RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
View Poll Results: What will the wife's response be"
A December to Remember, shell love it!
55.56%
Shell keep quiet knowing how hard it was to accomplish, but inside she'll be mad
5.56%
She'll complain about the color or something trivial, but will secretly love the surprise
22.22%
Shell freak out and yell at me for spending $54,000 without checking with her
16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

December to Remember is all set..... finally

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-11, 02:56 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy December to Remember is all set..... finally

I am trying to pull off my own version of a Lexus December to RememberBought a 2012 RX450 Hybrid in late November... dark grey pearl exterior, black leather interior with Navigation, premium and comfort packages, remote start, headlight adapt, parking assist, upgrade 19" tires and other features... .. to surprise my wife on Xmas morning.. after almost a month of hiding the car at work and neighbors house... the 25th is almost here!

I spent hours researching the Hybrid car features I wanted and to locate a dealership that the exact car i wanted, I had to drive the thing around a few times this month to keep the hybrid batteryfresh, i had to launder money around so the wife didnt notice the large payment, had to coordinate delivery and a ride with friends to hide it... and even arranged for Lexus to throw in the big red bow... needless to say, a lot of planning went into this and the 25th is finally here.. im sure the wife will still find something to complain about!.. ill post pics and an update in the 25th!!

Last edited by TampaOwner; 12-23-11 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-23-11, 03:07 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to say that it will go like this:

First she will be pissed that you spent 54K without her but she will love it.
Old 12-23-11, 03:12 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure of the initial reaction, but later when you want to take the car for a drive and you can't find the spare fob, you'll know she likes HER car!

Good luck and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-23-11, 06:25 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TampaOwner
I am trying to pull off my own version of a Lexus December to RememberBought a 2012 RX450 Hybrid in late November... dark grey pearl exterior, black leather interior with Navigation, premium and comfort packages, remote start, headlight adapt, parking assist, upgrade 19" tires and other features... .. to surprise my wife on Xmas morning.. after almost a month of hiding the car at work and neighbors house... the 25th is almost here!

I spent hours researching the Hybrid car features I wanted and to locate a dealership that the exact car i wanted, I had to drive the thing around a few times this month to keep the hybrid batteryfresh, i had to launder money around so the wife didnt notice the large payment, had to coordinate delivery and a ride with friends to hide it... and even arranged for Lexus to throw in the big red bow... needless to say, a lot of planning went into this and the 25th is finally here.. im sure the wife will still find something to complain about!.. ill post pics and an update in the 25th!!

All this means is all those "December to Remember" ads on TV are working.
Old 12-23-11, 06:33 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Personally from passed experience, I would hate if my wife would spend that much money on me
when I didn't have a say in color, options, or maybe I might had another vehicle in mind.

A surprise like this in our house could go either way, but the % of it going sour would be good.

We plan together on purchases this big.

I hope it works out for you.
Old 12-23-11, 06:40 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

I'd have to say she'll go from initially being annoyed about spending that much money to being happy you got it for her. Good luck!
Old 12-23-11, 06:46 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

I wish I would have saved that e-mail video were this wife is raging on her husband
about the cheap gift he gave her, then opens up the door to leave and there sits a new Cadillac
in the drive for her.

She gets all excited, runs out, starts it up and the hole thing blows up with her in it.

He stands there in the door way with his morning coffee, smiles, then closes the door.
Old 12-23-11, 07:43 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

im 100% confident she wants the car.... shes made that clear so I am good there. Im a little worried about interior color (black) in Florida... it will be easy for her to complain about how its too hot... but to counter that, the car has the cooled seats and the remote start to cool the car before she gets in. Shell find something to complain about....they always do
Old 12-23-11, 07:47 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Not to worry. I bought the 1st Lexus back when my wife was still able to drive. And just prior to my Navy retirement which meant we were still figuring out retirement finances. I brought it home and she went wild. We went for a ride to Gulfport, did a little gambling on the slots, dinner, and back home. The good dinners got even better. You did good
Old 12-24-11, 02:55 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure she will enjoy the car. Just a heads up ... be sure to read the consumer warning on the big red bow. It should read ... gifts are excluded from community property in a divorce settlement. I have done my brothers last two divorces and his last wife claimed the car was a gift (purchased right before Xmas); thus claimed it was her property and excluded from the settlement. Still wanted half the financial interest in his car ... ha ha ha. It was messy.

Last edited by UCSB; 12-24-11 at 03:07 AM.
Old 12-24-11, 04:48 AM
TampaOwner
Driver

Originally Posted by UCSB
I'm sure she will enjoy the car. Just a heads up ... be sure to read the consumer warning on the big red bow. It should read ... gifts are excluded from community property in a divorce settlement. I have done my brothers last two divorces and his last wife claimed the car was a gift (purchased right before Xmas); thus claimed it was her property and excluded from the settlement. Still wanted half the financial interest in his car ... ha ha ha. It was messy.

because this was a secret, i had to do the title and everything else is in my name only... oops!
Old 12-24-11, 07:12 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by InRBigness
I would like to say that it will go like this:

First she will be pissed that you spent 54K without her but she will love it.
+1 This option is missing from the poll so I cannot vote
Old 12-24-11, 07:25 AM
mac12
Intermediate

I have the black interior also and it gets hot where we live, but it's not a problem. I think the black looks better than any other, especially when it gets some age on it. Your wife should love it.
Old 12-24-11, 07:35 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm impressed you were able to keep it a secret so long. Not sure if I could pull that off. I hope you let us know the final results, how can anyone be upset about getting a Lexus for X-mas. There is always one out there I guess.

Good Luck.......
Old 12-24-11, 08:06 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I showed my spouse this post at our morning coffee and she said "that is so cute and I won't be pissed because I know that my husband would know whether or not we can afford it". You did great.

Before we bought the 2010, she rode the 07 IS250. We talked about getting her the RX. I went to wash the car at the dealer in the IS and came home with the RX because "...it is easier to buy a new car than cleaning it...hahaha - I stole this tagline from one member here...."

Great job. Happy holidays.

Quick Reply: December to Remember is all set..... finally