RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

It's called PPA, potential problem analysis

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 05:20 PM
mstrgator
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's called PPA, potential problem analysis

I guess I love this club most of all because folks on here are about as obsessive as I am about planning and getting things perfect.

Two weeks from Monday, 12/19, I will make the 125 mile drive to Macon, Ga to get the new 2012 Red Matador RX with luxury pkg and HUD etc. It is now passing Cuba and will be in JAX Friday.

I have negotiated the deal already so that is out of the way but there will be paperwork to do.

You guys have saved me a bunch of money and I have learned so much about the car.

Now as I head down there I want to make sure I am prepared to get the final details right.

I have two questions I can think of where you can help me...you may think of others.

1. On the car itself, is there anything I should get them to do while they are getting it ready for delivery. A good example....thanks to info on this website, I have looked through the owner selected programmable features and have selected changes they can make for me. Of particular interest there is the programming of the door handle on the liftback to go up automatically...wouldn't have even known about that without you guys.

what other things like than can they do prior to delivery while they got it?

2. Regarding the paperwork, what things should I study or look into now so I will know what to do when I am at the dealership?

Good example.....I mentioned on a thread yesterday I was looking at getting the 0.9% rate and would likley finance all 47000 of the final price. Someone brought up gap insurance that I hadn't even thought of. Went to see my insurance guy today and their insurance for new cars which will give you new car pricing for years 1-3 and the some other stuff for 3-6 costs 21 dollars/yr. He said dealerships often charge 4-800 dollars for the same thing for the life of the loan.

What else like that do I need to be prepared for? I am pretty savvy and won't get screwed but knowledge is power so the more I know before I go the easier it will for me to not get screwed.

What about extended warranty? I'm sure they will offer that. Do I need to get outside quotes on that before I go? What other things like that are going to come up?

So far these folks in Macon seem very above board and much more interested in serving me than the local guys but I want to know everything I can.....I blew them away when I requested the programming for the liftgate....they said they have never had someone ask for that before the car even arrived. I am absolutely convinced I know more about the RX than almost all the salesmen out there and I plan to keep it that way...with help from you folks.

Thanks for the help on these last minute things. I will post pictures by Xmas.
BTW..the Gx I currently drive which is going to DIL for xmas will have dash replaced next week. Had ugly cracks in it and thnaks to you guys I got lexus to pay for half--you guys are the best!!

Mastergator
Old 11-30-11, 05:35 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

They might offer you the interior protection program thingie. Some folks go for it others don't. It's supposed to help protect from interior fading, cracking of leather, etc. Most folks don't go for it since if you take good care of the interior/exterior you shouldn't need it.

My sales rep didn't offer that to me nor did the even consider offering me an extended warranty. He put it fairly simple - these things don't break. And if something is going to go wrong with it whatever it is will most likely happen within the ample factory warranty period.

One thing I told my dealer to do is NOT put any dealerhship badging on the car. No stickers, no license plate frame, nada. They aren't paying me for advertising their dealership so why should I drive around with dealer tattoos and a frame?
Old 11-30-11, 05:39 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

One other thing. Some folks here cannot work their Nav system while in motion. I think that is a dealer setting that can be done since I have always been able to work the nav system (new destinaton, etc) while in motion since the day I picked it up.
Old 11-30-11, 05:49 PM
Nded
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can wait until month 48 to buy an extended warranty, and there are dealers out there known to offer a better price. Don't buy the extended warranty on day one.
Old 11-30-11, 05:50 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

First thing a I noticed on the new 2012 RX 350 was lack of side moldings, no protection there at all
from other car doors or shopping carts.

So I called my dealer today and will have them install before I take delivery in a couple weeks, color matched side molding, @ $1.33.00 a pair + installation.
Old 12-01-11, 04:32 AM
Sixtyplus
Driver School Candidate

I got two stone chips on the front of hood in the first week I drove car. I wish I would have had clear bra installed before delivery. If dealer is too pricey, check around for someone else and get it done.
Old 12-01-11, 04:47 AM
mstrgator
Driver School Candidate

great comments and suggestions. Just what I was looking for
Old 12-01-11, 06:00 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Ditto on what was said re: dealer decals badging, etc other than maybe a license plate frame ( you can always change or remove that ). RE: Nav, the only to use it while moving is the safe way. Push the button on the steering wheel and say destination then just lilsten for the prompts and audibly add the info. It's so much easier even than manual programing I really don't know what bugs folks about not being able to do it while moving. I use the audible way even while parked.

Seems like you have everything else pretty much in line. Make sure they transfer your contacts from your phone for you. You can do it, but it's a nice touch for them to do while your watching.

