restored, go to a 3rd party aftermarket supplier or fix it yourself. I replaced a leather steering wheel in one of my cars about 5 years ago. I purchased a replacement on eBay and had it installed at a local auto body shop. I think the cost was under $400.
Old 11-12-11, 03:19 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Obsidian/Parchment all my wood matches. On Lexus Drivers is an article showing the work that went into your wooden steering wheel, $2K maybe.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel damage?