RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

YIKES!!! Stain on seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11 | 01:12 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

As I've had no problems in this car or the one before, I'd say it's jeans that are not color fast. Then if that's the case, not much is gonna help.

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Ignoring the creative editing in this thread I think it comes down to the care and also the batch of skins put on the seats. I doubt the Sales Manager at the Lexus dealer would steer me clear of parchment saying that it was a common problem of denim dye... not just any dye but denim dye... coming off on the seats. So somewhere in the middle there lies the truth. I know a ton of Nissan Maxima owners who've experienced zero issues yet I know at least two Infiniti owners who've had problems. After a thorough cleaning and "dealer magic" along with a prescribed care card they've been fine thusfar.
Old 11-23-11 | 01:14 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Indeed there are some creative editing in this thread. Parchment interior is not a problem if you keep up with proper cleaning. I had Parchment interior on my 08 GS350 and I had to use leather cleaner on my seat every 2 to 3 weeks to keep it looking good where as with black interior, it requires cleaning maybe once a year.
Lil4X, I had the leather protection applied to my old GX470's black interior and the color never came off when I wear light color pants, but I guess there might be different type of leather protection used by the dealer. The OP should do more research into what brand and what type of leather protection the dealer use, again read the small print.
Old 11-23-11 | 04:09 PM
dentate
Driver

If you read the Lexus RX manual, you will find that Lexus recommends leather be cleaned with a cleaned for wool (i.e. Woollite) as was previously stated and follow the directions in the manual for mixing Woollite to water. After purchasing the 2010, I found a low mileage 2009 RX pearl white with light beige interior that I bought as well...The only draw back was that the seats were a bit dirty...the dealer said he spent as much time as he could cleaning them...I read the manual and followed the maufacturers instructions for mixing the Woollite to water and cleaned my 2 front seats and voila...they look like new...I conditioned them and they look better than when i bought the SUV in June of 2009 and I have put about 25,000 km on it! By the way, I tried Lexol and a few others first--Woollite worked the best and the quickest. My 2010 has the light grey seats and both sets of seats look factory-fresh!
Just my experience and since it is what Lexus recommends that is what I will be sticking with!

dentate
near Toronto, ON
Old 11-23-11 | 04:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

dentate, thanks for your review of the Woolite/water solution. Like RXSF I considered getting the light grey interior with the accents but I thought about getting in with wet clothes from the rain or snow and body lotions that could stain the seats. It ended that idea real fast I've had black interiors since the 330, the 300 had a darkish grey interior that never showed dirt in the five years I drove it. I still clean the seats regularly though.
Old 11-24-11 | 06:48 AM
jamiec
Driver

Sorry to repost so late, but, I actually tried the simple solution first and it worked beautifully! I used a micro fiber cloth and some water and stain is gone!! Now I need to find a good leather conditioner to maintain my seat. Thank you all for the advice, I knew I could count on this board for help. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-26-11 | 04:43 PM
Nogee
Driver School Candidate

Default Solution mixture

The solution posted earlier had a 1 to 1 concentration. This is what I got from the owner's manual. Is a more concentrated solution than 5% needed?

The following procedures will help protect your vehicle's interior and keep it in top condition:

Protecting the vehicle interior

Remove dirt and dust using a vacuum cleaner. Wipe dirty surfaces with a cloth dampened with lukewarm water.

Cleaning the leather areas
Remove dirt and dust using a vacuum cleaner.
Wipe any excess dirt and dust with a soft cloth dampened with diluted detergent.
Use a diluted water solution of approximately 5% neutral wool detergent.
Wring out any excess water from the cloth and thoroughly wipe off all remaining traces of detergent.
Wipe the surface with a dry, soft cloth to remove any remaining moisture. Allow the leather to dry in a shaded and ventilated area.

Cleaning the synthetic leather areas
Remove loose dirt using a vacuum cleaner.
Apply a mild soap solution to the synthetic leather using a sponge or soft cloth.
Allow the solution to soak in for a few minutes. Remove the dirt and wipe off the solution with a clean, damp cloth.
Old 11-26-11 | 04:56 PM
afpj
Instructor

have same issue with wife's jeans. One day last year got a discount coupon for lexus accessories and got the lexus leather cleaner and conditioner. they worked great for the stains. being a lexus label, probably cost 10 x more than the Woolite idea, but was a lot more handy. sorry for the lack of caps, only got one hand usable at the moment...
Old 11-27-11 | 05:36 AM
tapau
Rookie

Hey Jamiec, what exactly did you finally use? I'm confused about the "simple solution". Please let me know, it would save me a lot of time.

Thanks
Old 12-07-11 | 10:17 AM
jamiec
Driver

Tapau.........i just took a clean micro fiber cloth, dampened it with water and rubbed lightly until the stain came out. Voila!