RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start option

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-13, 03:49 PM
dennis09x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 mile away in perfect conditions mind you... like being on the tenth floor overlooking a prairie view and seeing your car approx a mile away. Maybe then a mile will work. But in cases where you have to park 6 blocks away in a building, perhaps that mile becomes 0.2 miles. I'd rather get the smartphone system, assuming it works. Anyone here have a positive experience with any of the systems (Drone, smart start, etc.)?
Old 01-06-13, 04:15 PM
FamilyRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone else installed the new Lexus V9 remote start system? If so, what are your thoughts?

FamilyRX
(coming soon)
Old 01-06-13, 06:53 PM
kingnba6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ive used the smart start viper system, and it does what it is supposed to do. sometimes there is lag between pressing the button and the actual function. sometimes it takes up to a minute. but other than that, it always works. i was in florida for vacation while my car was in ny. i checked with my brother who was at home near the car to see if the system worked. and well it did work.
Old 01-06-13, 08:51 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis09x
1 mile away in perfect conditions mind you... like being on the tenth floor overlooking a prairie view and seeing your car approx a mile away. Maybe then a mile will work. But in cases where you have to park 6 blocks away in a building, perhaps that mile becomes 0.2 miles. I'd rather get the smartphone system, assuming it works. Anyone here have a positive experience with any of the systems (Drone, smart start, etc.)?
Have the Drone with GPS on current RXh in addition to factory remote start and Viper SmartStart without GPS on previous RXh and now current Nissan.

Both systems have network difficulties every so often, otherwise very reliable.

The market is getting very competitive and similar options offered on both factory and third party remote starters.

I would not have a car without it anymore...spoiled. I would like the alarm functions integrated with the remote start. Don't have that now.
Old 01-07-13, 07:06 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the viper with smart start and it works great. Yes sometime a little lag 30 secs but it has always worked. I have used the GPS function many times to find out where the kids are in my car
Old 01-07-13, 04:01 PM
smokey0066
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm planning on picking up a RX450H in the next week. I like the option of OEM remote starter because it utilizes existing key fob and does not tamper with existing wires.

I think the installation is straight forward aside from the Toyota Techstream. Is this DIYable or do i need to do the install and take it into the dealer to register the new feature? It just shows using Techstream to confirm the setup but can I just remote start to see if it works? Isn't that the same?
Old 01-07-13, 05:58 PM
FamilyRX
Rookie

AFAIK the Techstream is required to register the remote start ECU with the certification ECU. Failure to follow this step will result in an inoperative remote start.

FamilyRX
(coming soon)
Old 01-07-13, 09:34 PM
dennis09x
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info everyone, ill be trying this whole debacle come next Thursday, i'll update you with what i get and what the results are.
Old 01-08-13, 10:31 AM
dv8nyc
Driver School Candidate

Default Res+

Need an opinion:
I just leased a 2013 RX, it has most of available options but no remote start which I used a lot on my previous car.

Do you think it makes sense installing RES+, considering it's a leased car (36mo). Would it have a positive impact when I'm returning the car or switching a lease? Installation would be around 1K and I have reservations spending so much to improve a car I don't really own.

Would it make sense to remove RES+ at the lease end and resell it or in 3 years it would depreciate to 0?
Old 01-08-13, 11:18 AM
ecr72
Driver

Originally Posted by dv8nyc
Need an opinion:
I just leased a 2013 RX, it has most of available options but no remote start which I used a lot on my previous car.

Do you think it makes sense installing RES+, considering it's a leased car (36mo). Would it have a positive impact when I'm returning the car or switching a lease? Installation would be around 1K and I have reservations spending so much to improve a car I don't really own.

Would it make sense to remove RES+ at the lease end and resell it or in 3 years it would depreciate to 0?
Simple math. Is the RES+ feature set worth about $350 per year? If yes, proceed to the nearest Lexus service center. If no, enjoy your new vehicle as is.
Old 01-08-13, 04:42 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FamilyRX
AFAIK the Techstream is required to register the remote start ECU with the certification ECU. Failure to follow this step will result in an inoperative remote start.

FamilyRX
(coming soon)

According to the installation instructions registration can be done w/o connecting to the computer; if the manual method fails then the computer is needed

c. Locate the 1P RES
Diagnostic Connectors in
the Passenger’s Side
Cowl Area and connect them.
NOTE: Once connected you will
have 10 minutes to complete this
section, steps d–y.

Place the Vehicle in Park (P)
or Neutral (N) position.
f. With the Remote Control Key
in your possession, cycle the
Smart Key Ignition Button
from OFF to ON 5 times.
NOTE: One cycle consists of:
OFF →Accessory →ON. This is
equivalent to pressing the Smart
Key Ignition Button 14 times.
LOOK: for the Hazard Lights to
Flash once.
g. Start the Engine.
h. After 10 seconds stop the
Engine.
LOOK: For the Hazard Lights to
flash Once.
IF THIS PROCEDURE FAILED
The Hazard Lights flash Three
Times.
• Disconnect the V4 Harness’s 1P
RES Diagnostic Connectors.

If the above provedure fails THEN you will need computer. I can't upload the whole file (don't know why...)
Old 01-08-13, 05:30 PM
smokey0066
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

M1964 - thanks I did see the instruction set on Sewell but I don't own the vehicle yet so now way for me to check. Just considering my options already before taking ownership :P
Old 01-22-13, 09:12 AM
dennis09x
Driver School Candidate

I got a "directed smartstart" unit installed. Its working great so far, 135$ for three year service. Commands are a little slow sometimes (20 sec) but overall, it's great. Now i just need to play around with it.
Old 01-30-13, 08:07 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was about to install the "smart start" with the smartphone for $750 (include GPS tracking) plus $60/year subscription but then decided to save $250 by just installed normal remote starter to the OEM key fob for $500. have to press the lock key 3 times to start/stop.
Old 02-13-13, 07:33 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update: Just came back to add Viper smatstart + Alarm for another 350 + 120 for 3 years subscription.. So total $970 for everything. Love the smart start system. The reason i came back for the smart start because the range of the Lexus Keyfob is a joke + the engine shut off when opening the door

Quick Reply: Remote start option