Drive and enjoy
Originally Posted by mstrgator
great comments and suggestions. Just what I was looking for
Old 12-01-11, 07:17 AM
mstrgator
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jim,

I was really impressed with this dealership when we agreed on price. The sales guy said he would lock the car keys in his desk...no one would test drive this car....and there would be no dealer logos etc on the car. They really seem to be very above board.

Never had nav in the car before so I have to spend some time figuring out what all you can do.

When you mention downloading contacts from the phone, I figure you are talking about making calls with the car itself and that is also new to me. Mama is going to like that feature.

Got so much to learn about using all the RX has to offer.....but you guys will get me through that.

MG
Old 12-01-11, 10:04 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With regards to the extended warrenty, if you have the money, buy it now. You will save money if you negotiate properly.

I called Jerry Johnson in Kansas for a quote. He is widely touted on these forums as having the best prices for extended Factory Lexus Warranty's . I got his price and then called a bunch of dealers in Toronto as the American one would not work here and got prices. Everyone told me the same thing. If you buy it at time of purchase it is cheaper due to the fact there has been no history of work to the car. Jerry said the same thing.

The idea being that if you purchase exteded warr. when the vehicle is at the end of the regular warranty, then you probably feel that you are going to need it in the future. Lexus would not be able to charge more for cars they deem will be likely to use the warrently later so they charge everyone more apparently. When its new everyone is on same footing.

Also included with the extended warr. I recieved 4 extra free oil changes and a tire rotation in addition to the ones that came with new purchase.

Price for 8 year 200,000k (125,000 miles) Retail is $3950.

jerry johnson Hutchison Toyota - $3400

Lexus of Oakville- $3600

Richmond Hill - $3800

Lexus of Edmonton- $3400

Woodhaven Lexus (mine) - originally offered for $3350 but sold to me for $3200.

Cost according to all sources is $3150. I know this because I got the "What? We have to pay $3150 for it" twice. Jerry also confirmed this price or close to it.

I would also get Paint Protection film put on and body side moldings are a must. After that, you can talk to me or Kitlz about LED and lighting upgrades.
Old 12-01-11, 09:02 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Two advantages of getting the extended warranty now is you can finance it and if you are getting a 0.9% rate it is cost effective, and getting it now you get it at the current price and not the inflated price you will find in 4 years time when the warranty is about to run out. And they will negotiate on the price when you are doing your paperwork......they like to add this stuff on at the point of sale.
Old 12-02-11, 06:45 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Two advantages of getting the extended warranty now is you can finance it and if you are getting a 0.9% rate it is cost effective, and getting it now you get it at the current price and not the inflated price you will find in 4 years time when the warranty is about to run out. And they will negotiate on the price when you are doing your paperwork......they like to add this stuff on at the point of sale.

Here's some quotes I just got from my dealer in my area:

RX350 Platinum protection:

6yr/70,000 miles - $2030
6yr/100,000 miles -2475
7yr/75,000 miles - $2455
7yr/100,000 miles - $2815

Although to be fare to me and you, I don't know what this covers as far as equipment.

Also do these years and mileage kick in AFTER my EOM warranty??
Old 12-02-11, 07:49 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
Here's some quotes I just got from my dealer in my area:

RX350 Platinum protection:

6yr/70,000 miles - $2030
6yr/100,000 miles -2475
7yr/75,000 miles - $2455
7yr/100,000 miles - $2815

Although to be fare to me and you, I don't know what this covers as far as equipment.

Also do these years and mileage kick in AFTER my EOM warranty??

They should kick in when you reach the original 4 years OR 50,000 miles that came with your new vehicle. So for example if you hit 50,000 miles in 3 1/2 years your extended will kick in to cover you. So for that first option you are paying $1,015 a year or an extra $0.1015 per mile.
Old 12-03-11, 12:08 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You might consider getting a Lexus Pursuits VisaŽ Card. This card pays you back 1.5% in $$$ that you can use at your Lexus dealership. I haven't done it yet, but they mention that you can get up to 50,000 points on the card when you buy a new Lexus. I don't know what this means exactly, but 50,000 points is worth $500 in service, parts or other purchases. Might be worth pursuing ... it would be nice to pickup $500 just for buying the car.
Old 12-03-11, 02:13 PM
gladiator9
Driver

You might ask the dealer if the latest navigation update is done. It should be the 2012 version. Dealers are charging $169.00 plus 1/2 hour labour to install it. I would also ask for the rear carpet if it is not already included for your vehicle. The side mouldings can be ordered from Sewell along with the splash guards. I just installed both on my brother's 2010 RX and we completed the job in less than 2 hours.
Good luck!
Jim

Quick Reply: It's called PPA, potential problem analysis