RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX HUD is tilted. Is it normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 10:08 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RX HUD is tilted. Is it normal?

My RX Heads up display is higher on the left side and lower on the right when you look at it - is this normal? It's becoming annoying really, given the Lexus motto: "Relentless pursuit of... blah! I am wondering if yours' is straight. I used to have the HS with all the options (but it got totalled) and the HUD was pretty straight. I just need some facts before I go to the dealership and have it leveled to avoid a runaround.

I've attached a photo and it looks even here, but I realized the road was slanted more to the driver side.
Attached Thumbnails RX HUD is tilted.  Is it normal?-img_1701.jpg  

Last edited by LXGXSAM1; 12-12-11 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-09-11, 04:38 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LXGXSAM1
My RX Heads up display is higher on the left side and lower on the right when you look at it - is this normal? It's becoming annoying really, given the Lexus motto: "Relentless pursuit of... blah! I am wondering if yours' is straight. I used to have the HS with all the options (but it got totalled) and the HUD was pretty straight. I just need some facts before I go to the dealership and have it leveled to avoid a runaround.
From pics I have seen of the HUD having it tilted is not normal. That definitely would be annoying. Like constantly looking at a crooked painting on the wall annoying
Old 12-09-11, 04:42 AM
TampaOwner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it has HUd it's new enough to still be under warranty... the lens that broadcasts the HUD image is probably crooked or loose?
Old 12-09-11, 06:30 AM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Originally Posted by TampaOwner
if it has HUd it's new enough to still be under warranty... the lens that broadcasts the HUD image is probably crooked or loose?
It's hard to describe, the images are fine and clear but imagine holding your LCD alarm clock in front of you then tilt the left side up and back while keeping the right side in place (not moved), that's how the display looks like.
Old 12-09-11, 06:31 AM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
From pics I have seen of the HUD having it tilted is not normal. That definitely would be annoying. Like constantly looking at a crooked painting on the wall annoying
Yeah - trapezoidal effect!
Old 12-09-11, 07:13 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you post a photo straight on so we can best answer your question as to whether or not it's normal?
Thx

Originally Posted by LXGXSAM1

Last edited by Cruiter; 12-09-11 at 07:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-11, 09:36 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is the same way. It appears to be going downhill toward the middle of the car. It was bothereing me, but as the car is brand new, I was very hesitant to do make any modifications to my car.... Damn it, almost kept a staight face. I took a small level out there and the HUD is actually level. It appears to be an optical illusion in my case. Wait is that a double negative?

Take a level out and check to see if the box is level on the windshield. The way the dash curves and the window curvature makes it appear that the HUD is crooked.
Old 12-09-11, 01:52 PM
crawgator
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noticed the same left to right lean the day I drove our 2011 RX350 home in June. Service said HUD was not adjustable.
Old 12-09-11, 01:55 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just checked ours and it is straight, no tilt visible. But looking at how the system works it is projecting on a slanted surface (windshield) so there are probably tolerances that could cause it to be slanted or crooked. Did you play around with the orientation button on the dash to move it up and down, it might make a bit of difference. Don't know if there is adjustment possible by the dealer, bring it up next time you are there.
Old 12-09-11, 03:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Straight on HUD is fine for me. Sitting at the littlest angle makes it look crooked, almost like the right side gets wider. It's hard to explain or take a picture. I don't consider it a problem. Heck, I forget it's there most of the time, LOL!

I'd have it checked out by the dealer.
Old 12-09-11, 06:28 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is perfectly level, no problems. I would have noticed something like that and I would have definitely taken it to the dealer. Let us know the outcome of this, maybe it got mounted crooked.
Old 12-09-11, 08:23 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Originally Posted by InRBigness
Mine is the same way. It appears to be going downhill toward the middle of the car. It was bothereing me, but as the car is brand new, I was very hesitant to do make any modifications to my car.... Damn it, almost kept a staight face. I took a small level out there and the HUD is actually level. It appears to be an optical illusion in my case. Wait is that a double negative?

Take a level out and check to see if the box is level on the windshield. The way the dash curves and the window curvature makes it appear that the HUD is crooked.
LOL! I actually did try it already but I realized the cheap level from Walmart was off too. I have to go to Lowe's and get one that's straight. I hope it is the case as yours because I am just afraid the dealership would just screw it up some more by introducing unwanted sounds around the dashboard.
Old 12-09-11, 08:25 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Thank you everybody for your comments!!!
Old 01-02-12, 09:54 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Dealer checked the HUD last week and the writeup indicated they compared it to other RXs in the lot with HUD and they are all like it, a bit tilted up on the left side.
Old 01-03-12, 11:38 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made in Japan or Ontario?

Quick Reply: RX HUD is tilted. Is it normal?