RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Leather durability in RX (3rd gen.)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 07:37 PM
david9012
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather durability in RX (3rd gen.)

I just bought a 2010 CPO RX350 (20,000 miles / loaner vehicle) and am pretty excited about it since it's my first Lexus. So far, everything seems great but the drivers side seat leather seems to have some wrinkles, some fairly deep.

From searching the forums, it seems that Lexus leather is softer and requires more regular conditoining than other vehicles to keep the leather looking good.

Question for forums:

Any way to restore the leather to get rid of the wrinkles or prevent future wrinkles?

Do I need to worry about the leather tearing any time soon?

Thank you!
Old 12-02-11, 08:58 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

There's a pretty good discussion here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...s-leather.html

Personally, I don't think it will tear. When I first got mine, I had a job that required me to get in and out of the car several times a day. I wore the seam at belt level in the bolster pretty badly.
Old 12-02-11, 09:28 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

it wont tear but it will look ugly as hell. I hope you didnt buy one with tan or beige interior
Old 12-02-11, 10:25 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

It won't tear. For conditioning I am a Lexol leather conditioning fan, however, there are many fine products out there. You cannot get rid of existing wrinkles completely but proper care can diminish them and prevent new ones.

Interesting factoid my dealer sales manager told me when I was in a few weeks ago is Lexus uses a different type and thickness of leather on the outside butt pad on the seats since sliding in and out wore down the thinner leather they used to use like the rest of the seat. He said they practice this approach on the RX as well as the LS. Not sure the exact year they started this.
Old 12-02-11, 10:47 PM
py0413
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use zymol leather cleaner and conditioner. To maximumize the result, always clean your leather surface before using the conditioner/protectant. I have many leather care product and I find zymol product to be the best in result but it requires more effort to use. (for example, to warm up the surface before application)
Old 12-02-11, 11:19 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by david9012
I just bought a 2010 CPO RX350 (20,000 miles / loaner vehicle) and am pretty excited about it since it's my first Lexus. So far, everything seems great but the drivers side seat leather seems to have some wrinkles, some fairly deep.

From searching the forums, it seems that Lexus leather is softer and requires more regular conditoining than other vehicles to keep the leather looking good.

Question for forums:

Any way to restore the leather to get rid of the wrinkles or prevent future wrinkles?

Do I need to worry about the leather tearing any time soon?

Thank you!
Keep it well conditioned and it will be fine!

... also, congratulations on your first Lexus and welcome to the club!! The first Lexus is always special.
Old 12-03-11, 06:18 AM
david9012
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback on the leather. And yes, I did get a tan interior since it goes well with the light blue exterior. I'll take a look at the Lexol and Zymol produce - I take it they both work for perforated seat application too?
Old 12-03-11, 07:52 AM
py0413
Driver

Originally Posted by david9012
Thanks for the feedback on the leather. And yes, I did get a tan interior since it goes well with the light blue exterior. I'll take a look at the Lexol and Zymol produce - I take it they both work for perforated seat application too?
Yes, they should and you can always read the instruction on their web or on the package. They do have different recommendations for applying on different types of leather.
Old 12-03-11, 04:22 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Lexol - spray, massage, wipe, buff. Done. Just watch for overspray on other surfaces. Clean those with a microfiber
Old 12-04-11, 02:22 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to kinda hijack this thread but it is related to Lexus leather.

About three weeks in, the leather from the drivers seat started to wrinkle and now it has gotten pretty bad. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could fix this?
Old 12-04-11, 05:10 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Wow. That looks a lot like water damage. Not sure how those wrinkles can be fixed other than complete replacement of the bottom section of seat
Old 12-04-11, 07:31 AM
py0413
Driver

Originally Posted by ThChinaman

About three weeks in, the leather from the drivers seat started to wrinkle and now it has gotten pretty bad. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could fix this?
wipe it clean first then apply conditioner a few times. It might help a little. I had a leather couch sitting under leaking roof for a while and the damage was worse than your seat, but was able to make the condition look better with using autoglym leather conditioner.
Old 12-04-11, 11:51 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There has never been water spilled on that seat. The dealer has applied their Magna Shield product on it. Perhaps they did a bad job? I'll go bug them about it and see what they can do.
Old 12-04-11, 04:48 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

There has never been water spilled on that seat. The dealer has applied their Magna Shield product on it. Perhaps they did a bad job? I'll go bug them about it and see what they can do.
if that is the case I would definitely visit the dealer
Old 12-04-11, 05:55 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is hard to evaluate this problem because we don't know how long you have owned your car or how many miles you have put on it. You might ask your dealer if it could be replaced under warranty. My opinion is the leather is very easy to damage in the car. I am very lightweight and still put a cotton towel on the drivers seat to protect it when I am driving.

Last edited by UCSB; 12-04-11 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Leather durability in RX (3rd gen.)