RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Scratch Remover Left Paint Cloudy

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 05:44 AM
BlueSurf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
BlueSurf, your horrible experience could be a valuable lesson for the rest of us. Do you have any photographs of the damaged area prior to the repaint? If you have the time and patience, please post them. Some Lexus paint is very delicate and, from your description, very thin. It would be helpful to many folks to see what you're referring to. Thanks, it could save someone else from a very painful and expensive experience.
The scratch was no more than an inch and it wasn't down to the metal. I tried two scratch products, perhaps I should have given Dr.color chip a try? I was so frustrated to see the haze that was left behind. It was horrible on the M-red paint. Since I worked the area a little bigger that the scratch itself, I had a cloud the side of a dollar coin. I tried using waxes and polished it 2-3 times. It shined, however it was cloudy compared to the cars factory paint finish. The dealer told me never use any type of compound product. It will pull your finish off. In the last ten years most car manufactures use clear coat on pricier cars. I went to a local shop before the dealer. They wanted $700.00! I figured I go to the dealer and it saved me some $.
To repair that little scratch the dealer shop had to remove every tag on the trunk. All emblems, license tag mount..all of it. I had to purchase some new emblems since they will not reuse the Lexus, and 450H. They won't put glue on the emblems it looks second rate and its not like factory. One would never know the rear deck lid was painted.
The dealer couldn't repair the spot since the clear coat has to be sprayed on the entire surface to make it look right.