RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Accuracy of ETA with Nav system

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-12, 01:44 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Eta

Originally Posted by ryca
I have given up on the ETA. It is very frustrating that I can not get an accurate time even with the adjustments. If I want an accurate time I input it into my Garmin as well. Certainly seems ridiculous after spending $2000 for the nav system that I need to do this.
RYCA
The ETA works on the Lexus. It just has to be set up correctly. You just need to spend a few minutes learning how to set it up.
Old 04-21-12, 05:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
RYCA
The ETA works on the Lexus. It just has to be set up correctly. You just need to spend a few minutes learning how to set it up.
Agreed. The ETA works just fine if set up correctly.
Old 04-21-12, 08:18 AM
ryca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It works very well if all your travel is interstate but it does not work well if you are in a rural area and some of the local roads are 55 and others are 35. I have set mine up correctly and while the time is better it can not compare with a cheap GPS that has most of the speed limits for the roads in its memory
Old 04-21-12, 10:05 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The ETA is right on for me. The nav sets a time and the I drive however is required to meet that time. Perfect.
Old 04-21-12, 10:09 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Ryca, I believe you are correct on that point, accuracy is better on straight shots of interstate, traffic free interstate.
Old 04-21-12, 12:22 PM
ryca
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I like that idea of driving to the ETA instead of vice versa. Will have to try once!
Old 04-21-12, 01:59 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

ETA works fine but set up must be done adequately based on all types of speeds you adjust (legal or what you are performing on road)
The thing is rather quite fine and accurate. Always used it and never failed (5minutes more or less depending on the speed used at the end of the trip.
Old 04-22-12, 11:38 AM
MoonShell
Driver School Candidate

Default Why settle for less than the best?

To those who state that the Lexus GPS ETA works fine, if you set it up correctly, I suggest that you are missing the point. Yes, the system will work if the roads you drive have consistent speed limits, but here, out west, freeways can vary from 55 MPH to 75 MPH and two lane state roads from 35 MPH to 65 MPH, so setting up the system before traveling does not make sense and one certainly cannot do when in motion.

The technology exists [and is in use by systems that cost a fraction of the price of the Lexus Navigation] that recognizes road speed limit changes at the exact point of change and adjust the ETA based on real and not assumed values. Lexus is a top of the line manufacturer and one would expect its Navigation system also to be leading edge, but it is not, so rather than attempting to defend and suggest workarounds, why not demand the best?
Old 04-22-12, 12:57 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MoonShell
To those who state that the Lexus GPS ETA works fine, if you set it up correctly, I suggest that you are missing the point. Yes, the system will work if the roads you drive have consistent speed limits, but here, out west, freeways can vary from 55 MPH to 75 MPH and two lane state roads from 35 MPH to 65 MPH, so setting up the system before traveling does not make sense and one certainly cannot do when in motion.

The technology exists [and is in use by systems that cost a fraction of the price of the Lexus Navigation] that recognizes road speed limit changes at the exact point of change and adjust the ETA based on real and not assumed values. Lexus is a top of the line manufacturer and one would expect its Navigation system also to be leading edge, but it is not, so rather than attempting to defend and suggest workarounds, why not demand the best?
Don't agree with you MoonShell, because in France, the system takes into account speed limits of the roads taken for the trip.
Of course you can have different speed limits on the same road trip,
so what?
this is already in the calculation mode with the mapping system except one thing (available on bmw coming next... which is the geography of the planned routes (i.e. height above/below sea level) which should be apparently an advantage to optimize use of hybrid system). But this is to be demonstrated.

However, even though you have different speed limits, the vsystem calculates an average which is never an exact figure (result).
Old 04-23-12, 07:57 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

I've just returned from a 500+ miles trip with the wife with highways varying from 55mph to 65mph limits where I would range between 55 and 75 and the areas where we were staying ranged from 25mph to 45mph with towns, countryside and in between. My ETA's on trips from 20 minute drives to 2+ hour drives varied around 3-4 minutes depending on traffic. So for me, the ETA's on v11.1 seem to work just fine. If I am stuck in traffic the ETA would increase, if I were traveling at a faster clip than the speed limit the ETA would decrease. So for me it works just fine
Old 04-23-12, 01:23 PM
MoonShell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Alpy64
Don't agree with you MoonShell, because in France, the system takes into account speed limits of the roads taken for the trip.
Of course you can have different speed limits on the same road trip,
so what?
this is already in the calculation mode with the mapping system except one thing (available on bmw coming next... which is the geography of the planned routes (i.e. height above/below sea level) which should be apparently an advantage to optimize use of hybrid system). But this is to be demonstrated.

However, even though you have different speed limits, the vsystem calculates an average which is never an exact figure (result).
Alpy64

Are we writing about the same system? Mine has 3 speed presets: Residential, Main Streets and Freeways. If I'm on an extended road trip and not driving on Freeways [set at 65 MPH] than the Lexus System assumes I'm driving on Main Streets [set now at 40 MPH] or residential [now set at 30 MPH] On our most recent trip over half of the driving was on state roads and most of those had a speed limit of 55 or 65 MPH. The ETA projection on my sytem is based solely on the preset speeds not on the actual posted speeds so for this trip the projection was 8 hours for a trip that took 5 1/2 [Google Maps also calculated 5 1/2 hours]. Yes my system adjusts the ETA as I drive but at the preset rate, e.g. 40 MPH not at the posted road speed.

Does the Navi sytem in your Lexus not have the three speed presets and instead knows the post road speeds and if so how can I upgrade to that system?
Old 04-24-12, 12:08 AM
MC5Wes

Default Eta

There is no upgrade to your Nav system. Only updates to the maps.

Also on your problem. Is it off that much to worry about? A minute? An hour ?

ETA stands for " Estimated Time of Arrival ". Not " Exact Time of Arrival" .

With so many possible variables. Is there any system that counts down to zero as you pull up to your destination?
Old 04-24-12, 06:58 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
...Is there any system that counts down to zero as you pull up to your destination?
Anyone with kids riding in the back care to respond?
Old 04-24-12, 10:52 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

My nav seems to be working fine. The ETA is dead on.
Old 04-25-12, 12:46 AM
MC5Wes

Default Kids

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Anyone with kids riding in the back care to respond?
I have the Rear Entertainment System in my RX. The second best invention ever made. Took my Daughter and Grandkids to Palm Springs from LA once. Didnt hear a peep the entire trip. Almost forgot they were back there.

The best invention? Sirius backseat TV. 3 channels of TV for the kids. Nickelodeon, Disney and Cartoon Network.

Dont even need to change the DVDs.