RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Extended Warranty Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-11, 07:57 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extended Warranty Help

I did a search without much luck, so I'll get to the point.

Did you buy a extended warranty for you RX 350 and were did you buy from.

I picked my new RX up this week and was offered a package through the Lexus dealership
which uses only Lexus parts, but I thought was expensive.

There's so many "fly by night" company's offering warranty's, then go out of business.

Thanks for your input here.
Old 12-21-11, 08:17 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

The answer to your first question is "no" since I can choose to buy the extended up until the end of the factory at the posted price on every service advisors desk in the dealership. I'll see what mechanical issues, if any, I have after a few years then figure out what I want to do.

A good friend of mine is a finance manager at a GM dealership. I spoke with him about extended warranties on cars already outside their normal factory warranty. He told me the way to go moving forward is get the OEM one if you can before the end of the factory IF you can get it at the original price. He recommended only going with the aftermarket companies if you are in some situation where you are paranoid about something going horribly wrong with your car. Many of the aftermarket warranties require you to pay for the repairs out of pocket then submit the cost for reimbursement (sounds a lot like some health insurance providers). The decision is then up to the aftermarket company to figure out how much they will actually cover for the repair work done so you may not be reimbursed for the entire amount.
Old 12-21-11, 08:21 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought one for my new RX from Jerry Johnson, Midwest Toyota who was recommended by several people on this forum. His price for the 7yr/75000 no deductible Lexus Platinum warranty was almost $800 less then my dealers price.
Old 12-21-11, 08:58 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

OK fellows, Here's the deal.

The dealership I bought my RX 350 from last Monday quoted me a price of $2650.00 + tax
for a 8 y. 100,000 mile w/ zero deductible.
http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...elected=RX_350

I called them back and said, "no", I'll go $2000.00 even money including tax.
They said no way.

Then I called another Lexus dealership and guess what?

They will write the 8yr. 100,000 plan for $2,000 w/ tax zero deductible, AND it's through LEXUS.................

Shop around people, shop around.
Old 12-21-11, 09:03 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
I can choose to buy the extended up until the end of the factory at the posted price on every service advisors desk in the dealership. I'll see what mechanical issues, if any, I have after a few years then figure out what I want to do.

CAUTION!
my friend when going this route.

If the price goes up from now until you decide to buy, you'll pay $$$$$ for the plan you choose.
Old 12-21-11, 10:13 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN

CAUTION!
my friend when going this route.

If the price goes up from now until you decide to buy, you'll pay $$$$$ for the plan you choose.
If it goes up a couple of percentage points a year I don't care. I'm not a big extended warranty fan anyway Aftermarket ones would go up as well. The RX comes with a 6 year factory powertrain/corrssion warranty right off the floor covering most of the big items that would/could go bad anyway besides

Powertrain Warranty (and Corrssion)
The Powertrain Warranty is for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Except for the situations listed on the Basic Warranty page, this warranty covers repairs needed to fix defects in materials or workmanship of any component listed below:

Engine
Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

Transmission and Transaxle
Case and all internal parts, torque converter, clutch cover, mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

Front-Wheel-Drive System
Driveshaft, axle, hub, bearings, seals and gaskets

Rear-Wheel Drive System
Differential carrier assembly, driveshaft, axle carrier, axle case, axle bearing, axle shaft, seals and gaskets

But it sounds like you got a good deal on the 8 year.

Last edited by MX5NES350; 12-21-11 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-21-11, 12:18 PM
BlueSurf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the rounds last year looking for a great deal on a Lexus extended warranty. I called many of the names & dealers mentioned on these forums. I purchased a 7 yr. 100,000/$0. Plat. extended plan for my 450H.
I watched my brothers warranty run out on a Mercedes only to get the next repair bill for $4500.00.! I decided to hedge my bet on a repair with an extended warranty. The best deal was through Toby Rivers @ Lexus of Shreveport 800-335-3987. Fyi.. if you purchase out of your Home State you pay no sales tax. I paid 2000.00. and Toby beat the next lowest price by $140.00) My dealer wanted $2800. and wouldn't budge.

Last edited by BlueSurf; 12-21-11 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-21-11, 12:42 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not worried about the power train, I'm worried about the NAV system crapping out or another high cost replacement item like a rear hatch. These sorts of costs will pay for the extended warranty for the first claim.
Old 12-21-11, 01:22 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I'm not worried about the power train, I'm worried about the NAV system crapping out or another high cost replacement item like a rear hatch. These sorts of costs will pay for the extended warranty for the first claim.
Exactly. I've had extended warranties on the 300 and 330 that paid for themselves in one repair. There's nothing better than having your SA tell you your RX needs an expensive fix but it won't cost a thing.
Old 12-21-11, 01:24 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

had a 2001 Lexus and a 2004 Lexus up until 2011 and Neither of them ever had a maintenance issue. just bought a 2012 RX450 and skipped the extended warrany
Old 12-21-11, 03:50 PM
VET4LES
Driver School Candidate

I will look into the Lexus warranty when the factory warranty is about to expire on my 2011 RX350. I see no benefit in paying for double coverage. At that time I will look into extending it another five years or so.
Old 12-21-11, 07:16 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I will look into the Lexus warranty when the factory warranty is about to expire on my 2011 RX350. I see no benefit in paying for double coverage. At that time I will look into extending it another five years or so.
Like I write by waiting your taking a chance on the prices going up.
The best prices are when the unit is new, and shop around, they do vary even from dealer to dealer.

I never believed in extended warranty's, until I notice the electronic jungle those RX 350 are to work on.
Old 12-23-11, 08:51 AM
kartah
Driver School Candidate

Bought my RX 350 brand new in November and got the extended warranty to 8 years w/ 75K miles, along with the Tire and Wheels warranty (5 years). I I think paid about $2700 for both. Being in the city with lots of pot holes traps everywhere (had two bent rims on my last Lexus IS300), I decided to get the Tires and Wheels warranty along with it. With Lexus offering 0.9% financing for 5 years, I felt that it was worth the peach of mind.
Old 12-23-11, 10:29 AM
jamiec
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the 7/75,000 Platinum w/o deductible from the dealer and paid $1550, talked them down from $2,700.
Old 12-23-11, 12:02 PM
mac12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I didn't take it when I bought in 2010. I will probably trade it for a new one before the factory warranty expires. If you buy the extended warranty and in a year or so decide you want to trade it in, is any part of the premium rebated??? Probably not???

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Help