RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

prepare upgrade to Mark levinson

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11 | 08:08 PM
marcarl
Driver School Candidate

I just took delivery on a 450h that had ML. Got an extra $500 discount because I didn't really want the upgraded stereo. I can't tell the difference between the ML and the radio in wifey's 350 with the standard stereo. $1400 extra for nothing.
Old 11-30-11 | 10:22 PM
Rookie

oh, come on man....the ML is more powerful, and more surrounding, and more clearly......i wish your ML could be mine...haha just kindling~~~
Originally Posted by marcarl
I just took delivery on a 450h that had ML. Got an extra $500 discount because I didn't really want the upgraded stereo. I can't tell the difference between the ML and the radio in wifey's 350 with the standard stereo. $1400 extra for nothing.
Old 11-30-11 | 10:40 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

I have the ML in mine and I think it is nice but if I was in your shoes, I cannot justify all that money to upgrade to it. It also depends on what music you're planning to play in your system; if you're using compressed MP3 files, you will not get the most out of the ML. Like they say, garbage in, garbage out, ML is not magic.

Not to get off topic though, it seems like you're very driven to get this done and you very much enjoy doing the work. I wish the best to you and hopefully everything works perfect when all is done.
Old 12-01-11 | 08:50 AM
Rookie

thank you for the suggestion~~~I will post some picture for that, after I done it~~
Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
I have the ML in mine and I think it is nice but if I was in your shoes, I cannot justify all that money to upgrade to it. It also depends on what music you're planning to play in your system; if you're using compressed MP3 files, you will not get the most out of the ML. Like they say, garbage in, garbage out, ML is not magic.

Not to get off topic though, it seems like you're very driven to get this done and you very much enjoy doing the work. I wish the best to you and hopefully everything works perfect when all is done.
Old 12-01-11 | 08:53 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by marcarl
My Mark Levinson will play DVD's for video and audio which is a great way to store a whack of songs. It also has other features.

I also agree that the sound is richer and fuller. I test drove a regular radio and it was very nice but I never felt like I was sitting in my living room.
Old 12-01-11 | 08:56 AM
Rookie

yours can store music fro CD to HDD??????? I thought there is no this function in NA....... can you post some picture?
Originally Posted by InRBigness
My Mark Levinson will play DVD's for video and audio which is a great way to store a whack of songs. It also has other features.

I also agree that the sound is richer and fuller. I test drove a regular radio and it was very nice but I never felt like I was sitting in my living room.
Old 12-01-11 | 10:17 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

not on the HDD. If you burn a dvd with music on it it wil play in the system as it has the ability to read DVD on just CD-rom
Old 12-01-11 | 11:35 AM
Rookie

oh, I see, just like i burn music as CD or burn mp3 on CD. When you say that I was so amazing because i never see this option on Lexus in NA, it is a option in China and Japan and most Europe model.
Originally Posted by InRBigness
not on the HDD. If you burn a dvd with music on it it wil play in the system as it has the ability to read DVD on just CD-rom
Old 12-01-11 | 04:40 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

I have the ML system and I recommend that while you are changing all the speakers out that you put some sound deadening material in as well. Especially in the rear where the sub is. I actually pulled the sub and did behind the speaker as well as the entire rear compartment. This makes a noticeable difference in the bass response. I also did behind the speakers in all the doors. While you're at it you might as well do it right. Good luck with your project.
Old 12-01-11 | 08:52 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

if i were you, i would not upgrade to ML (assuming you are still interested in upgrading your current stereo). for the money you are spending, i would spend another few thousand dollars more and get a really good aftermarket stereo system. that type of money you can get hi-end stereo equipment, it will give you way better sound quality than ML. check out a reputable car audio store in your area that specializes in hi-end sound system. you won't regret going that route.
Old 12-01-11 | 10:34 PM
Rookie

for the speakers, you mean put it just a small piece right behind the speaker or put a big piece for the entire door? for the cargo area sub, I will do it when I got the both side cargo area speaker, because these two speakers are not include in 12 speakers system, so I will do them together because do want to disassembly the panel for twice,haha.
Originally Posted by MEP7557
I have the ML system and I recommend that while you are changing all the speakers out that you put some sound deadening material in as well. Especially in the rear where the sub is. I actually pulled the sub and did behind the speaker as well as the entire rear compartment. This makes a noticeable difference in the bass response. I also did behind the speakers in all the doors. While you're at it you might as well do it right. Good luck with your project.
Old 12-01-11 | 10:38 PM
Rookie

I agree with you suggestion, and it is a better way for music fans, but I am just want to make my car to be exactly the same as the factor one, so in order to make it perfect, then I choose ML, and the 12 speakers are on the way(except the two cargo area speakers).
Originally Posted by Stormforge
if i were you, i would not upgrade to ML (assuming you are still interested in upgrading your current stereo). for the money you are spending, i would spend another few thousand dollars more and get a really good aftermarket stereo system. that type of money you can get hi-end stereo equipment, it will give you way better sound quality than ML. check out a reputable car audio store in your area that specializes in hi-end sound system. you won't regret going that route.
Old 12-02-11 | 06:47 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 164287356
for the speakers, you mean put it just a small piece right behind the speaker or put a big piece for the entire door? for the cargo area sub, I will do it when I got the both side cargo area speaker, because these two speakers are not include in 12 speakers system, so I will do them together because do want to disassembly the panel for twice,haha.
I put several pieces in the door as it is hard to get one large piece in. I did not do the whole inside just several random pieces to help with the vibration. Most important is to get a big piece right behind the speaker, you should be fine with that. I did not get up to the 2 satellite speakers in the rear but I did do the wheel wells and the entire area where the spare sits. I also put some in the rear hatch. Have fun.
Old 12-02-11 | 07:56 AM
Rookie

ok, I see, I will buy some deadening material today. Thanks for your good suggestion~
Originally Posted by MEP7557
I put several pieces in the door as it is hard to get one large piece in. I did not do the whole inside just several random pieces to help with the vibration. Most important is to get a big piece right behind the speaker, you should be fine with that. I did not get up to the 2 satellite speakers in the rear but I did do the wheel wells and the entire area where the spare sits. I also put some in the rear hatch. Have fun.
Old 12-02-11 | 04:59 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Wow, for that amount, go with Focal speakers and JL subs and amps for each. Also get a digital sound processor coz your factory radio will still sound flat even if you upgrade your speakers. All these will cost not even half of your budget. If you're not an audiophile, it's not worth spending that much.

Mine only has 9 speakers (4 front, 4 rear, 1 sub) and it sounds magnificent. Keep in mine that calibration is the most important aspect of sound quality production and unfortunately, most installers don't know how to calibrate one.

Quick Reply: prepare upgrade to Mark levinson