RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Simoniz Glasscoat

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-11, 03:57 PM
FirstRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simoniz Glasscoat

Hello everyone,

Happy Holidays. Does any one had Simoiz Glasscoat on their cars and any opinions regarding this? They are asking $800 for that. Confused...

Thank you....Will really appreciate a reply...
Old 12-24-11, 05:34 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just spit balling here after a few bevies but I vote: NO!!!!

For interior stuff there are many things that work, for exterior look for threads about Zaino, McGuires etc and check out the detailing forum.

I know this may not be the time to let this out but there is no Santa Claus or Detailing Fairy. This means there is no wonder product that will do everythig . So as my father told me a long time ago: "two left shoes are never a deal, unless you have two left feet"" If it smells like a duck, its a bridge and thus made of stone and will sink so therrfore you are a witch." (Holy Grail)

Seriously save your money and go to the Detailers section and buy some quality products and see what you can do. Autogeek, detailers domain and others. They all give ClubLexus discounts.

Here is a referance of what is possible.:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ino-waxes.html
Old 12-26-11, 01:12 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you spell it correctly (Simoniz Glasscoat) and google it on the web, you will see many detailed discussions about it from people that have purchased it. One thing you will notice is that people were paying much less than $800. I just keep three coats of Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax on my car at all times. This keeps the paint like new. But, my cars get very light usage and frequent wash/wax care out here in CA.
Old 12-26-11, 04:53 PM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't do the glasscaoat either, then the salesman gave me a two oz. bottle of it. I didn't think that that was enough to do the entire vehicle, but it was a plenty. I cleaned the car good and applied it with a microfiber pad and it kept on spreading and spreading. I couldn't believe how far a little dab went. Anyway, I am more than pleased with the results. The paint shines through the dirt and water beads off it like I don't know what. That was about a year ago that I applied it. But to answer your question, don't pay the dealer to do it. I think the last offer from them to do it was around $350.
Old 12-26-11, 10:23 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It looks very easy to apply ... it would be interesting if they sold this for end-user application.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boQ5unUxjuY
Old 12-27-11, 07:43 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Interesting video. A few items I would put into question being the glass half empty person I am

First it reminds me of the old NuFinish commercials of running "...the car through 52 car washes and the water still beads!!!"

Second, if this was "internal" as the promo suggests then why would the first gentlemen, Mark Trahan (wearing the Simoniz hat), have to introduce himself as being FROM Simoniz. When I present to internal folks within my company I relay what division I am with or my area of expertise but they already know that I am FROM my company.

Third, Mark the presenter says "This isn't infomercial type stuff". Ummm... judging from what the snippet is presenting, yes it is. I am waiting to see this when I can't sleep and am up at 3 a.m. I would imagine it somewhere in between a 3 stooges re-run and a Shark steam mop commercial.

And last, the vehicle they are testing they state there is no protection whatsoever on the passenger half of the hood. You can see that from the way the water is just laying there. Do a side by side comparison of even NuFinish to establish some form of credibility. All they have done is establish a baseline of performance, IMO. Mark says they are doing some clinical testing against competitors but there is no additional reference.

Granted, it seems to be a decent product. However, without side by side testing it holds as much merit with me as their old Liquid Diamond product when they would go around to car shows and light a hood on fire.
Old 12-27-11, 08:04 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Products like that 'appear' to work. And maybe they do, I don't know. But can the chemical action in them cause harm to the paint's natural life span ??? I don't know (and don't want to find out in a negative sense in 3 or 4 years), but keeping my car in the garage when I'm not driving it makes wax last a long time too. And it's kind of nice at least once a year to run your hands over the entire finish with cheese cloth to carefully rub off any of those road substances that invariably cling to the surface.

To me, using that stuff would be like weak long deodorant and not having to shower. Yuk !!!

Last edited by Cruiter; 12-27-11 at 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling