RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote Starter installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-12, 05:30 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
The auto headlights do not turn on with the Lexus remote start either. But I would make sure the rain sensing wipers are off. Melting ice or snow might trigger the sensor. It could potentially damage the wipers or the motor if the wipers are stuck to the windshield.
If the wipers are stuck to the windshield, there should be some protection built-in by Lexus, such as when the motor increases current draw, it will be disconnected by the ECU...

Originally Posted by RaZz
Its pretty brutal that here in Canada we dont have great options (from the dealer even) and a remote start is a must in Calgary as is it is in Manitoba.

What are your thoughts on that?
It is relatively easy to install OEM RES by yourself, and you should be able to get the module even if ordered from USA.
Old 11-07-12, 05:32 PM
Drtdvl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaZz
Hey Guys,

I have been jumping through some threads on the board about remote start and i'm still not sure what I should do in regards to the remote starter issue.

I pick up my 2012 RX450h from the dealer in a couple of weeks and I declined the remote starter etc.

is the viper really worth it? I mean 800+ for a starter is pretty steep.

The dealer told me aftermarket would probably be cheaper for me; but I have no idea who here in Calgary could a good job on something like this.

Its pretty brutal that here in Canada we dont have great options (from the dealer even) and a remote start is a must in Calgary as is it is in Manitoba.

What are your thoughts on that?
Hi RaZz,
I had my remote starter installed by Edmonton Lexus (and they actually install themselves). The brand is "Directed Smart Start" and I am pretty sure it is the same unit as Viper as the smartphone app for both brands is the same. I have been pretty happy with it and can report that the smartphone app works way better on the iPhone than the Blackberry. Among other things, the app locks/unlocks the doors, opens the hatch.
Old 11-09-12, 02:54 PM
kspec
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool, sounds hektic gonna see if theres any installers in sydney australia
Old 12-18-12, 08:47 PM
mykoolspam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also been in the market for a car starter, but am unsure what to go with.

Drtdvl, how much did it cost for the car starter at Lexus of Edmonton?

I've never heard of "Directed Smart Start" before though. I've been pretty set on CompuStar, and second choice would be Viper..

And are you guys saying to avoid places like futureshop for the install?

Thanks!
Old 12-24-12, 11:23 AM
Drtdvl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was around $1100 installed. It also requires a cell plan which is $15 per year for the car to connect to the network.

I'm pretty sure the Directed brand is the same as Viper as the iPhone app looks identical. I am pretty happy with the starter aside from the car shutting off when you open the door. I've resorted to keeping a snow brush in the house so I don't have to restart the car everytime I open the door.
Originally Posted by mykoolspam
I've also been in the market for a car starter, but am unsure what to go with.

Drtdvl, how much did it cost for the car starter at Lexus of Edmonton?

I've never heard of "Directed Smart Start"a before though. I've been pretty set on CompuStar, and second choice would be Viper..

And are you guys saying to avoid places like futureshop for the install?

Thanks!