RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

No Lights? Overhead Console

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11, 01:19 PM
Joebeaver1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Lights? Overhead Console

Hi, We bought our new RX 45h (2011) a few months ago. The overhead switches for the garage door openers and the moon roof do not light up at night making them hard to find. (with the lights on of course and dimmer set to high) Took it to the dealer and left it. Upon pick up they said they didn't know if the switches were illuminated ir not. What the heck? Do yours light up at night? Thank you so much.
Old 11-12-11, 01:29 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

You have just discovered one of the major complaints that people on this board have about the RX. It is a great vehicle but there are a few goofy things that Lexus just doesn't seem to want to correct!!
Old 11-12-11, 01:37 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No they don't light up ... but, there is an LED down light there that provides some dim illumination on the console. If you hold your hand in front of the garage door switches, light from the LED will bounce off your hand and give you enough illumination to see the garage door switches. Seems to work for me. I have thought about taking the upper console apart and installing a small LED on my primary garage door switch. There is definite power available in the area.
Old 11-12-11, 02:11 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Joe, welcome to the CL forums. Yep, such a great car this flaw isn't a deal breaker but still......

And you'd think that by now your dealer would know they wern't illuminated .

But we can tell ya all kinds of other stuff like how to tell the sexy NAV lady to "Shut Up B****", and other good tidbits

Seriously stay in touch with us and tell what you discover to other newbies that find their way here.

Enjoy
Originally Posted by Joebeaver1
Hi, We bought our new RX 45h (2011) a few months ago. The overhead switches for the garage door openers and the moon roof do not light up at night making them hard to find. (with the lights on of course and dimmer set to high) Took it to the dealer and left it. Upon pick up they said they didn't know if the switches were illuminated ir not. What the heck? Do yours light up at night? Thank you so much.
Old 11-12-11, 02:43 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

I should have added that there is a thread on this topic ... you probably can find it if you search. In that thread you can find other creative ideas like sticking glow in the dark items to the switch or sticking small tactile items to the switch. All with the intent of making it easier to find in the dark.
Old 11-12-11, 03:06 PM
VET4LES
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up customer service

I called Lexus Customer Service and they listened to me. Maybe it would help future owners if more of us called. 1-888-849-4505
Old 11-12-11, 05:03 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

I sent Lexus Hq an e-mail complaining about (1) the non-illuminated overhead panel (I stuck a small reflector up there with double back tape so I could find the switch in the dark), (2) the very small print on the temp readout in the center console, especially during certain daylight conditions, and (3) the glare off the center panel console metal finish. P.S., they left the "LEXUS" off the rear access on the 2011s.............
Old 11-12-11, 08:42 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RGSW
I sent Lexus Hq an e-mail complaining about (1) the non-illuminated overhead panel (I stuck a small reflector up there with double back tape so I could find the switch in the dark), (2) the very small print on the temp readout in the center console, especially during certain daylight conditions, and (3) the glare off the center panel console metal finish. P.S., they left the "LEXUS" off the rear access on the 2011s.............
Those are pretty small issues. I agree that the buttons should be lit, but it isn't a deal breaker. I turn off the night naviagation lighting (black background) and switch it to the slightly gray background option. That puts out enough whiteish light so that I can just see the overhead buttons.

LEXUS badge was left off all Lexus' starting in 2011. There was no point in keeping it on there and it looks cleaner without it. After over 20 years the public knows what the 'L' logo stands for. Just as people know what the Propeller logo (BMW) and Three Pointed Star (MB), it was deemed superfluous to have the name Lexus on the back of the car..

Last edited by Evitzee; 11-12-11 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-13-11, 03:06 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RGSW
For a few dollars, you can purchase the missing Lexus emblem and stick it on your car. It is a cheap, five minute fix if you would prefer to have it.
Old 11-13-11, 04:29 AM
KrisA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't light up & I still find myself fumbling for them at night, even hitting the moonroof buttons by mistake. As others have said, not a deal breaker, but sure is surprising that someone missed that detail. Otherwise , enjoy your new car....so many things to love!!
The following users liked this post:
kwbuggy (01-22-24)
Old 11-13-11, 08:52 AM
redog
Driver School Candidate

I put a piece of velcro on the garage opener button, I think Lexus must address their human engineering! I'm afraid accountants are now running Lexus.
Old 11-13-11, 09:22 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus goof ups

Originally Posted by redog
I put a piece of velcro on the garage opener button, I think Lexus must address their human engineering! I'm afraid accountants are now running Lexus.
I agree!!! The RX is a great car BUT there are lots of little things that much cheaper cars have that Lexus seems to leave off. It must be to save a few cents here and there but in a premium priced car one should not have to stick velcro on a switch to find it in the dark. 2011 Canadian market RXs don't have a USB port as standard equipment, the inability to switch seamlessly between KPH/MPH, Celsius to Fahrenheit, woodshift ***** are just a couple of the things that bug me about my $50K + purchase. They are not deal breakers but enough to make one look at the competition next time, even much cheaper Chev Equinox/GMC Terrains (also made here in Ontario) have all these features and more.
Old 11-13-11, 10:21 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Alright, so when is someone going to do a mod to that overhead console that provides lighting. I refuse to stick things on the buttons. I really don't have a hard time finding the button as that pin light guides me right to the button. I have the center button set for the garage door.

I just think it would be cool to have that lit up more. I may have to look into that. I have dismantled the rest of the car, I might as well go for that. LOL
Old 11-13-11, 12:07 PM
bigdenis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Alright, so when is someone going to do a mod to that overhead console that provides lighting.
I may have to look into that. I have dismantled the rest of the car, I might as well go for that. LOL
We're all waiting on you MEP.
Old 11-13-11, 01:00 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Go for it MEP. I couldn't figure out how to remove the entire console but maybe you can do it.

Quick Reply: No Lights? Overhead Console